When Did Encampments Stop Being Two Weeks?

Started by ProdigalJim, August 31, 2011, 07:11:28 PM

ProdigalJim

Just curious...WIWAC in 1979, we went away for two-week encampments. Now as I look around, it looks as if they're all one-week activities.

When did that change? Was it a budget thing? A time commitment thing? Both?

Like I said, I'm comparing/contrasting the CAP I'm in now to the CAP I was in then, and this one came up as interesting change. Does anyone know?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

There are also at least two which are two weekends.

I don't recall encampments being longer than a week since before I joined in 99.

There are fewer facilities, less interest, and a more structured curriculum now.   I don't know too many people who could take two weeks off of work to do a CAP encampment, nor many cadets who could / would be interested in double the expense, which in some cases would exceed $600 plus transport.
Many have so many sports and other commitments just getting them for a week is a challenge.

Availability of CAP-USAF resources is also an issue.

NESA seems to be one of the few continued success stories that lasts two weeks, but even at that not everyone goes for both weeks.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

My first year at encampment in 1987, encampment was 2 weeks for staff.  First week was ECSS (encampment cadet staff selection), which involved training the staff as well, followed by the actual encampment.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Boy, I wish we had that many cadets these days who would show up before being selected.

We have some who won't even apply until after they've been assured they "rightful place".

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

Yeah, I've been following some of those types of discussions here on CT for awhile. Weird.

I went to a NY Wing Type A at Plattsburgh AFB in 1980, on staff, and as I recall we went up a day early, just to get organized. Then it was two weeks...I'm trying to remember how much it cost, but I'm remembering something unbelieveably cheap, like maybe $75 or so. Granted, that was 1980 dollars, but still, it was pretty good.

And we had something like 200 cadets for that event. Even the week-long Type Bs at Fort Drum were around 100 cadets, I think.

I loved every minute of all three I attended. And I think the difference in learning, bearing, adjustment, etc., from one week to two is huge.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2011, 07:31:55 PM
Boy, I wish we had that many cadets these days who would show up before being selected.

We have some who won't even apply until after they've been assured they "rightful place".

Make it that way.  I wouldn't care if only 20 cadets showed up to encampment.  At least they wouldn't show up expecting to be handed their certificate without the sweat, and sometimes tears.
Serving since 1987.

Ron1319

I believe Eclipse's comment was about cadet staff wanting to do a specific job at encampment.

OHWG encampments in 92-95 were 1 week.  Staff selection wasn't nearly as big of a deal as it seems to be, now.  We filled out a short application and the encampment commander decided who got the executive staff spots, then the executive staff assigned cadets to staff positions based on their requests and what made sense.  Easy.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

RickFranz

1969 - 1976 the encampments I went to in 3 different Wing were all one week long.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Eclipse

Quote from: Ron1319 on September 01, 2011, 10:06:37 PM
I believe Eclipse's comment was about cadet staff wanting to do a specific job at encampment.

OHWG encampments in 92-95 were 1 week.  Staff selection wasn't nearly as big of a deal as it seems to be, now.  We filled out a short application and the encampment commander decided who got the executive staff spots, then the executive staff assigned cadets to staff positions based on their requests and what made sense.  Easy.

Correct, also, it takes 4-6 months to plan an encampment, so I don't know how you have cadets otherwise not engaged, who are only just getting their jobs, and expect them to get things done in a few days, unless you are basically handing them a script and saying "stand over there" (which some encampments do).

"That Others May Zoom"