Main Menu

New Squadron Commander

Started by caphornbuckle, September 04, 2006, 05:55:57 AM

caphornbuckle

If it's alright with the CAP Talk Community and their moderators, I would like to start a journal of my experiences as a new squadron commander and document them on here for present and future commanders to learn from my mistakes and to help give me advice on things that I have done right, wrong, or otherwise.

Of course names and other identifying features will be changed for obvious reasons.

I would appreciate any input on this idea.  I know I could have probably posted it anyways and it wouldn't be any different but I want to know if anyone would read it or not.  I don't want to waste my time on it if it won't be read.

Thanks
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Cobra1597

I'm not a moderator or anything, but I might suggest opening a free account with blogger.com (run by google) or something. Probably would be easier and better than doing it here.

I would be very interested in reading it.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

caphornbuckle

Quote from: NIN on September 04, 2006, 06:49:55 AM
Start a journal at SquadronCommand.com

Geez

I would, sir, if squadroncommand.com was updated.  The information posted in there seems a little out of date considering most of the posts on there are dated 2005 and earlier.

Quote from: Cobra1597 on September 04, 2006, 06:41:29 AM
I'm not a moderator or anything, but I might suggest opening a free account with blogger.com (run by google) or something. Probably would be easier and better than doing it here.

I would be very interested in reading it.

That's an excellent idea!  I'm fairly new to this "blog" thing but it seems more appropriate for what I have planned.

Thanks for the input all!!!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

shorning

Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 04, 2006, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: NIN on September 04, 2006, 06:49:55 AM
Start a journal at SquadronCommand.com

Geez

I would, sir, if squadroncommand.com was updated.  The information posted in there seems a little out of date considering most of the posts on there are dated 2005 and earlier.

It's not more updated, because people say "I would, but...".  Of course it's not going to be updated if no one posts anything... ::)

Pylon

Major, you're more than welcome to share your thoughts and experiences with us here at CAPTalk.  I don't know if we'd be the easiest format to do it with, but if that's what you'd like to do, we welcome your participation and sharing of knowledge in any format.

However, I would also invite you to consider some of the other options out there and personally decide which seems best to you.  As was already mentioned, you could use a free blog service, which would essentially amount to an online "journal" of sorts, which would automatically catalogue your entires, and even allow visitors to comment on each posting.

You may also want to consider contacting Maj Tedd Agnelo of Civil Air Portal about running your observations and comments as an article series from the perspective of a new commander.  They run a lot of decent articles, and their site is up-to-date and commands a fair deal of traffic, I believe, as well.

NIN's suggestion of SquadronCommand makes sense, because that website is about the very topic of which you intend to write.  It's a logical fit, and perhaps you could help them bring their website back on track by sending them your articles for posting there.

Heck, you might even consider two or three of these options.  The more the merrier.

Good luck with your command and thanks for sharing your experiences with other CAP members, no matter what venue you choose to do it with. 

Best,
Mike Kieloch
CAPTalk Co-Administrator
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on September 05, 2006, 02:30:35 AM
You may also want to consider contacting Maj Tedd Agnelo of Civil Air Portal about running your observations and comments as an article series from the perspective of a new commander.  They run a lot of decent articles, and their site is up-to-date and commands a fair deal of traffic, I believe, as well.

Thanks for the plug.  :)

Mike Johnston
CivilAirPortal Global Moderator
Mike Johnston