Movie Review: Letters From Iwo Jima

Started by MIKE, July 03, 2007, 03:09:38 AM

MIKE

Is IMO the better of the two films... The other being Flags of Our Fathers.

I thought I wouldn't enjoy it much, thinking that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the subtitles... but I managed to for the most part.  At least seeing it on DVD you can always go back if you miss something.

Still have to check out the special features... 

I'm hoping they come out with a special edition of both films as it would make a decent boxed set.
Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

I also expected the subtitles to be a distraction....after the first few scenes I forgot they were there, even while reading them....very powerful film, and I agree, somewhat the better of the two....perhaps because the story line was more sharply focused.

wingnut

I had a personal desire to see the movie because I had spent some time looking for remains of GIs on Saipan in 76, I was astonished at the level of casualties on both sides, the japanese soldiers were underfed and often sick. But I was pleasently surprised to see the (Character) Japanese Baron who was a Gold Medal winner at the 32 olympics in Los Angeles. Several years ago a very elderly Neighbor Lady had shown me picture of this man at the olympics, her Father was a US Army calvary Officer who became friends of this man and he had given them a gift from japan. Pictures and her story came to life, the lady was at pearl Harbor on December 7th and had some great stories.  It was sad to see how fast the war had become a Total war, a war of cultures, savage, no quarter given on either side.

Another great film is Das Boat, great view of the other side. I suspect that as many of our Veterans pass we will see more movies that give a different view. I have a friend who mother was fire bombed in Tokyo she is still afraid to talk about it.

MIKE

Quote from: wingnut on July 06, 2007, 02:40:43 AM
Another great film is Das Boat, great view of the other side.

Directors cut was on AMC last weekend.  Stayed up past 0030 watching it.  I suspect it is better in the original German even though the English was dubbed over by the original cast.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

I did not really care for FLAGS.............it seemed to get way to "emotional" and I did not enjoy the amount of depth they took into each persons life.  It was advertised in a very different light......more action and less "love". 

I would also say the dialogue seemed a bit dry the entire length and there were parts where you had to pay very close attention to what was said because they spoke too fast, or too many people were speaking. 

It was interesting to see the lengths the military went too during the war to spread propaganda.  I wonder if they still do that today??
What's up monkeys?

wingnut

The LAST FLAG RAISER ON IWO JIMA PASSED

SEMPER FIDELIS 

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on July 06, 2007, 02:57:57 AM
I suspect it is better in the original German even though the English was dubbed over by the original cast.

Das Boot is indeed much better in the original German, in my opinion.  You can find versions with original German soundtrack and English subtitles fairly easy.  Frankly, most all foreign films worth anything are much better when experienced with the original soundtrack.

Have yet to see Letters from Iwo Jima yet; it's on my list though.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP