Mitchell Award Ceremony

Started by GoofyOne, October 09, 2007, 02:32:44 AM

GoofyOne

Has anybody seen or put together a formal program or format for a Mitchell Award Ceremony?

Robert Hartigan

I put one together from old (1960's-70's) Leadership Laboratory manuals. This lasts for about 25 minutes if you factor in the promotion ceremony and photos. While I can't copyright this I would like credit for keeping it "alive" and a part of the cadet program. The Mitchell is a big deal, sometimes I think it is bigger than the Spaatz.

Anyway here is what I stole from Jack Sorensen.

PRELUDE for All Awards
We are members of Civil Air Patrol. We stand in the shadow of a long line of American heroes who served as minutemen of the air - Gill Robb Wilson, Hap Arnold, Ben Curry, Tooey Spaatz, and many others who fanned the flame of volunteer service to our nation.
Membership in Civil Air Patrol demands dedication to the principles of freedom and aggressive action to sustain our nation's aerospace supremacy. We do still more. We assist in providing emergency services, we foster the development of aerospace education, and we are the foundation of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. We dedicate ourselves to the sustenance of aerospace power. We dedicate ourselves to the principles of aerospace leadership, and we set an example for all Americans to follow in a world dominated by air and space vehicles. We dedicate ourselves to the continued progress of our community, state, and nation.

INTERLUDE, EULOGY, and BENEDICTION
for the General Billy Mitchell Award with Promotion:

INTERLUDE - Mitchell AWARD
The Civil Air Patrol cadet assembled here is to be honored for attaining significant achievements in the CAP Cadet Program. We may reasonably ask what he has accomplished to be commissioned as cadet officer in Civil Air Patrol and recognized in the name of General Billy Mitchell, a man who believed that our greatest strength was to be realized in the complete use of aviation in the national defense. The answer is complex. This fledgling has successfully completed Phase I and Phase II of the CAP Cadet Program and earned the General Billy Mitchell Award. He has participated in a CAP encampment. He has developed progressively responsible leadership skills in a rigorous leadership laboratory. He has mastered six comprehensive courses of instruction in the CAP aerospace education program. He has maintained commendable example of good moral leadership in his daily life, and he has attained high standards of individual performance in a dynamic physical fitness program. His achievements have equipped him as Billy Mitchell would have required that he be equipped for significant service in an aerospace world. He is alert, enthusiastic, keen of mind, tenacious — fine examples of young America. His achievements offer a tribute to the ideals in which Billy Mitchell believed, and these same accomplishments provide personal monuments that will serve as vital checkpoints in his flight through life.

EULOGY: MITCHELL AWARD
Orville taught him to fly. From the beginning aviation was his first love; a separate Air Force, his Holy Grail. No free man can know the thoughts or plans of an aggressor. Free men must know that in strength lies security and that basic national security must be inviolable. In his heart there grew a deep suspicion that our security was a house divided against itself. Billy Mitchell believed that our greatest strength was to be derived from the complete adaptation, of aviation to the national defense. He tried, in his own way, to justify his beliefs. The Virginia Capes and the Osfriesland were his arena. Skeptics from home and abroad came and saw. The unsinkable was sunk, but this knight, unlike Sir Galahad, was to be denied the Grail for which he laid down his career. Today as fierce fighters surge aloft in the soft light of dawn, today as heavy bombers thunder across night skies, they play a symphony of freedom to this crusader who achieved his greatness in the pages of aviation history.

Present the Mitchell Award with narrative about its significance to Civil Air Patrol
The General Billy Mitchell Award has existed since 1964. This award honors the late Brigadier General Billy Mitchell, aviation pioneer, advocate, and staunch supporter of an independent Air Force for America.
This structured program is divided into 16 segments called achievements, involving study and performance in the five program areas. Upon completion of each achievement, the cadet earns increased responsibility, decorations, awards, eligibility for national and international special activities, and opportunities for both flight and academic scholarships. Completing many of the achievements also earn the cadet a higher grade.
The second milestone of this endeavor is the General Billy Mitchell Award which is earned after completing the first eight achievements of the cadet program. In addition, the cadet must pass an arduous 100 question examination testing leadership theory and aerospace topics. Since its inception over 43 years ago, over 42,000 cadets have earned this honor.
Once the cadet earns the Mitchell Award, they are promoted to the grade of Cadet 2d Lieutenant. These cadets, who later enter the CAP's Senior Member program, are eligible for immediate promotion to CAP 2d Lt at age 21.
Those cadets who receive the Mitchell Award are also eligible for advanced placement in the grade of E-3 (Airman First Class) should they choose to enlist in the US Air Force (AETCI 36-2002, Chapter 2, Table 2.1). They are also eligible for advanced credit in the Air Force ROTC program (AFROTCI 36-2011, 2.5.6). Mitchell Award cadets may also apply for a variety of scholarships and CAP special activities.

The Cadet Oath Administered by Squadron CC or Cadet Commander
"I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state, and nation."
Promote Cadet

Attention to Orders read out loud by personnel officer"Attention to Orders: Personnel Action 07-0628, dated 28 June 2007. Effective this date, Cadet John Miller is promoted to Cadet Second Lieutenant, with a date of rank of 10 May 2007.

EULOGY - - CADET OFFICER COMMISSIONING read by new cadet officer or Group Commander
The shoulder boards of a CAP cadet officer clearly show that I am a leader in Civil Air Patrol. But the boards are only symbols, symbols of the responsibilities I must accept with officer grade. It is easy to accept the symbols of leadership. It is not easy to accept the responsibilities of leadership. As a young cadet officer I may make mistakes. That's only human. If I shirk, shortcut, or fail to respond to the fundamentals of leadership I will surely get off course. And it will be no one's fault but my own, especially if I don't take stock of myself and solve the problems inherent in my own performance. I can, however, learn and profit from my errors, and become a better person and leader in so doing. If I do not know from whence I came, I have no reason for thinking I know where I am going. Maturity of judgment I must develop, for it is at a premium in all situations where the shoulder boards identify me. I know that in the future it will take many leadership skills to steer a ship of state on an ocean of air or space, and I must be prepared. Discipline is the price of excellence. If I'm to be worthy of the boards and equal to the challenge, I must be ready. Each time I proudly perform above and beyond the mere requirements of duty, a heartening inspiration radiates from the center of my activity. And perhaps this is the secret of greatness in a nation and its people. A proud country can only be created by proud, capable men and women.

BENEDICTION-- CADET OFFICER COMMISSIONING
So long as this is a free man's world somebody has to lead;
Somebody has to carry the ball in word and though and deed;
Somebody's got to knock on doors which never have known a key;
Somebody's got to see the things that the throng would never see.
Hotter than thrust when the boost is hit,  somebody's faith must burn
And faster than mach when the rocket's lit, somebody's mind must turn;
Somebody s got to get the proof for what the designers plan;
And test the dreams that the prophets dream in behalf of their fellow man.
Somebody's got to think of pay in terms that are more than gold;
And somebody has to spend himself to buy what the heavens hold;
Somebody's got to leave the crowd and walk with his fears alone;
Somebody's got to accept the thorns and weave for himself a crown.
It's ever thus as the ages roll and the record's written clear - -
Somebody has to give himself as the price of each frontier;
Somebody has to take a cross and climb to a rendezvous
Where a lonesome man with a will to lead can make the truth shine through.
Gill Robb Wilson

BENEDICTION - MITCHELL AWARD
High Flight
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter - silvered
wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling
mirth
Of sun - split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy
grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Pylon

Wow... awesome ceremony.  For the record here, do you have versions for other milestones as well?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Robert Hartigan

I am convinced that without sites like this our organization's history and heraldry would be lost to the musty old basements of long gone squadron commanders. I am also convinced there are no orginal ideas only new packaging. Great job, I hope that we are someday we are credited with fanning the flames of volunteer service!
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Pylon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 09, 2007, 11:52:18 AM
Here ya go...

http://texascadet.org/resources/miscresources/achievementceremonies/

Awesome resource!  I will most certainly use a lot of this material at our squadron's next awards banquet.  That's top quality stuff!  Thank you for sharing.

Psicorp

Fantastic!!  Thank you for sharing that.  My Squadron has three hardworking C/CMSgts who may all test for their Mitchell about the same time (there are friendly wagers about which will pass first) and I'd love to see a formal ceremony for them.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

smj58501

Here ya go...

These are awesome! One question... is there a workaround for the password protected ones? They are saved as forms, and when you go to unprotect the document (after downloading to my harddrive of course) to change the wing, etc. it asks you for a password.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Pylon

Quote from: smj58501 on October 11, 2007, 03:06:15 PM
These are awesome! One question... is there a workaround for the password protected ones? They are saved as forms, and when you go to unprotect the document (after downloading to my harddrive of course) to change the wing, etc. it asks you for a password.

How to unprotect a password-protected Word document

Al Sayre

^^ One of the most useful posts I've seen! ^^ You have just saved me several hundred hours of retyping forms... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

CadetProgramGuy

Why go through all that trouble?

Open the protected document....

EDIT - Select all
EDIT - Copy
Open new document
EDIT - Paste

Poof....There is a mirror document with out the passwords....

Works very well in all of the MS Office files.

GoofyOne

Thanks for the help and ideas, OUTSTANDING?  You have made my day and that of a couple of Mitchell cadets I know.

cnarf77

Here ya go...

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I used this as the basis for the Mitchell Award ceremony we did this week and it went really, really well. The squadron commander, cadet and his parents were delighted with it.

Thanks again.

Natalie Franc, 2nd Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Wheeler Composite Squadron, Hawaii Wing
Natalie Franc 2nd Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Wheeler Composite Squadron, Hawaii Wing

Rick-DEL

Hey Natalie,

I just saw this post while doing a search for "Wheeler". I was stationed there back in FEB 86 to NOV 88. Great assignment. I'd be curious to see how much of the base has changed since we handed it over to the Army.

Rick

Майор Хаткевич

Equinox

I was promoted to C/2nd Lt back in July and I STILL haven't had my ceremony.

Fancy that.  8)
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Offutteer

Sorry to bring this up again, but does anyone have a ceremony for a Spaatz Presentation?

Texas Wing reposted all of the them except for the Spaatz, http://www.texascadet.org/Resources.html The one that  AlphaSigOU created for Texas Wing was great.  Does anyone know if  AlphaSigOU is stil around?

a2capt

From the Wayback Machine .. :)

Carl Spaatz Achievement Presentation Ceremony
Narrator: Reads the CEREMONY PRELUDE:

"We are members of Civil Air Patrol. We stand in the shadow of a long line of American heroes who served as minutemen of the air—Gill Robb Wilson, Hap Arnold, Ben Curry, Tooey Spaatz, and many others who fanned the flame of volunteer service to our nation.

Membership in Civil Air Patrol demands dedication to the principles of freedom and aggressive action to sustain our nation's aerospace supremacy. We do still more. We assist in providing emergency services, we foster the development of aerospace education, and we are the foundation of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. We dedicate ourselves to the sustenance of aerospace power. We dedicate ourselves to the principles of leadership, and we set an example for all Americans to follow in a world dominated by air and space vehicles. We dedicate ourselves to the continued progress of our community, state, and nation."

Chaplain: Optional Invocation-
"Almighty God,
stretch forth your mighty arm
to strengthen and protect all those with us tonight,
our squadron members, guests, families,
and especially those that are to be honored this evening:
grant that, meeting obstacles with courage
and all occasions with discipline and integrity,
they may truly fulfill our call to service
and our commitment to our nation's future;
to uphold your holy name,
Amen."

Narrator: Reads the following Spaatz Achievement Eulogy:

A man destined for greatness, Spaatz graduated from the United States Military Academy and first found his wings in the United States Air Service, the infant flying service of his country. In the years following, he became a decorated pilot with numerous kills, later completing multiple service missions with Ira Eaker on the Mexican border. Awarded time and again for his feats of navigation and aviation expertise, Ira was a giant among his compatriots, heralded as an author, minuteman, and pioneer of his field. Striding behind the other great aviation activists of the era, his qualities of leadership and dedication to air power continued in the years between wars. Again with his co-pilot Spaatz, including the record breaking endurance flight of the Question Mark, and support of the Mitchell airpower philosophy: the quest of Air Force autonomy.

With his country again at war in 1942, he returned to combat, and formed the Eighth Air Force in England, and led the U.S. Strategic Air Forces in the European Theatre of Operations. He designed the plan and forged the structure, which through "round the clock" precision bombing hastened the Allied victory. The war in Europe won, this great air commander moved to the Pacific and applied his genius once more, again in victory.

The quest continued in postwar peace, and finally as first Chief of Staff of the United Sates Air Force, his quest for a singular and powerful air power recognized.

Narrator: Ask cadet(s) to be awarded the Spaatz Achievement to come forward. Once they have reported in, ask them to face the formation/assembly, and stand at attention.

Narrator: Reads the following Cadet Introduction:
NOTE: MODIFY THE FOLLOWING TO ACCOMADATE THE NUMBER OF CADETS

"The Civil Air Patrol cadet(s) standing before you is(are) to be honored for attaining the most significant achievement in the CAP Cadet Program, the General Carl A. Spaatz Award.

We may reasonably ask what they have accomplished to be recognized in the name of Tooey Spaatz, the pioneer aviator and distinguished serviceman. The answer is complex. These fledglings have completed all achievements in each of the four phases of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. They have mastered a comprehensive program of instruction in aerospace education, as well as mentored other cadets in their aerospace studies. They have developed increasingly complex leadership skills in rigorous leadership laboratories on the squadron level and other activities through the Cadet Training and Education Program. They have maintained commendable examples of moral leadership in their daily lives, and have attained the highest standards of individual performance in a dynamic physical fitness program. Furthermore, these cadets have completed several comprehensive exams and requirements, testing their Aerospace and Leadership knowledge and challenging their critical thinking and public speaking skills. Insert cadet(s) achievements here). This cadet has truly earned the prestige of wearing the mark of the Cadet Colonel- the three diamonds of a Spaatz cadet."

Chaplain: Optional Benediction-

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of- wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never Lark, or even Eagle flew -
And while with silent lifting mind, I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God".
- John Gillespie Magee, Jr, 1922-1944

Narrator: Introduce any pre-planned guest speakers who would like to provide insight into the cadet's career. This may be done by squadron commanders, former commanders, school officials, etc.

Narrator: Once speeches have concluded, invite the distinguished guest (an Air Force or CAP general officer, an elected state or federal official, or a cabinet level official) to present the cadet with the new grade insignia. DISTINGUISHED GUEST WILL USUALLY TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO GIVE THEIR OWN REMARKS. PLEASE ALLOW FOR THIS TIME. Parents may also come up at this time to be introduced and to witness the promotion. New insignia may be placed onto the already existing epaulets, or epaulets bearing the new insignia may be slipped on in place of the already worn epaulets. Certificates should also be presented at this time.

Once the cadet has received his or her insignia, they will render a salute. At this time, the cadet will approach the podium and give their response.

Narrator: Once cadet has finished speaking, thank audience for attending and dismiss for refreshments.