Retro CAP License Plate Topper

Started by ♠SARKID♠, July 18, 2015, 07:22:38 AM

♠SARKID♠

I just met one of my neighbors the other day. He recognized my CAP license plates and introduced himself to me, saying his father was in CAP way back when. He showed me a couple of things he had including the nifty license plate topper pictured below. Does anybody recognize it? I'm trying to give him a little info on when it came from and where it was sourced. Was this an old bookstore type of thing?

SarDragon

The pix don't show up. You need to use a different URL that doesn't need a log in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

PHall

I would say that those are from the late 40's - early 50's era.  Way before my time.

THRAWN

That is just plain vanilla cool. See if he can leave it to you in his will.

I just looked up the patent. Interesting info. Not sure if this link will work, but if you get a chance, take a peek:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=D132352.PN.&OS=PN/D132352&RS=PN/D132352
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MSG Mac

The fact that it's authorized by the Civil Defense Department infers that it's WWII vintage.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 23, 2015, 11:43:54 AM
The fact that it's authorized by the Civil Defense Department infers that it's WWII vintage.

I'm leaning more toward the style elements for the age. It looks like a 40's-50's era piece judging by the font. The OCD actually existed until the early 70's. Anyway you look at it, it's just really a neat thing.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

sardak

See first item in the letter. The cost was $1.00

Mike

MisterCD

Sardak is correct...and I am pleased to see using history.cap.gov :)

Earle L. Johnson had one of these on his desk, mounted in a wood base. I thought it a nice alternate use of the topper.

TarRiverRat

That would be a nice recreation to have.  I would sure love to have one.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057