Main Menu

New To Safety

Started by PaulR, November 08, 2008, 05:04:07 PM

PaulR

I will be transferring to a ship in Alameda this summer.  Since I will be leaving my family in Maine, I will volunteer with the CAP to help take up some of my new found free time.

Due to my experience as a shipboard medic(medical, occupational health/prevention, and environmental health), I was advised to go the Safety/Medic Route as a Senior Member Master Sergeant(my choice with the rank). 

1.  How many of you all fill these positions?
2.  What is your role in each weekly meeting?
3.  Events?

I am very excited about getting back into the program after so many years!

Regards
Paul

IceNine

Quote from: PaulR on November 08, 2008, 05:04:07 PM

1.  How many of you all fill these positions?
Everyone here  ;)
Quote from: PaulR on November 08, 2008, 05:04:07 PM
2.  What is your role in each weekly meeting?
Presenting at least monthly safety briefings, conducting facility and vehicle inspections/safety survey's, creating emergency plans, etc.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

EMT-83

Safety and medical are two vastly different specialty tracks. There have been numerous discusions on the shortcomings of the medical specialty track which I won't resurrect.

The safety track is pretty well defined; the safety section of cap.gov has plenty of information.

PaulR

Thanks guys! 

Yeah, I do know that the safety and medical depts are vastly different.  I do both as my primary job.  I have been trained in everything from seeing patients in both a clinical and emergency basis to food service sanitation and industrial hygiene to being fluent with the entire ICS(Incident Command  System is what will be used to organize deploy responding resources in time of National Emergency) program.   I will also check out that manual!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

There is no reason I should not able to do both, based upon what I have read thus far(is there?  ??? )

Thanks Ice Nine.  Those tasks dont sound too difficult. 

I can hardly wait to start! 

notaNCO forever

If you want you can have two specialty ratings, I know plenty of people that have two.

IceNine

Coming into this program your best resources for learning what you should be doing are CAP Pamphlet 217, the search function on this board, the few best practices that have been posted, and your group and wing Safety Officers.

As to the specialty tracks, there is no real track for Health or medical it is based off of your external training

Good luck!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PaulR

Thanks IceNine.  I read the pamphlet and the Technician Level sounds perfect. 

From what I have read, the Medical/Health track is mainly an instructional billet(Teaching first aid, CPR, and etc).  Not a problem. 

It does not seem like the specialties are too difficult.  I look forward to getting into the program.  Thank you all for your input.  I sincerely appreciate it. 

Hawk200

Quote from: NCO forever on November 09, 2008, 12:29:10 AM
If you want you can have two specialty ratings, I know plenty of people that have two.

For many that remain in CAP but change locations, it's common to have even more than that. I have ratings in three, and have worked in a three others, mostly filling in until someone became available to work in them. It's actually better to diversify, makes one more well rounded.

Duke Dillio

I play hockey in Alameda sometimes.  Lemme know when you are in town.  We can go and get a beer or something.

PaulR

Thanks for the replies.  I look forward to getting involved. 

I will be in Alameda in July!  We will definitely have to hook up!

Paul