CAP Distance Learning Webinars

Started by Tubacap, July 17, 2007, 12:19:05 PM

Tubacap

So this came out of the professional development, grade thread, but it is separate.  My question is, are there any wings out there that are using webinars or web conferencing of some sort to do SLS or any other training at that level? 

I think CAP could benefit a lot from using the internet in a more pro-active manner for training.  Posting powerpoints are fine, but imagine if there were videos posted like the ones on the PAO toolkit.  Could these be developed in the field and posted nationally?

How do we accomplish this?  Is it something that is worthwhile?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SarDragon

Having just completed participation in an SLS, I have to say that it is not appropriate for web-based training. There is too much class interaction involved, where the class breaks up into smaller groups and discusses a scenario, and presents a conclusion. I didn't get to see much of the concurrent CLC, but I would guess it presents similar situations.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Tubacap

Understood.  I have never taken SLS largely because whenever it is scheduled, I have a band job to do that day.  Somewhat frustrating how jobs get in the place of CAP work... 
NER-PA-001

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on July 17, 2007, 07:34:03 PM
Understood.  I have never taken SLS largely because whenever it is scheduled, I have a band job to do that day.  Somewhat frustrating how jobs get in the place of CAP work... 

Yea, I hacked your Outlook and I rescheduled SLS for then.  That's why we changed the date.  I've been heavily involved with the SLS and CLC backstage work for a whole bunch of them, so if you think it's personal that it was scheduled inconveniently, it probably is.   :)   :angel:

BTW, if you want to take an install of Moodle and start building some courses on the wing web site, feel free.

Tubacap

At least I know some of my information is safe!  I have never used Moodle before, I'm out all day today (ironically with CAP as was the last three days), but I'll take a look at it when I get home.  I think there are some basic things that would be very helpful.
NER-PA-001