Help! Leaving a large, stable squadron to help another?

Started by jfkspotting, July 26, 2018, 02:12:49 AM

jfkspotting

Here's the dillema.

I'm currently a cadet in a large, 63-strong unit with 5 officers and 15 NCO's.

There's a squadron of equal distance to me, with 30-strong cadets (1 officer (who I know well) and 4-5 NCO's)

I'm a C/CMSgt, and will be a C/2d Lt. by September; this smaller squadron ends at 2100 instead of 2200 (crucial for school nights), and the CC has said they could use a hand or two. It sounds too good to be true. Should I transfer? I don't want to just walk in and become DCC.

Eclipse

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 26, 2018, 02:12:49 AM
Should I transfer? I don't want to just walk in and become DCC.

No.  You're not even an officer yet yourself.

Consider yourself lucky that you are in a squadron that has a large enough scale to offer
many of the leadership opportunities that most can't, and just stay where you are.

It's pretty presumptuous of you to think you can just walk in there and run the show,
or even have an influential role before spending time there and seeing if you even fit.

If they really need help, ascertain exactly what that means, and then discuss with your CC
how and if it is possible to offer the other unit help.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Have both Squadron Commanders discuss what is meant by "A hand or two". Is Commander 1 asking you to become the Cadet Commander or is he asking you to help his current cadets in whatever areas they need help in.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

1.) What does "DCC" mean to you? Because that has nothing to do with Cadet Programs.

2.) What's the culture like at your home unit with you? What is your position? Do you understand the difference between a C/CMSgt and a C/2d Lt at this point?