why does CAP suck??

Started by capsgt4life, July 12, 2009, 03:11:00 AM

jimmydeanno

Ah, here we go.  Since many times it is easier to point out what makes CAP "suck"...

This is an actual response from a cadet who left the program shortly after joining. 

The question: Is there anything that your squadron could have done differently to meet your needs?
QuoteThe adults could have participated in a leadership role. They sat in their Adult only lounge and only came out for a few minutes of the meeting. There was no structure to the program for how we were to proceed or what units to study next with scheduled test dates. It's like they wanted it for their resumes only & by being present that somehow made it okay for them to just ignore the new cadets who were trying to become involved.

I couldn't participate in a lot of the activities because I wasn't advanced enough in the phases, but no one helped me with a plan to achieve them! I was promised that I would receive direction & support & have an aviation experience within the first year.. none of which happened. It was like the cadet officers were playing soldier & enjoyed drilling us, but not teaching or mentoring us.

It was a large unit with lots of new cadets when I joined & everyone dropped out because it was boring & we were tired of being yelled at during the only activity, physical fitness drills.. there was no point or direction to it. I was really saddened by this. Our unit was located on the base & I was very interested in the Air Force as something in my future.. not any more!

My grandfather was in the Air Force & my Great Grandfather was a civil air patrolman.. this was a very disappointing experience for me & my family.. I learned NOTHING. Really sad, because the first (and only test) that I took, I scored the highest out of all cadets.. I wanted more & no one would mentor me. The adults were all really lazy about this & the officers were on a power trip.. we should have been a unit, not separated by egos.

or this one, same question:
QuoteBe better organized, and not let large, incompetent families take over the squadron with no knowledge of what to do and putting their kids in posistions that they weren't qualified for where there were better options

or this one:
QuoteBeen more responsive to feedback and questions; have more adult leadership -- the kids were floundering.

or these:
QuoteThe squadron has a habit of promising activities (trips, bivouacs, etc.) and then just delaying them for months until they don't happen.

QuoteGrew out of it. Everything seemed to be the same. Same thing every meeting, same thing every mission. My squadron was great but very repetative and got boring really quickly.

QuoteToo much drama within the wing.

QuoteNot interested in CAP politics.

This quote relates directly to what we are talking about here, the disparity between units:

QuoteCAP was the best thing, when I lived in XX. Now that I am in XX it sucks. The first squadron I went to got shut down after I attended a few meetings. The second (In XX) had three other cadets; a C/CC, C/Flight Commander and a C/Flight Sergeant. That's what they called themselves. How does that even make sense? The highest was a chief so he should of only been a Flight Sergeant, the other two should of not been other high positions but in the "flight" (more of a half element really). Then the third I went to in XX was basically the definition of SNAFU. I was made C/CC, then the only other sergeant was made C/DC. I said that there should be a C/Flight sergeant, then in flight cadets because there where enough airman and basics. Well no we had a C/CC, C/DC and then a bunch of random new kids. After going two months there were cadets that came to a meeting the first time in two months (at least) and claimed they come all the time. What is up with that.

Well anyways if XX can come up with a better cadet program I will re-new my membership, until then you guys loose my $36 dollars or what ever it is a year plus my two encampments.

The largest percentage of why cadets did not renew their membership was cited as "Poor Squadron Leadership."

It really does sadden me because I know personally what this program can offer and what it does offer. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RedFox24

To follow up on what Jimmy has said

This is part of a report that I made to the wing when I stepped down as DCP.  I made this report to the wing last July. 

QuoteOf cadets who have dropped out in the last two years.........

•   52% of the cadets who dropped out in the last two years where between the age of 16 and 18.  (remember this as you read on)
•   45% had been members of CAP for 2 years or more. 
•   28% had earned their Billy Mitchell Award and 48% had at least completed Phase I. 
•   35% said that their weekly meetings were not organized enough
•   71% said that the cost of participating in CAP was "Just Right, not to high or to low"
•   70% said that they enjoyed their meetings.
•   48% said that there weren't enough activities held at their local squadron.
•   59% said that they enjoyed orientation flights the most of any activity, Encampments were 46%.
•   86% said that their parents were proud of their involvement in the CAP program.
•   46% did not renew because they could not attend meetings of this 46% who did not renew, 53% had full or part time jobs, 36% were involved in Church or Religious groups or activities and 35% were involved in sports or school activities (or a combination of the three, they got to pick more than one).
•   **43% listed other reasons for not renewing.  This group appeared to be involved in the same three primary activities as the group who could not attend meetings, however they listed that they did not renew because they were not followed up on by their units.  In other words, they had jobs or school activities and were not called or checked on by their squadron.  This group indicated that they would have renewed had they been followed up on or been reminded to renew. 

Lack of Adult leadership and structure at the local squadron was the main reason for cadets to quit. 

The quotes in Jimmys Post are accurate as to why cadets say CAP sucks.

And for Seniors it's the CAP Politics.........that makes CAP "CrAP".
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

Rotorhead

Quote from: RedFox24 on July 13, 2009, 03:24:41 PM

If you know of a way to get rid of the politics, by all means, post it.

Volunteer organizations around the world would love to hear it, because it exists everywhere, not just in CAP. In many organizations, it is much more pervasive.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

RedFox24

Quote from: Rotorhead on July 13, 2009, 05:43:46 PM
Quote from: RedFox24 on July 13, 2009, 03:24:41 PM

If you know of a way to get rid of the politics, by all means, post it.

Volunteer organizations around the world would love to hear it, because it exists everywhere, not just in CAP. In many organizations, it is much more pervasive.

Rotor,

Of the volunteer organizations I am a member of or involved with it is there also, cant disagree there. 

But I must disagree and say that it is 10X in CAP compared to the other organizations I belong to and participate in.  There was a time 20 years ago that it was pretty bad and those people slowly left the program and things were pretty good for a while. Now I would say it is worse than then.  That is my opinion and yours may differ.

I dont have a solution either...........other than to fight it at every appearance it makes.  But then that makes you political...........
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.