MItchell Award

Started by thepatriot313, June 20, 2009, 01:21:08 PM

thepatriot313

How long does it typically take for a cadet to earn the Mitchell award? I dont want to sound like I am greedy and am interested in joining for an award, I am joining for the experience and knowledge i can gain because I know I am joining enlisted in a couple of years.. I am just really excited about CAP and cant wait to join up. I would appreciate any Information you might add.

SJFedor

It depends. Do you have any JROTC experience?

Without any JROTC, it takes 18 months or so, minimum. 2 years of JROTC will reduce that to 9.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Cecil DP

I would say the average time is about 2 years, some cadets are held back or delayed because of the timing of the encampment. If you are just joining now, you won't be able to attend one this summer. Some WIngs have encampments in the winter or spring, so keep your eyes out for them.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

IceNine

There are dozens of factors.

If pass every single test at the minimum interval you can make it in 18 months if your unit lets you test before you have been a member for 2 months.

The tests are Leadership, Aerospace, Drill (at select intervals), and Physical Fitness

Then, there is the matter of review boards (if applicable) where the unit will decide if your abilities are up to par for your eligible grade. 

I have seen cadets that were both eligible and ready for the grade however rare within the 18 months.  I have also seen cadets take as much as 3 years or more to earn Mitchell.

Again the idea is to learn everything that you can, retain that information, and most importantly PUT IT TO USE.

Grade comes with experience and knowledge, not just passing tests.

I've said it here before and I'll continue to say it.

2 Eyes, 2 Ears, 1 Mouth.  Use them accordingly and you will be doing just fine.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Always Ready

+1 on everything IceNine said.

Here's some other things to consider:

-You can stay a cadet until you turn 21. Meaning, if you joined right before your 18th birthday, you would have three years to get your Mitchell. Which should not be a problem for most people, if they stay focused.

-Most people get hung up on something and can't promote as quickly as they want to. I got my Mitchell in 2 years and one month almost to the day after I joined. I could and should have gotten my Mitchell in 18 months, but I got involved in some unit politics. I lost my focus on my goals and that slowed me down. For some people, they want to continue participating in color guard at National Cadet Competition. Others get Chief-itis and want to stay a Chief forever. Don't lose your focus on your main goal for CAP.

-Get involved with something within CAP, but outside of the main meetings, that you like to do. Emergency Services was my thing. It kept me going in CAP, even during the times I wanted to quit or give up.

-Volunteer for projects and positions. That's the best advice I can give you. When I first joined, my squadron had a top notch cadet staff (including the infamous Brandon Kea). I learned a lot during my first three months. Then they all graduated and went off to college (the slackers!). This left a huge void in my squadron. I volunteered to help out the Admin Officer that summer. I learned a lot and they made me Cadet Admin NCO. That got me on staff and more involved in the meetings. A few months of me opening my big mouth (mostly making recommendations and volunteering for things), I was made First Sergeant. After a while of doing that, I was made the Cadet Commander. All within two years of joining. Always be open to do anything. Make sure you learn and gain experience from everything you do. Learn from other people's mistakes and don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's all part of the learning process.

I think I covered the big things. PM me if you have any questions.

majdomke

I think cadets are lucky these days... back 30 years ago we couldn't promote every two months like they do now. It took me two years just to get C/MSgt. Then I missed out on encampment because of drivers training and was stuck at MSgt for a year. I was like the oldest cadet in my flight with the most rank, it was kinda weird. Easy, but weird.

p.s. back then C/MSgt was the highest you could get before turning officer which actually meant being a Warrant Officer for like six months and then a second lieutenant.

Always Ready

Quote from: Lt Domke on June 21, 2009, 02:36:55 AM
I think cadets are lucky these days... back 30 years ago we couldn't promote every two months like they do now. It took me two years just to get C/MSgt. Then I missed out on encampment because of drivers training and was stuck at MSgt for a year. I was like the oldest cadet in my flight with the most rank, it was kinda weird. Easy, but weird.

I know how some of that goes. I went to my first encampment as a C/SMSgt. I out ranked my flight sergeant ;D. I was 17 and the third oldest cadet out of the entire encampment. It took me a year and a half to be able to go to one ($$$ was a problem). Then I finally got the money and my wing decides not to have an encampment that year. I almost didn't go to the one I went to (NCR encampment), but my then-squadron ESO saved my butt by pushing others to go. We were able to carpool there. Fun times lol

P.S. I went to NEWG Cadet Command and Staff School the weekend before I left for my first encampment. Nothing like going from learning how to run cadet meetings to sitting through how to march in a flight classes  :o

USADOD

I reached the Mitchell in nine months, after that journey all I can say is be prepared to coexist with the other cadet officers who have years in the cadet program.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

Eclipse

And if anyone starts talking to you about the "Chief Experience" and how you should delay becoming an Officer, just disengage politely and walk away.

"That Others May Zoom"

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2009, 03:56:14 AM
And if anyone starts talking to you about the "Chief Experience" and how you should delay becoming an Officer, just disengage politely and walk away.

I was a Minimum Mitchell, and I think that was 18 months w/o JROTC WIWAC. I had made it a competition with a few of the cadets in my squadron, and I was the only one to make my Mitchell from the 3 of us.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

thepatriot313

Well I would like to start off by saying Thank You for all the informative answers. I plan on joining over the summer, I am 16 years old. I think that the deciding factors of whether or not I achieve this goal of mine are factors out of my control. I believe very strongly in my abilities when it comes to testing. However it seems that untill I find out the policy of my unit I really wont know.

jb512

If that's what you want, go for it.  I also did mine in 18 months back in the day.

It's a good thing to have in your back pocket in case you decide to run off and join the AF Reserve when you're 32 years old, 17 years after the fact...

Ozzy

I got my Mitchell award Feb 08, about 15 months after joining. I would have had it a lot sooner except I was on color guard and I was on the competition team. Anyways, I say you shouldn't push to promote as quickly as you can, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Take the time to learn and savor the fact that you are the "Go Getter" instead of the Planning group.

I only been promoting fast because I unfortunately joined late, (In my senior year in HS, at 17, and with three years of AFJROTC under my belt (I was a c/Maj!)). Cadets in my squadron was a bit pissed off when they saw that I was passing them and gaining rank quickly and were saying that I wouldn't have if I didn't use the "jrotc excuse". I always said it was because I studied the text and did every squadron activity and went to every meeting and then some. But anyways take your time, go to encampment as many times as you can and as soon as you can! And participate actively! Anyways, I wanted to get to a place in the cadet program where I could actually use the skills I've been learning for the past few years so that was a main reason why I promoted quickly, also I was following the cadet oath... "and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to...", and finally I want to earn the Spaatz award. I have been pretty much since I joined, been budgeting my time to make sure I'll have a few chances at going at the test. Currently I'm almost a cadet Major, I should be getting it next week!, and I have 15 months left as a cadet. So in order to allow myself at least two tries, I need to probably get my Eaker in 7~8 Months.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19