Alternate Uniforms

Started by MIKE, January 11, 2008, 03:53:44 AM

Alternate uniforms for new cadets is a:

good idea.  Uniformity is a must.
15 (34.9%)
waste of time.  Get them in a "real uniform" faster.
16 (37.2%)
Huh? Alternate "Uniform"?
7 (16.3%)
Why isn't this in the Uniform section?
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Maj Ballard

Along with their dues check that we mail to NHQ, we ask parents to write the squadron a check for $30. That money pays for a squadron t-shirt, squadron hat, blues cap device, CAP cutouts, nameplate, CAP tapes, nametapes, Wing patch for BDUs, flag patch, etc. We place the orders for all of the "accoutrements" so that they all arrive at the same time and the correct things get ordered. Most parents appreciate us ordering everything for them like this.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

capchiro

One can not "require" an alternate uniform unless it is provided for free or is optional (which also means not "required").  This is out of the Reg's and not really up for debate.  It always intrigues me that some folks want to enforce certain parts of the Reg's but not all of the Reg's.  Since when can commanders decide to pick and choose??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Maj Ballard

If you total up the cost of all the things I mentioned were included in the $30, you'll notice that the squadron t-shirt and hat really do not cost the cadet anything.

I have also NEVER run into a cadet who did not have a black t-shirt and jeans. All we do is make the "appropriate civilian attire" the same color. Not too complicated.

Sir, I always see you jump in the "required uniform" discussion when it arises. Do your cadets always wear blues? How about shoes, since shoes aren't provided? Do you have a vast supply of BDUs? Just curious.

L. Ballard, Major, CAP

capchiro

It probably has to do with my legal background and my angst over Reg's that set commanders up for difficulties and repremand.  By constantly pointing out a Reg that is wrong or doesn't work or is in conflict with other Reg's or policy, I am hoping someone will eventually wake up and make the changes that are needed to facilitate the program.  Perhaps my moniker should be "dilemmas are us".  I just don't feel comfortable telling parents that although the Reg's say the only uniform required is the Blues, your cadet will need to purchase another outfit for $100-150 to participate.  I also know that a lot of Wings are not utilizing the DRMO facility to obtain BDU's, etc., that we could use.  Frustration is a large factor in my madness.  I also don't like lower ranking officers being led to believe that the Reg's can be interpreted as desired.  Plus this Reg is the one that is so often violated and so easy to point out.  A lot of other Reg's are more difficult to interpret and therefore there is more room for debate.  If one is willing to violate this Reg, will they not violate another Reg, perhaps one dealing with Safety?  If the upper echelon or powers that are to be are setting members up for failure, there is a problem, and this Reg is one of the ones that so easily demonstrates this.  We harp on our cadets about integrity and yet anyone of them could point to this and ask how integrity works with this Reg.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Ned

Quote from: capchiro on January 17, 2008, 07:15:03 PMI am hoping someone will eventually wake up and make the changes that are needed to facilitate the program. 

Like?

NHQ does listen.

Ned Lee
National Cadet Adviser

Maj Ballard

DRMO doesn't have BDUs anymore from what I understand.

But yeah, I definitely see your point. We never tell a cadet that something is "required" in that regard. Rather we say to them and their parents, "Here are the uniforms that our cadets wear. The squadron will do its best to supply you with what we have, but there may be some items you'll need to purchase if your son/daughter wants to participate in certain activities."

I think it's really important to let parents know on the front end that CAP isn't a "cheap" organization to join. Regardless what is "required," in order for their son or daughter to get the most out of their time as a cadet, it's likely that significant time/financial contribution may be required of them and their family. If we don't set a realistic expectation from the beginning, there's likely to be a lot of disappointment in the future. (Of course it goes without saying that we always do what we can to minimize the cost to cadets of anything we do.)

For now, I think that's about the best anyone can do, given the fact that so many cadet activities "require" different uniforms than are issued. On the rare occasion that we've had a cadet with significant financial constraints, either the squadron or benevolent senior members helped out with costs quietly.

Back to the topic of the t-flight "alternate" uniform, we specifically chose the clothing combination that we did because everyone has it. We did have one cadet whose only black t-shirt said "Jackson Hole" or something on it, and we let her wear that because it wasn't offensive or obtrusive. In our squadron, it only really affects three meetings anyway, since we then issue the squadron shirt.

YMMV.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: capchiro on January 17, 2008, 05:58:47 PM
One can not "require" an alternate uniform unless it is provided for free or is optional (which also means not "required").  This is out of the Reg's and not really up for debate.  It always intrigues me that some folks want to enforce certain parts of the Reg's but not all of the Reg's.  Since when can commanders decide to pick and choose??

remember though that Commanders canadd to but not take away from the Regs. If we al just ran CAP by biooks and regs then there really would be no reason for Commanders. Different units have differnt situations and we have to add the human factor in it. We can just live by words alone. They dont even do that inthe military. You have to be able to be flexible.

I agree about having a alternate uniform for newbies. It promotes unit cohesion and if you explain it to the parents when they first join in I think most of them will be for it. It sets your Squadron aside from others and there is nothing wrong with that. It promotes unity within the Squadron.

Stonewall

Quote from: capchiro on January 17, 2008, 05:58:47 PM

A dress code such as a collared shirt is not requiring someone to buy and wear an alternate uniform.  I've got more than a 100 T-Flight graduates under my belt who will agree that having a set standard "uniform" during their initial training (approx 8 weeks) is beneficial to team cohesion.  Trust me, mandate new cadets to wear certain attire, be a black or white tshirt or simply a collared shirt, both with plain jeans, and they'll mold better, stand taller, and act more like military cadets. 

Let them show up with their pants hanging down their arse, a XXXXL EMINEM shirt hanging down their knees, or one of those funny shirts they sell at Wal-Mart for $9 that has a picture of a squirrel with a bat that says "Protect Your Nuts" (I've seen it during an open house), and they'll act like wanna-be gang bangers like they do at school.  Bring them into an environment of discipline and standards and you'll see different posture and attitudes.  I've proven this time and time again.
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

At our squadron we have cadets were dress pants and a button up shirt until they can get there uniform. We are also lucky enough to have lots of BDU's and blues to issue to get cadets so they can get there uniform quick. :D

Michael

NCO Forever's idea seemed fine.

We tried having civilian clothes nights about a year ago.  It was chaos.  Discipline, customs & courtesies, and overall organization were all down, right off the bat.

I say stick to the BDU's.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Maj Ballard

I don't think anyone's advocating doing away with BDUs. The issue we're discussing is what to do with new cadets BEFORE they have uniform to wear.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Michael

Bill Coons, C/Capt