Wing Commander Encampment Refusal?

Started by The Infamous Meerkat, July 01, 2016, 06:50:29 PM

JeffDG

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on July 01, 2016, 07:13:25 PM
I am currently trying to route this towards a phone conversation, and he says he will call me this weekend. Fingers crossed. I think it may be worthy on both, should I choose to take it to the IG because:

1. EO - other cadets have been allowed to go to out of state and region encampments this year, one is in my squadron. This is a class action based on me taking the small group of cadets to the encampment  location.

2. Retaliation - his response to me clearly noted that my lack of enthusiasm for the local encampment has not gone unnoticed (though I have not been unenthusiastic, I was forbidden from attending because the encampment commander didn't like my timing of having to resign as the Wing DCP) There is a lot of political history here that doesn't even include me, mostly about my squadron and the previous commander. Have plenty of grounds to believe it is retaliatory.

I also don't believe this qualifies for the "Good Cause" concept outlined in the regulation, as these Cadets are all in good standing and are capable of going. They are at least as qualified as another cadet that has already been sent to an out of region encampment. He also has not seen the applications yet, so this is only a refusal because they are not going to the local encampment and because they are going with me.
Both EO and Retaliation have specific meanings in this context, and what you describe meets neither.

EO is applicable if the commander is excluding people on the basis of a protected class...for example, if he/she wouldn't let black cadets go.   The fact that some are permitted,many others not, is not an EO violation per se.

Retaliation is specific to retribution for making of "protected communications", such as a prior IG complaint.  Your history
, unless it involved such communications, does not qualify as prohibited retaliation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Infamous Meerkat

Though I do appreciate your input, that horse is already dead. I understand what you are saying. I would like suggestions on how to proceed with getting Cadets to the encampment if you have them.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Eclipse

Your best course is to disengage and let their parents address it, with their transportation not being even discussed
or a factor in the situation.

Is there a unit CC in this mix?

"That Others May Zoom"

The Infamous Meerkat

That's part if the long standing issue, he has already signed and approved them and has spoken with the Wing CC. He is our Neighboring Unit's CC that is standing in as ours because the Wing Commander eventually pushed our last CC to resign. The last CC wanted to set up new activities and the Wing CC was not a fan of how he was conducting business, essentially. Our new CC is a great guy but is spread pretty thin between two units.

The transportation can be handle by the one remaining Senior member, couldn't it? They will have five people in a van... but only one Senior...
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

NIN

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on July 01, 2016, 08:29:39 PM
NIN, I haven't even been given the chance to do any of this yet, that's the problem... Please assume that I care about them going to the encampment more than I do myself. I have already started working up alternatives for myself if that's the way he wants this.

Fair enough.   You're on the right page, then.   I'll take my ball and stand over here. :)

I once screwed up organizing our wing's color guard team to go to region comp, and they were told "Nope, your DCP [me] dropped the ball and you can't come."

I had to march my (very) unhappy fourth point of contact down to that squadron and apologize to each one of those cadets individually, because when you screw up and the cadets take it on the chin, you're "a very bad CP officer." (my term for me that particular spring). 

I couldn't even make it right. That was the major bummer. Nothing I could do could fix it.  I flat out screwed up and they paid the price.

If I'd been a lot more self-centered or egotistical, I might have said "Well, yeah, sorry, region is being rather intractable about this for some reason. Too bad. Kthanxbye."

Nope, I stood in front of that entire unit and said "I'm the reason you can't got to region comp. Me. Nobody else. You won and I blew it."

Its pretty humbling when you have to do that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on July 01, 2016, 09:36:05 PM
That's part if the long standing issue, he has already signed and approved them and has spoken with the Wing CC. He is our Neighboring Unit's CC that is standing in as ours because the Wing Commander eventually pushed our last CC to resign. The last CC wanted to set up new activities and the Wing CC was not a fan of how he was conducting business, essentially. Our new CC is a great guy but is spread pretty thin between two units.

Who is the commander of record?  A unit can't "not" have a CC, and one person can only be assigned as CC of one unit.

Seriously, it sounds like what you have going on is a real mess.

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on July 01, 2016, 09:36:05 PM
The transportation can be handle by the one remaining Senior member, couldn't it? They will have five people in a van... but only one Senior...

Only one is required, however don't these cadets have parents, etc?  Let them work it out.

I have never been a fan of these group rides to activities - seen them cause as much trouble as they help.
In some cases you have an adult who might not be invited to encampment at all (not saying you in this case)
who essentially holds the activity hostage because "these cadets won't come if I don't drive", etc.  If mom and dad
want their cadet to attend, they can arrange transport between themselves, and if it's really too far to be
reasonable, then maybe it's too far to go.

Either way, it should not be a factor in the approval of the participation itself, so don't even invite the discussion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on July 01, 2016, 09:40:23 PM
I had to march my (very) unhappy fourth point of contact down to that squadron and apologize to each one of those cadets individually, because when you screw up and the cadets take it on the chin, you're "a very bad CP officer." (my term for me that particular spring). 

BTDT as well.  At some point you might have to say "this just isn't going to happen" - late apps, lack of benevolence at the wing, transport issues.

Sorry guys.  Let's plan better next year and I'll buy you pizza next meeting as a mea culpa.

I've seen people push really hard on stuff like this, and you gotta know when to say, FIMO.

"That Others May Zoom"

The Infamous Meerkat

These guys have already put down money and everything Sir, their parents were under the impression that there would be a bus going. Them driving them down is probably unlikely, but I do have a back-up ride for them. We also have a cadet that was given a grant to attend this encampment from a NVWG group, so that further exacerbates the issue.

The CC of record is the Gent from the other unit, but He had to put a guy in command of his old unit that wasn't really ready for the responsibility. We also have a very senior Lt Col that wants the job and has been our commander before, but they are unwilling to let any of us that have applied take the Commanders position.

Frankly, I'm just tired of the political game-playing... I think I might be done in this organization, even as much as I love it.
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Eclipse

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on July 01, 2016, 09:56:33 PM
These guys have already put down money and everything Sir, their parents were under the impression that there would be a bus going. Them driving them down is probably unlikely, but I do have a back-up ride for them. We also have a cadet that was given a grant to attend this encampment from a NVWG group, so that further exacerbates the issue.

The encampment will almost certainly refund their money, and CEAP is a non-issue, it is paid direct and the encampment just refunds it back to NHQ. No biggie.

They should just address the approval and worry about ancillary issues later.  Planning the ride with a COV just gives another place the Wing CC can say "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

There's also the non-trivial issue of it being discussed here, which has likely already generated some phone calls.

"That Others May Zoom"

The Infamous Meerkat

Actually, I've already informed NVWG that we may be unable to go and they have stated that money has already been paid out to buy food, reserve lodging and so forth. Unfortunately, a refund is not in the cards. If he will let them go, I will loan somebody my own vehicle and money for gas, I will ensure they get there.
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Eclipse

If NVWG is going to charge you even though IDWG won't approve the participation, there's a place to complain.
(That's different regions, too, isn't? That doesn't make it easier.)

I actually had to go look at a map and see where Idaho and Nevada were in relation to each other- heh.
NVWG is host to the happiest place on earth, but I rarely consider Idaho unless I'm eating potatoes.

Boise to Reno is not a light hop, with stops probably close to 8 hours.  I always worry
about the last day more then day 1 - by then everyone is wiped and falling asleep.

"That Others May Zoom"

The Infamous Meerkat

That's why I was bringing two seniors like I did last year, to be able to switch out as needed. We had no issues, and we actually made the trip in very good time, got there and back a little ahead of schedule. The Region has never been the issue, he signs everything and has been a big help in getting cadets out of the area for encampment. They only have one shot at a first encampment, and I think he recognizes they should be able to go wherever they want.

Nobody considers Idaho, we like to be underestimated.  >:D
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

calebtornado12

Nobody considers Idaho, we like to be underestimated.  >:D
[/quote]

True that! 8)
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...

The Infamous Meerkat

This issue has been solved thanks to some level headed discussion between myself and the Wing Commander. The Cadets are going to encampment, and the political motivations that were driving the rash decisions and misunderstanding on both sides have been largely brought to a mutual understanding. All is well and moving forward.

Thanks to all of you that assisted with suggestions on how to proceed, luckily we will be able to all have a good experience and fix some long standing issues.
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

calebtornado12

C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...