Guidon Bearer

Started by TheGooseLover, October 15, 2015, 04:41:14 PM

TheGooseLover

Good Morning All! I have been recently appointed alpha flight guidon bearer for my squadron. I have basic understanding of the movements, order guidon, carry guidon, present guidon, so on so forth. I was just wondering, do any fellow guidon bearers have any knowledge they would share with me? Thanks!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

Chappie

Not a guidon bearer...but from personal observations:

1) watch for low hanging lights:
2) even after announcing yourself with the guidon, don't rush in...there are some slow moving cadets and seniors that you might skewer;
3) since you are in the public eye, make sure your uniform is squared away;
4) enjoy this responsibility/duty assignment.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

arajca

Know how long your guidon pole is. It is bad form to crack the presenting officer (or their assistant) over the head when receiving a streamer.

JC004

Practice with it so it's a muscle memory, and you are always aware of the height for indoor situations, and how long it is when you present it.  Try not to put any holes in ceiling panels or cadets.  There's a TON of paperwork if you put a hole in a cadet. 

TheGooseLover

Quote from: JC004 on October 15, 2015, 06:56:35 PM
Try not to put any holes in ceiling panels or cadets.  There's a TON of paperwork if you put a hole in a cadet. 

So I hear :). I also have a problem, the ceiling where we meet isn't near tall enough to fit the guidon at order or carry... What do I do when carrying it in or out to fix that problem? Thanks for all the responses as well!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

coudano

Quote from: Caponly101 on October 15, 2015, 04:41:14 PM
Good Morning All! I have been recently appointed alpha flight guidon bearer for my squadron. I have basic understanding of the movements, order guidon, carry guidon, present guidon, so on so forth. I was just wondering, do any fellow guidon bearers have any knowledge they would share with me? Thanks!

Since you are carrying a 'flight guidon' you are probably marching in the position of the flight guide.
More important than all the flag waving nonsense is that you, as the flight's guide, set the direction and cadence of the march.
Make sure that you have a correct pace length, and that you know what 100-120 steps per minute is.
If you stutter step and walk at the pace of a death dirge, then everyone else in the flight does too!!!

Check AFMAN 36-2203 for the rules of the guide,
learn them, love them, follow them.
You'll follow these rules when you are marching as the guide (person), whether you are holding the guidon (the flag on the stick) or not

Quote from: AFMAN 36-2203 4.2
4.2. Rules for the Guide.
4.2.1. The guide sets the direction and cadence of the march. The guide of the leading flight
of a squadron marching in column sets the direction and cadence of march for the squadron.
4.2.2. When a flight in line is commanded to face to the right, the guide executes right face
with the flight. The guide then performs a face in marching to the right, marches to a position
in front of the right file, halts, and executes a left face.
4.2.3. When a flight marching in column is commanded to flank to the left or right or march
to the rear, the guide executes the movement. The relative position of the guide does not
change within the flight except when the flight is halted in line in such a manner that the
guide is not abreast of the front rank. The guide then moves to a position abreast of the front
rank.
4.2.4. Unless otherwise announced, the position of the guide within a flight, in line or in
column, marching or halted, is right. The position of the guide within a flight, in inverted
line is to the left, next to the element leader of the base file. The position of the guide in
inverted line is behind the element leader of the base file. When it is desired to change the
base for a movement, the new position of the guide is assigned preceding the preparatory
command for the movement. The dress is always to the base element.
4.2.5. When the flight is in column and it is desired to position the guide to the left, the
command GUIDE LEFT is given. On this command, the guide and flight commander
exchange positions by passing right shoulder to right shoulder. To return the guide to the
normal position, GUIDE RIGHT is given. The guide and flight commander return to their
normal positions by again passing right shoulder to right shoulder. The movement can be
made either at a halt or while marching.
4.2.6. Normally, the flight is marched with the element leaders and the guide at the head of
the column.

**Note that GUIDE LEFT/RIGHT is not the same thing as INCLINE to the LEFT/RIGHT (commonly mis-used in CAP)

TheGooseLover

Thanks Coudano! I never knew guide was used like that! I shall have to look that up in the afman! Thanks!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

TheGooseLover

Still however, what do I do about the low ceiling? And as for sounding off, I am supposed to sound off when posting/retrieving it and when going through a doorway, correct?
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

capmaj

Don't just grab and go. Check with you senior cadet staff as to what is expected of you. Don't wait for them to tell you.....ask!

LSThiker

Quote from: Caponly101 on October 20, 2015, 07:13:26 PM
Still however, what do I do about the low ceiling? And as for sounding off, I am supposed to sound off when posting/retrieving it and when going through a doorway, correct?

If a low ceiling, then depending on the situation, it becomes an adapt and overcome situation.  If you have a guidon but cannot perform the movements because of a low ceiling, then consider either eliminating the guidon or just find a "way" to make it work.  There are times when situations are not covered in the manual.  During these, you find "ways" to make them work.

As far as sounding off.  Do what your CoC says.  Nevertheless, for a short 2-3 hour meeting, eliminate all that crap (yes I just said that).  It is useless when training time is short.  For encampments, it helps with motivation.  For meeting nights, it cuts into valuable training time.  Do not waste valuable time when it is not necessary and it does not hold a training value.  JMHO.

SarDragon

For the height issues, you can use a shorter staff. Go to Home Depot (or similar store), and get a 6 foot long piece of 1" closet rod. Slap a couple of coats of polyurethane on it, and you're good to go.

At carry, keep the bottom of the flag at your head height. At rest, put the bottom on the floor. It looks a little odd, but it works.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret