Cadet Commander

Started by Airplane girl, April 24, 2015, 01:11:59 AM

Eaker Guy

Airplane girl, I totally agree. I have never believed that the title makes the man(or woman). You make the title. I see the predicament you are in, and I'll tell you, It's not always pretty. Handle with care. It is very difficult to do what is best for the squadron and the individual cadet at the same time.

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on May 14, 2015, 01:17:02 AM
Airplane girl, I totally agree. I have never believed that the title makes the man(or woman). You make the title. I see the predicament you are in, and I'll tell you, It's not always pretty. Handle with care. It is very difficult to do what is best for the squadron and the individual cadet at the same time.
Exactly. Nothing in life is pretty, and nobody should expect perfection from the cadet staff. CAP is a great place because cadets are always learning and progressing, even from mistakes!
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Eaker Guy

I certainly agree with CadetSnuffy. No one is perfect. What matters is that you try your hardest.

CAPs1

'Lauren' it seems like there are too many issues for you to handle online.
Have you discussed with your COC, Chaplain, SM mentor?

You will not be a cadet commander and your duties will not be those of a cadet commander. Regardless of size they are different than those of a flight commander. Particularly if the unit is small everyone including the c/cc is likely to be called on to do a whole lot more behind the scenes that you have no idea about.

Seems like you are concerned and you will not be flight commander if you do not think you are ready. Just let them know and they will take a look at the next in line, it really is not a problem. As I said before there is no reg that says you have to be in charge.

Airplane girl

I don't have a problem with being a flight commander. It may not be the easiest thing ever, but I won't know until I try it. And although there is no reg that says I have to be in charge, I have the most experience leading the cadets when the cadet commander isn't there. And it's either me or another cadet in this situation.

Quote from: CAPs1 on May 14, 2015, 01:49:16 AM
Particularly if the unit is small everyone including the c/cc is likely to be called on to do a whole lot more behind the scenes that you have no idea about.
I have been in a small unit for a little over a year... I think I know that people are called on to do behind the scenes work.

Also, why are you calling me by my first name? This is CAP.

CAPs1

You are making a lot of assumptions.

Ref the name, unless someone other than Lauren posted this:

The Lobby / Re: official "I'm here!" thread.
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
Hi, I'm Lauren. I joined CAP in May and now I'm a C/Amn, although I might promote to c/A1C next week.

Regards. Really.

Airplane girl

What assumption am I making?

CAPs1

Assumptions. They are in your posts.

I have shared what I think is best approach, as have others.
Good luck.

Eaker Guy

CAPs1,

I disagree that the duties of a cadet commander vary with squadron strength. During my time as a cadet deputy commander, our squadron strength has varied from just meeting regulation minimum to having more cadets than I know what to do with. With the variance, my duties changed slightly, not a full shift, but slightly. When in a small squadron, the planning and behind the scenes work still needs to be done, but you are able to become a more personal leader, and less of a figurehead. You are able to really develop your cadets' leadership skills, instead of sitting behind a desk filling out forms and relying on others to develop the cadets for you. I think it is a tremendous asset to have a cadet in charge that can stop the paperwork and planning for a minute and actually be a example to the cadets.

Airplane girl,

There is such a thing as indirect leadership. I don't know your grade or experience, but from your posts, it seems you're uncomfortable with taking that command position. You could probably have the same influence on your cadets even if you aren't in a direct leadership position. You've also mentioned a cadet that seems to be like the one I mentioned. Would he/she take command if you let the position pass? If so, you may want to reconsider, because people like that do not respond to constructive criticism well, and once he/she is in command, there isn't much you can do. Remember, do what's best for the squadron and the cadet. I think you'll figure it out! Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

C/Maj Kiss

Storm Chaser

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on May 14, 2015, 12:35:04 PM
I disagree that the duties of a cadet commander vary with squadron strength. During my time as a cadet deputy commander, our squadron strength has varied from just meeting regulation minimum to having more cadets than I know what to do with. With the variance, my duties changed slightly, not a full shift, but slightly.

Cadet Kiss, you've been in CAP for a few years in one squadron. As such, while your experience may be shared by others, it's not necessarily indicative of how CAP works in every squadron and every wing. Those of us who have been in many squadrons, groups and wings can tell you that it's not the same in every unit.

The Cadet Staff Handbook attempts to address different unit membership levels and grade compositions. But there's no cookie-cutter answer for every squadron, as things are different and constantly changing. Your senior member leadership can also affect that dynamic. We may have different opinions on the matter, but this is not about opinions; it's about experience. The more experience you have, the more you'll see things in ways you didn't before.

Eaker Guy

Storm Chaser,

You're absolutely right. I actually intend on becoming a senior member after my time as a cadet is up, and I'm sure that I will gain more experience. One of the reasons that I'm on CAP Talk is to get more experience :) and information, and I appreciate all of it. 

C/Maj Kiss

Storm Chaser

Believe me, I've been doing this for many years and I'm still learning.

MSG Mac

Start with the Quality Cadet Squadron Award criteria and amend it to your unit dynamics.
Ask your Commander or DCC to print out the following reports:
Cadet Membership
Cadet Promotions Report
Encampment Completion
and anything else you feel you need to get a good idea of where the Cadet Squadron stands

After reviewing the reports. Form an idea of what can be improved. What needs fixing, What needs to change.

Set goals to improve, fix, change.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

I'll echo the sentiments here.  Cadets should be placed in positions that correspond with their leadership phase.  I have on several occasions stated that we should not have a cadet NCO as a cadet commander simply to fill a void.  I have also argued that we do not need to have a cadet first sergeant simply because there is a position. 

My last unit I had a C/CMSgt as the cadet commander and then a C/TSgt as a flight sgt.  Now this C/CMSgt was well on his way to his Mitchell and got sidelined for a bit. 

Simply because your org chart says you have a position/s or that there are positions recommended in the cadet staff handbook does not mean that you have to have them or if you have them they have to be filled. 

Anyway, OP if you fill you are not ready to be a cadet commander per say then your CP senior members need to step in and assist and help mentor you and the other cadets to become ready. 

kwe1009

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 15, 2015, 01:34:02 PM
I'll echo the sentiments here.  Cadets should be placed in positions that correspond with their leadership phase.  I have on several occasions stated that we should not have a cadet NCO as a cadet commander simply to fill a void.  I have also argued that we do not need to have a cadet first sergeant simply because there is a position. 

My last unit I had a C/CMSgt as the cadet commander and then a C/TSgt as a flight sgt.  Now this C/CMSgt was well on his way to his Mitchell and got sidelined for a bit. 

Simply because your org chart says you have a position/s or that there are positions recommended in the cadet staff handbook does not mean that you have to have them or if you have them they have to be filled. 

Anyway, OP if you fill you are not ready to be a cadet commander per say then your CP senior members need to step in and assist and help mentor you and the other cadets to become ready.

I agree.

No cadet staff positions are mandatory.  That is a problem I have seen in too many units where a person is given a position simply because they are the only person hold the necessary rank or because "we have to a have a Cadet <fill in the blank>."  Two very often overlooked guidelines for cadet promotions and staff positions:

• Promotions are not automatic.  You must demonstrate the maturity and leadership potential to handle the responsibilities of the next rank
  • Squadrons do not need to have a cadet commander (or any other staff position).  For example, if you have 10 cadets and the highest ranking is an NCO or even a 1st Lt, that doesn't mean a commander is necessary.

For the Senior Members in charge of cadets, you are not doing them any favors if you are promoting them beyond they level of maturity and leadership potential.  You are simply setting them up for failure down the road.