Post the most ridiculous CPP misinterpretation you have seen

Started by RTFB, September 07, 2013, 06:30:47 AM

Flying Pig

You guys are going to hate me for this..... But here it is.  Lets discuss something real as it deals with CPP.

How is CA's new gender identity laws that were just signed by the Governor going to be dealt with by CAWG?  When a female cadet determines she has a male sexual identity and is now attending encampment or visa versa? 

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 09, 2013, 06:04:09 PMWhen a female cadet determines she has a male sexual identity and is now attending encampment or visa versa?

At the point that a cadet, or anyone else, is legally recognized by the state as their "new" gender, then that's what they are, until then, they
can identify as anything they like, but they are still as they were born.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 09, 2013, 06:04:09 PM
You guys are going to hate me for this..... But here it is.  Lets discuss something real as it deals with CPP.

How is CA's new gender identity laws that were just signed by the Governor going to be dealt with by CAWG?  When a female cadet determines she has a male sexual identity and is now attending encampment or visa versa?

First, the number of cadets this is going to affect is pretty small. There might be one in CA.  Or none.  You might not see any cadets in this situation for years. Or you might have three next summer.  But in general its going to be a small number as a percentage of your cadet population and encampment population.

Second, commanders at all levels need to be aware of their local laws as it pertains to the potential for discrimination, and consult their staff officers (ie. legal, medical maybe, etc) for the best way to handle this.

Lastly, however, the entire situation needs to be handled with the utmost concern for the core values (especially respect for the member) and getting the mission accomplished with a minimum of disruption. 

There may be times or places where the ability to billet a cadet in a certain gender identity in an appropriate place is just simply not available in the confines of the facility and the ability to supervise the cadet effectively. This requires leaders at all levels to think and come up with the best possible solution that may not work with a cookie-cutter approach.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2013, 06:12:40 PM
First, the number of cadets this is going to affect is pretty small. There might be one in CA.  Or none.  You might not see any cadets in this situation for years. Or you might have three next summer.  But in general its going to be a small number as a percentage of your cadet population and encampment population.

Second, commanders at all levels need to be aware of their local laws as it pertains to the potential for discrimination, and consult their staff officers (ie. legal, medical maybe, etc) for the best way to handle this.

Lastly, however, the entire situation needs to be handled with the utmost concern for the core values (especially respect for the member) and getting the mission accomplished with a minimum of disruption. 

There may be times or places where the ability to billet a cadet in a certain gender identity in an appropriate place is just simply not available in the confines of the facility and the ability to supervise the cadet effectively. This requires leaders at all levels to think and come up with the best possible solution that may not work with a cookie-cutter approach.

This.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

How is CA's new gender identity laws that were just signed by the Governor going to be dealt with by CAWG?   

Short answer:  The new law, scheduled to take effect January 1st is Education Code section 221.5.  By its own terms, it does not apply to anyone beyond school districts and pupils in the public schools. It simply does not apply to CAWG or any other youth-serving organization that is not a school district.

On the broader issue of respecting the members, I can only echo Darin.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

lordmonar

Why should it be a problem? 

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Ned on September 09, 2013, 06:33:26 PM
On the broader issue of respecting the members, I can only echo Darin.

I didn't realize the law was as restrictive as to apply to school districts.

My complete bad for not doing more research! :)

(which is why you consult the legal officer types!  All too often, something us lay-people think is a big deal turns out to be a minor issue, or not applicable!)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Well, Since it does not extend beyond school property, I guess its not a CAP issue.  I thought it extended to all youth activities within CA.

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 09, 2013, 08:15:08 PM
Well, Since it does not extend beyond school property, I guess its not a CAP issue.  I thought it extended to all youth activities within CA.

RTFL Rob! ;)