I don't think this is allowed...

Started by Extremepredjudice, April 10, 2012, 05:22:34 AM

Nathan

Look, here's the advice we all hate to hear until we're experienced enough to realize how absolutely true it is.

There are some battles worth fighting, and you have to pick which ones you want to die for. Is this really one of them?

I had the same problem during my cadet years. I had the RIGHT way of doing things, and I could pull out regs and read them exactly as I wanted to in order to justify the way I thought the program should be run. When people didn't agree with me, I would try to bulldoze them with my mighty rulebook, regardless of whether or not I was actually correct. Some of the battles I won, and some of them I lost.

But mostly, I just pissed people off, and in return, I managed to ensure that the shoulder cords were worn at the end of the shoulder, rather than on the button, as per the regs. Whoooo!

If you really want to butt heads over this stupid issue, then feel free. But realize that it's a no-win situation for you. Even if you manage to force the leadership to review you in a PT uniform, you're now in a situation where they have to evaluate you as a leader after you just spent way too much time on the warpath for an awe-inspiringly trivial cause. If you lose, then that's even worse. And in both situations, you've made lasting enemies who think you're an obnoxious dork because you wanted to argue about uniforms.

Take it from someone who has been there. It's not worth it. Pick the battles you want to fight, because each one is going to cost you something, and you need to make sure the reward is actually worth it.

-Nathan Scalia
Obnoxious dork
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

PA Guy

The OP should stop trying to be a barracks room lawyer and trying to game the system. Going to the IG with a frivilous complaint and demanding promotions will come back and bite you in the butt big time. The fact that you have not gotten any support on this board from people with decades of experience should be a hint.  So go ahead and make a fool of yourself, thats your call, just dont come back here crying about how you were abused and underloved. This is a problem of your own making.

Woodsy

ExtremePredjudice,

Knowing who you are, what squadron you're from, and having been a former group staff member in that group, and now a wing staff member, I have just one thing to say...

When you go looking for a problem, you'll find one. 

I suggest you reevaluate the situation and make a new, more internally focused plan of action.   

CadetFriesen

When I was a C/CC at my squadron, I implemented the same policy that your C/CC has, and this is why.

If you are going to be leading cadets, then you need to set the example in every area, including the uniform. The PRB is supposed to evaluate each cadet and see if they have the ability to take the next step. Don't try to pass that the PT uniform is a uniform you can be graded on, a 4 year old can wear it correctly. When I graded cadets on uniform, I took a lot more meaning out of it then if their ranks were on correctly. If they wore it well, it told me they have attention to detail and that they actually cared about how the presented themselves. I am not a uniform nazi, but I have failed cadets on PRB's because their uniform was no where near the standard. It didn't mean they could never promote, it just meant they had to reschedule for another board. For the most part, they always passed the second time around.

I scheduled PRB's on PT nights because thats what worked best with our schedule, and it allowed us to do a lot more boards. And do you know what? No one complained. They all knew that they just needed to bring their SSB's and change into PT gear after the board.

I am going to be straight with you here. Suck it up. An IG complaint about having to bring two uniforms to the meeting? That speaks to a certain level of maturity (and maturity is a graded part of the F50). You are going to have MUCH bigger challenges in life, so you better get used to things not going your way.
1st Lt, USAF

NCRblues

Quote from: Woodsy on April 10, 2012, 09:32:01 PM
ExtremePredjudice,

Knowing who you are, what squadron you're from, and having been a former group staff member in that group, and now a wing staff member, I have just one thing to say...

I suggest you reevaluate the situation and make a new, more internally focused plan of action.

HMM...nothing like lightly veiled threats to get someone to do what you want or what you think is what they should do.  ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

spaatzmom

Quote from: NCRblues on April 10, 2012, 10:47:16 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on April 10, 2012, 09:32:01 PM
ExtremePredjudice,

[/quote

Interestingly, this cadet is "well known" within the group, and the group grapevine is deeply rooted.  Hence why I try to stress you never know who is lurking reading posts in the background.  Karma often comes around and bites you in the hiney.

HMM...nothing like lightly veiled threats to get someone to do what you want or what you think is what they should do.  ::)

oops post was lost.   Anyway, this is why I stress you never know who is lurking reading posts invisibly.  This cadet is "well known" within their group and that group's grapevine is firmly established.

PA Guy

PA Guy

[quote author=NCRblues link=topic=15136.msg272458#msg272458 date=1334098036

[/quote]

Funny I didn't see it that way.  I saw it as advice, saying much the same as other posters, from someone who knows the cadet and the local situation.

Woodsy

Quote from: PA Guy on April 10, 2012, 11:19:52 PM

Funny I didn't see it that way.  I saw it as advice, saying much the same as other posters, from someone who knows the cadet and the local situation.
[/quote]

Exactly.  I know this cadet, he knows me, and we have a good relationship.  My apologies if it came across as a threat, however lightly veiled, that was not my intention.  I believe he knows what I meant.  My point was, knowing the inner workings of the group, and having worked with his squadron and knowing his commanders, an IG compliant will not help the situation.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Woodsy on April 10, 2012, 11:26:15 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on April 10, 2012, 11:19:52 PM

Exactly.  I know this cadet, he knows me, and we have a good relationship.  My apologies if it came across as a threat, however lightly veiled, that was not my intention.  I believe he knows what I meant.  My point was, knowing the inner workings of the group, and having worked with his squadron and knowing his commanders, an IG compliant will not help the situation.
[/quote]I didn't believe it was a threat. But sir, you only know .0001 of the story.

Do you people seriously think I'd go in and be like "GIMME A CAPF50 OR I'LL TELL THE IG"?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 11, 2012, 12:10:43 AM
Do you people seriously think I'd go in and be like "GIMME A CAPF50 OR I'LL TELL THE IG"?

No, but I think the point is more of "You're not anonymous, and based on first-hand knowledge of the situation, you're not doing yourself any favors telling tales out of school this way..."

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Woodsy, I was under the impression the last meeting [at my squadron] you attended was halloween?

Quote from: Eclipse on April 11, 2012, 12:16:41 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 11, 2012, 12:10:43 AM

No, but I think the point is more of "You're not anonymous, and based on first-hand knowledge of the situation, you're not doing yourself any favors telling tales out of school this way..."
Statement was directed towards all other posters.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

bflynn

Quote from: PA Guy on April 10, 2012, 11:19:52 PMFunny I didn't see it that way.  I saw it as advice, saying much the same as other posters, from someone who knows the cadet and the local situation.

So many here immediately jump to the worst conclusion because...I don't know why.  But motivation isn't that important to the negative outcome.

I got what you meant.  It is good advice - stick to what you can affect and don't go picking fights with those you have to impress.

coudano

The C/CC can, if delegated, or if not delegated, in conjunction with senior staff, determine whether to have review boards at all, or not; and if having them, what uniform must be required to meet the board.

There is nothing at all improper about that on any level.

The disturbing part of your post is this:

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 10, 2012, 08:02:01 AM
It is ridiculous. He allows some cadets review boards, and others not.

...Proof he wouldn't allow me to take my review board for the sole reason of not having uniform X on, even though uniform Y was perscribed.

If -NOBODY- gets a review board on PT night, because NOBODY is in Blues or BDU's (EVERYBODY participates in PT, right???) then there is no problem.

If some members in PT clothing are given review boards, but others are not, then that is probably improper.

If some (select) members are allowed to wear BDU's on PT night for the purpose of meeting the board, but others are not, then that is probably improper.

...unless the cadet commander gets to decide who even is eligible to sit for the board or not; and if you are determined eligible for the board THEN you are allowed to wear the appropriate uniform to board even on PT night.  Then the question becomes:  is the C/CC (or whoever) exercising unfair bias or prejudice in determining who is and is not eligible to meet the board...

If this is the case you are trying to make, then you need more evidence than "somebody else got to board and i didn't".  There may be other completely legitimate policies in place behind that, which explain it sufficiently.  (there might not).

That is different from (ab)using PT night to keep people from sitting the board that you don't like...  which is definitely improper.

You may be jumping to conclusions that something improper is going on here where maybe it isn't.

On the other hand, maybe there IS something rotten in denmark...
It's not like that would be unprecedented in CAP.
But even if this is the case, then as others have pointed out, your first step is the lowest person in your chain of command that you can trust to handle the issue without taking reprisal for you for even bringing it up.