Leadership Topics

Started by DakRadz, August 14, 2010, 08:55:39 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DakRadz on August 22, 2010, 02:39:31 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 02:15:29 AM
Which is a pointless program in it's current state.
How so? This is relevant to my interests.

A 1 Hour session per month develops character how? When I joined, I don't think I became any more Moral or more of a Leader because of that one hour. You learn your character/morals from family and community, not a one hour session, where you discuss hypothetical situations, to which even the most immoral person will answer the same way.

DakRadz

Maybe Character Development is a better term, then. Though Leadership Development would work best (I kid you not); some of those lessons can be good food for thought if properly applied.

Obviously the foundations of leadership and morals will be set elsewhere (either at home or through another part of CAP).

How much use are these events to those who don't have the proper mindset (i.e. young cadets who don't even know better yet, or older immature cadets)?
Probably none.
I'm thinking of the younger cadets who zone out/regurgitate what has been said, and the cadet who told everyone how they should never be encampment staff, as it entailed watching 30 "brats" for a week.

So, broken is probably an accurate assessment.

Майор Хаткевич

That's what I said. "Which is a pointless program in it's current state."

I have nothing against the discussions that are done during character development, but to call it that is not very accurate. We should be developing character all the time, not just during this 1 hour/month session.

And I agree, Leadership Development would sound even better, and would open the discussion to a bigger variety of topics.

manfredvonrichthofen

At out meetings, we do the character development, but we also supplement it with a regular old leadership fundamentals class. Generally the class is on leadership styles or core values, with a lot of the class requesting input from the cadets. What I look for from the cadets is what they think about said topic and what it means to them. Then we discuss on what the "Dictionary" term is and try to incorporate what the cadets had to say about it. I think that you aren't going to get much out of character development without something to supplement it.

Chappie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 04:37:06 AM

I have nothing against the discussions that are done during character development, but to call it that is not very accurate. We should be developing character all the time, not just during this 1 hour/month session.

And I agree, Leadership Development would sound even better, and would open the discussion to a bigger variety of topics.

That that matter up with the NEC...they are the ones who renamed the program from "Moral Leadership" to "Character Development" in November of 2007.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chappie on August 26, 2010, 06:20:52 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 04:37:06 AM

That that matter up with the NEC...they are the ones who renamed the program from "Moral Leadership" to "Character Development" in November of 2007.

Which was a good move, IMO, what I'm saying is that the name is somewhat lacking substance behind it. CD should be incorporated into a mandatory Leadership Class, which should be more than a 1 hour per month exercise.