Leadership Topics

Started by DakRadz, August 14, 2010, 08:55:39 PM

DakRadz

So I've searched through the annals of CATtalk, and cannot find that which I seek.

I've seen advice on conducting leadership classes/sessions, but no actual topics, ideas, and input on what those topics should be on.

I'm trying to avoid having too much drill and AE in our meetings, but keep drawing blanks on what to do for leadership, with the exception of Character Development.

Thanks!

HGjunkie

You could do Character development (wait you already said that...).

You could do Classes on Customs & Courtesies, uniforms, and classes on what leadership is. Also, public speaking and impromptu speech classes are a good idea.  ;)

Ask your CC for more leadership topics also.

-My unit has a "Military Leadership" session for the 1st half(ish) of every meeting. The subjects can range from drill to classroom instruction.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Do a "Writing Skills" class, but find someone who really has some to do the class.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Now THAT is an idea. Might take some time to set up.

I ain't dat hor'ble'va riter, sir.... :-[

EDIT: Proper ALWG speak.

spaatzmom

How about DDR activities and or discussions, ethics classes, integrity what is it, team building exercises, project x situations, mission review - what could have been done better, mock mission projects, the list goes on.  Just think out side the obvious, many everyday occurrences can be turned around and made CAP lessons.  Have fun with it, think outside the box.

spaatzmom

Do a search on Darker Shades of Blue: A Case Study on Failed Leadership by Maj Tony Kern

jimmydeanno

Try the learn to lead activity guide in the library on capmembers.com >Cadet Programs > Library

If that doesn't work, try pulling a topic out of the leadership book that lines up with your flight goals and develop a curriculum around it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Ryan

Look up The Ten Rules of Good Followership by Col. Meilinger. You might have to tailor it to your needs. Also, look up AFDD 1-1. You could potentially make a lot of lessons out of it.

Quote from: DakRadz on August 14, 2010, 09:23:28 PM
EDIT: Proper ALWG speak.
Watch it now. Ya' hear?
Ryan Erskine
C/Lt Col, ALWG

DakRadz

Okay, so I've just come up with an idea for NCO training time.

Give them a situation in which a cadet has a problem, and ask them how they would deal with it.

I understand that this is in no way, shape, form, or idea a new method. CPPT utilizes it. I believe the RM does as well.

However, CAP *cadet-specific* ideas would be greatly appreciated. I just happened to think this would likely transition well into leadership training for the slightly more mature cadets.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on August 21, 2010, 07:53:57 PM
Okay, so I've just come up with an idea for NCO training time.

Give them a situation in which a cadet has a problem, and ask them how they would deal with it.

I understand that this is in no way, shape, form, or idea a new method. CPPT utilizes it. I believe the RM does as well.

However, CAP *cadet-specific* ideas would be greatly appreciated. I just happened to think this would likely transition well into leadership training for the slightly more mature cadets.
That's a good idea. What kind of problem though? You could do a "A cadet asks you why they have to follow a reg and you don't like said reg" problem and turn it into a moral leadership topic.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 21, 2010, 07:57:49 PM
That's a good idea. What kind of problem though? You could do a "A cadet asks you why they have to follow a reg and you don't like said reg" problem and turn it into a moral leadership topic.

That's one good way to go. Another would possibly be a cadet who is insubordinate, or who has a problem with their element leader (can't get along, feels power is being abused).

manfredvonrichthofen

One of my Spec. Tracks is Cadet Programs, I give leadership, not moral leadership, classes. I usually stick to the applied topics of leadership. I always start the meeting that I am going to teach leadership on by asking a question at opening formation about the topic I am teaching. For instance my first class was on what leadership actually is. I asked the cadets to think, what is your definition of leadership? At the Start of class I would ask them to write their definition on a piece of paper. I would give my class then ask those who were comfortable to tell us what their definition was and why? I would also ask why they chose that for their definition. I am currently going through the core values. Once I am done with that I will go into other values that are not necessarily CAP core values but are still a necessity in life.

DakRadz

Hehehehehe.

I have drawn the ideas from the woodwork. I have won. Do not resist.

Thanks sir!

DBlair

You could do a "A cadet asks you why they have to follow a reg and you don't like said reg" problem and turn it into a moral leadership topic.

Let me guess... you are applying for FLWG Encampment Staff?

That question is directly from the staff application.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

HGjunkie

Quote from: DBlair on August 21, 2010, 10:58:37 PM
You could do a "A cadet asks you why they have to follow a reg and you don't like said reg" problem and turn it into a moral leadership topic.

Let me guess... you are applying for FLWG Encampment Staff?

That question is directly from the staff application.
Yeah, kind of paraphrased it. Still a good topic though.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

Except we don't have Moral Leadership in CAP.

HGjunkie

There's character development.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

Which is a pointless program in it's current state.

HGjunkie

? My Sq has a pretty good Character development lab once a month. It really makes the cadets think.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 02:15:29 AM
How so? This is relevant to my interests.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DakRadz on August 22, 2010, 02:39:31 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 02:15:29 AM
How so? This is relevant to my interests.

A 1 Hour session per month develops character how? When I joined, I don't think I became any more Moral or more of a Leader because of that one hour. You learn your character/morals from family and community, not a one hour session, where you discuss hypothetical situations, to which even the most immoral person will answer the same way.

DakRadz

Maybe Character Development is a better term, then. Though Leadership Development would work best (I kid you not); some of those lessons can be good food for thought if properly applied.

Obviously the foundations of leadership and morals will be set elsewhere (either at home or through another part of CAP).

How much use are these events to those who don't have the proper mindset (i.e. young cadets who don't even know better yet, or older immature cadets)?
Probably none.
I'm thinking of the younger cadets who zone out/regurgitate what has been said, and the cadet who told everyone how they should never be encampment staff, as it entailed watching 30 "brats" for a week.

So, broken is probably an accurate assessment.

Майор Хаткевич

That's what I said. "Which is a pointless program in it's current state."

I have nothing against the discussions that are done during character development, but to call it that is not very accurate. We should be developing character all the time, not just during this 1 hour/month session.

And I agree, Leadership Development would sound even better, and would open the discussion to a bigger variety of topics.

manfredvonrichthofen

At out meetings, we do the character development, but we also supplement it with a regular old leadership fundamentals class. Generally the class is on leadership styles or core values, with a lot of the class requesting input from the cadets. What I look for from the cadets is what they think about said topic and what it means to them. Then we discuss on what the "Dictionary" term is and try to incorporate what the cadets had to say about it. I think that you aren't going to get much out of character development without something to supplement it.

Chappie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 04:37:06 AM

I have nothing against the discussions that are done during character development, but to call it that is not very accurate. We should be developing character all the time, not just during this 1 hour/month session.

And I agree, Leadership Development would sound even better, and would open the discussion to a bigger variety of topics.

That that matter up with the NEC...they are the ones who renamed the program from "Moral Leadership" to "Character Development" in November of 2007.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chappie on August 26, 2010, 06:20:52 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 22, 2010, 04:37:06 AM

That that matter up with the NEC...they are the ones who renamed the program from "Moral Leadership" to "Character Development" in November of 2007.

Which was a good move, IMO, what I'm saying is that the name is somewhat lacking substance behind it. CD should be incorporated into a mandatory Leadership Class, which should be more than a 1 hour per month exercise.