Main Menu

Health information

Started by SarDragon, September 11, 2016, 07:48:21 PM

Spam

Don't give a rodents ass about these (reposted) health issues, where I can find them in a hundred other sites.

Do care about health specific info if it helps me qualify my members to execute the ES mission.

I have challenged you "alleged" Health Service Officers to provide a set of mission-relevant First Aid training options for local units in accordance with current CAP regs. This is an outstanding, real world, mission focused need that is of far more immediate relevance to CAP missions than reposted about vaccines. We need affordable, easy options to get people signed off IAW current regs (disagree with them or not).

Can you deliver, or just spout more reposted BS about blood pressure and the salt in a half cup of soup?

Holding out hope,
Spam

Spam

Quote from: sarmed1 on October 01, 2016, 04:22:17 PM
Not to endorse any organization more than another, this is why I shy away from the ARC for training.  Its money that needs to go into their pocket first, and training people is second, even for a partner/supporting organization like CAP.

I still think that the USAF SABC concept would be fine for CAP's first aid requirement.  Other than cost of supplies (which again the USAF may be able to supply the training kits at least 1 to a CAP wing) the training is free.  I suppose the only catch is you need to find a USAF level Wing SABC coordinator that would do the trainer course and monitor instructors at a class (USAF or CAP). 
"Someone" would have to migrate the USAF CBT to the CAP online training section of E-services.
"Someone"  would have to interact between CAP and USAF to make sure updated CBT or other SABC program changes are communicated/updated to CAP (National HSO level)

As far as the desire for CPR, the military also runs its own CPR training center Military Training Network which provide AHA affiliated courses and certification to all the services.  Free (again would have to fall under the "...commanders may provide support training..." line of the AFI.) Down side is that not everywhere in the civilian world will take an MTN card the same as an AHA card

MK

An example of a helpful, specific, constructive, post which answers the mission need.

Thanks!

Thonawit

I am Diabetic, I just finished 2 doughnuts...
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Thonawit

A great avenue for first aid training is via CERT (Community emergency Response Team). Last Fall as a Squadron, we went through CERT training, CERT did cover a variety of topics including First Aid. The cost for the course... Free.

Check with your County Emergency Manager for more information.

For those "internet parrots" that re-post (mis)information from the internet, you need to really read and research what you are parroting if you want to be helpful.

Like I said, I am diabetic (type 2) and I did have 2 doughnuts this morning. Is it going to kill me, NO. Am I going to have a reaction to the sugar load, NO. Do I eat Doughnuts all the time, NO. I work up this morning with my blood sugar lower than normal (78, on the low side in general). There were doughnuts in the house so I had 2, what will happen is my blood sugar will climb to about 195, and within an hour will drop to some where between 85 and 100. Coffee and 2 doughnuts is not the most nutritious meal, but it tasted good. 90% of the time my diet is great, 5% of the time it's ok (dining out), 5% of the time it's not the best (Doughnuts once every couple of weeks, or a lunch that comes from a drive thru bag).

Oh and I chased my High Blood Pressure and Diabetes meds with coffee...
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

stillamarine

Quote from: Spam on October 08, 2016, 07:35:39 AM
Don't give a rodents ass about these (reposted) health issues, where I can find them in a hundred other sites.

Do care about health specific info if it helps me qualify my members to execute the ES mission.

I have challenged you "alleged" Health Service Officers to provide a set of mission-relevant First Aid training options for local units in accordance with current CAP regs. This is an outstanding, real world, mission focused need that is of far more immediate relevance to CAP missions than reposted about vaccines. We need affordable, easy options to get people signed off IAW current regs (disagree with them or not).

Can you deliver, or just spout more reposted BS about blood pressure and the salt in a half cup of soup?

Holding out hope,
Spam

That was the reason this thread was created BY the admins. So RN could post health information that he felt was helpful to members. Don't like it don't click the thread. I don't read it every time but sometimes I feel like it.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

I haven't gotten a flu shot in years, I generally get sick as heck when I do. I do however arrange flu shot clinics for my department for people that do want it.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

Get my flu shot every year. Standard precaution is to take two Aspirin about a half hour prior to getting harpooned.
Keeps me from getting the post flu shot crud.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on October 08, 2016, 03:26:27 PM
Get my flu shot every year. Standard precaution is to take two Aspirin about a half hour prior to getting harpooned.

Bad news, you may be mitigating the effect of the shot.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/2675/common-pain-relievers-may-dilute-power-of-flu-shots.aspx

PHall

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on October 08, 2016, 10:14:54 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 08, 2016, 03:26:27 PM

Bad news, you may be mitigating the effect of the shot.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/2675/common-pain-relievers-may-dilute-power-of-flu-shots.aspx

Badder news, I haven't had the flu for years now. So I guess the shot is still working.

Now my almost yearly case of "Winter Crud", (head cold that migrates to my chest and hangs on for 10-14 days), haven't found anything better then rest, fluids, tylonol and chicken soup.

RNOfficer

Culex Mosquitoes Unlikely to be Zika Vectors

The Culex mosquito, which is common throughout North America, may not susceptible to transmitting the Zika virus, researchers found. There had been reports of Zika virus isolates from Culex mosquitoes, raising the question as to whether they could potentially act as secondary vectors for Zika.

But a study published in Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases suggested otherwise. Researchers fed Culex mosquitoes blood meals containing Zika, but found a high degree of refractoriness, or insensitivity to stimulation to the virus -- even when the mosquitoes were exposed to high-titer blood meals.

The authors concluded that because of their findings, Florida should concentrate mosquito control efforts on both the Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus as sources of local transmission of Zika virus.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/vbz.2016.2058?journalCode=vbz

RNOfficer

Quote from: stillamarine on October 08, 2016, 02:54:30 PM
I haven't gotten a flu shot in years, I generally get sick as heck when I do. I do however arrange flu shot clinics for my department for people that do want it.

I heard lots of members say this.

If I were you I would discuss with your PCP why you get sick after a flu shot. It's scientifically  impossible to get the flu from a flu shot because the virus in the shot is inactivated. The nasal flu spray (Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine [LAIV])  does contains active but weakened virus. (As noted above, the LAIVI is NOT recommended by the CDC this year.)

http://www.livescience.com/55176-flu-nasal-spray-not-working.html

Maybe your reaction is to preservative in the vaccine or the eggs it was cultured in. Both mercury free and egg free vaccines available though you might have to search for a provider who has either of them.

grunt82abn

Holding out hope,
Spam

I am not an HSO, but after a crazy weekend at the department, my biggest take away this week after bi-lateral lateral arm trauma with deep wounds: Bleeding Control, Bleeding Control, Bleeding Control!!! Used 6 Israeli dressings and 2 Combat Action Tourniquets to stop the bleeding. This a national campaign right now with National Registry. Hope this is what you were referring to!

http://www.bleedingcontrol.org

Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

stillamarine

Quote from: grunt82abn on October 09, 2016, 10:20:41 PM

Holding out hope,
Spam

I am not an HSO, but after a crazy weekend at the department, my biggest take away this week after bi-lateral lateral arm trauma with deep wounds: Bleeding Control, Bleeding Control, Bleeding Control!!! Used 6 Israeli dressings and 2 Combat Action Tourniquets to stop the bleeding. This a national campaign right now with National Registry. Hope this is what you were referring to!

I'm in the process of trying to get blow out kits for every officer in our department. Problem is we have almost 900 sworn personnel. City isn't going to pay for it. Trying to find some corporate help. I personally have 4 tourniquets within arms reach when in my unmarked car. But I may be crazy. All I know is I've seen them save lives and if it's mine or my brothers and sisters life it saves I guess I won't be that crazy.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

grunt82abn

Quote from: stillamarine on October 10, 2016, 11:13:42 PM

Holding out hope,
Spam

I'm in the process of trying to get blow out kits for every officer in our department. Problem is we have almost 900 sworn personnel. City isn't going to pay for it. Trying to find some corporate help. I personally have 4 tourniquets within arms reach when in my unmarked car. But I may be crazy. All I know is I've seen them save lives and if it's mine or my brothers and sisters life it saves I guess I won't be that crazy.
A lot of departments here are having the same issue, too big and not enough funding for the simplest life devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT

stillamarine

Quote from: grunt82abn on October 10, 2016, 11:34:31 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on October 10, 2016, 11:13:42 PM

Holding out hope,
Spam

A lot of departments here are having the same issue, too big and not enough funding for the simplest life devices.

A friend owns a company, Blaze Defense Systems, that does all that kinda stuff. We came together with a vehicle visor mounted kit for about $135. I may be able to do that as we'd need about 400 kits. Patrol has shared cars with most of the specialty units having take homes. I'm looking at grants and corporate benefactors. Luckily my assignment puts me out in the community quite a bit with outreach projects. Unfortunately I'm slammed with projects that this is on a back burner.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RNOfficer

It's World Mental Health Day so I'm posting this FREE course on Psychological First Aid

http://learn.nctsn.org/enrol/index.php?id=38

grunt82abn

With winter and cold weather just around the corner, thought I would post something to get us in the right mind set. The following is from both CAP and USAF. Stay Warm my friends!!!

www.capmembers.com/media/cms/u_808680090841177761.ppt

http://hprc-online.org/environment/files/air-force-guidance-memorandum-to-afpam-48-151-thermal-injury
Sean Riley, TSGT

RNOfficer

I completely agree that knowing how to stop bleeding is a critical skill. Sometimes direct pressure does not work and I've only seen pressure points used effectively one time. I carry QuikClot in my bag but I would only use it if the above methods fail. QuikClot is not easy to clean from a wound when the victim gets to the ER although the newer version on a gauze pad is significantly easier,

grunt82abn

Quote from: RNOfficer on October 11, 2016, 01:51:09 AM

I completely agree that knowing how to stop bleeding is a critical skill. Sometimes direct pressure does not work and I've only seen pressure points used effectively one time. I carry QuikClot in my bag but I would only use it if the above methods fail. QuikClot is not easy to clean from a wound when the victim gets to the ER although the newer version on a gauze pad is significantly easier,

QuikClot is another awesome tool
Sean Riley, TSGT

stillamarine

Quote from: RNOfficer on October 11, 2016, 01:51:09 AM

From what I've seen quikclot granules are pretty much frowned on. I know when it first came out and we were overseas they were quick to say don't use it unless it was life or death because it played hell on the wound. I understand the gauze is much much better.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com