Historical Jackpot - Historical Documents found

Started by jimmydeanno, March 14, 2008, 12:05:56 PM

arajca

IIRC, the NB made a policy that CAP records are the property of CAP, not the member. This was because they felt much of the history of CAP was disappearing.

RiverAux

Personally, I don't really trust any nonprofit organization to really maintain historic records.  I would donate them to your state historical society, state archives, or some other reputable institution in your home state that can properly maintain them.  I don't include county historical society's in this category-- never seen one that really new anything about document preservation.

The State Historical Society of Missouri and their Western Historcial Manuscript Collection are excellent for the MO Wing materials. 

Until such time as CAP has a proper archives or better yet can have its materials kept with the AF records I wouldn't send any original documents to NHQ. 

mikeylikey

Doesn't the AF have a historical agency or branch.  They should be the ones we give CAP papers (especially when they were running everday CAP business) signed by AF Officers during the later 1940's through the 1980's.  I don't have much confidence in the historical abilities of NHQ to maintain the amount of material we have.  I suspect it just sits in a storeroom or worse, someones basement.
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

HEADQUARTERS
NEW HAMPSHIRE WING, CIVIL AIR PATROL
Building T-358, Grenier Air Force Base
Manchester, New Hampshire

27 April 1948

SUBJECT: Military-Civilian Gulf Bridged by C.A.P. Medals

TO:          All Units, New Hampshire Wing, Civil Air Patrol

1. The New York Wing has brought to the attention of these headquarters the following article by Gill Robb Wilson appeared in the New York Herald Tribune on 26 April 1948 and is quoted for your information:

"At ceremonies on April 17 in Philadelphia, the Air Force presented to Civil Air Patrol Group 17 the first thirty-one of the 824 air medals awarded by citation to members of the twenty-one anti-submarine patrol squadron of the Civil Air Patrol.  The presentation was made by Major General Lucas V. Beau, National Commander, Civil Air Patrol, who will decorate the remaining twenty squadrons at ceremonies in various cities over the next several months.

This recognition, while significant as the greatest number of civilians ever to receive military decoration and because the medals are so richly deserved, is yet more significant because it symbolizes the growth of a fresh concept both in military and civilian thinking.  The recognition constitutes a bridging of the gulf which traditionally has lain between the defense establishment and the citizen.

The Civil Air Patrol was born at the dawn of one crisis to the accompaniment of military ridicule and contempt.  It stands in the threat of a succeeding crisis as a recognized fundamental adjunct of air power.  The contrast of its standing then and now is the yardstick of intellectual progress during the interim.  In short, the broad gulf which formerly separated the military establishment from the civilian population and constituted a basic weakness to the nation has been filled in and is now only a vocational line of demarcation.

If trouble should ever again come to the United States, the civilian capacity to stand firm would be essential to military effectiveness.  After the air battle of Great Britain, Mr. Churchill said of the airmen: "Never did so many owe so much to so few."  This was a deserved eulogy.  But of the civilian population of London who acted as spotters, fire wardens and in a hundred kindred capacities, it could be just as truly said: "Never did a nation owe so much to so many."

It is in the nature of modern security that, while drama still walks in uniform, liberty in the final analysis still rests in the hands of the embattled people.

In actual accomplishment the anti-submarine groups of the Civil Air Patrol carried out 5,684 special missions in connection with convoys; sighted and reported 171 submarines; summoned help for 181 vessels in distress; detected and reported seventeen mines laid by subs in front of convoys; found and called help for 363 survivors of torpedoed ships; observed and reported 863 instances of irregular conduct on the part of ships at sea; and in a night flying patrol program broke up the routine of signaling between German submarines and enemy agents along American shores.

In the course of this work the anti-submarine element of the C.A.P. flew 24,000,000 miles at sea in personally owned light aircraft between March 1, 1942, and August 1, 1943, when the submarine menace was defeated.  Ninety planes were lost at sea, and 26 men.  The other crews were rescued.

It is civilian records such as this which must command attention and respect, but more importantly must point the way to the problem of security and peace in a modern era.  The military forces would have done wisely had they presented the American Theater ribbon to the airplane spotters, air raid wardens, members of the American Woman's Voluntary Services, nurses' aids, Red Cross motor corps and other groups.  Thousands of individuals in these various volunteer services put on as great a show, without reward or recognition, as did their brothers and sisters in uniform.

If trouble should come again, it would be the enormously magnified function of such person to hold together the social structure, a task which would involve new heights of ingenuity and be done at grave peril.  Any recognition of this fact such as the granting of air medals to the Civil Air Patrol not only fulfills the claims of justice but lays the groundwork for an even more important factor - survival."

JOHN F. BROWN
Colonel, CAP
Commanding
New Hampshire Wing, CAP
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

Also in this collection, I have found two CAP membership cards from the CAP wartime era.  A specific date of issue or expiration is not listed on the cards.  Unfortunately, the "War Department" envelope they were mailed in has been ripped in half so the post mark isn't in tact.

The front of the cards read:

[CAP EMBLEM] CIVIL AIR PATROL
An Auxiliary of the U.S. Army Air Forces

The member named on the back of this card is voluntarily enlisted in the CIVIL AIR PATROL and is authorized to wear the uniform prescribe for C.A.P. by the War Department.

Armed Forces, Police and Civil Authorities are requested to cooperate with this member in the performance of war duties.

This card is Government property and will be shown on demand

[signed] Earl L Johnson
National Commander

The back of the card reads:

CAP Form 14-0
Not valid unless stamped with CAP Seal
Unauthorized use is against federal law
"There is a 1.5X1.5 inch photograph of the members"

Signature
Name
Date of Birth
Color Eyes
Height
Color Hair
Weight
CAP Serial No

If ound, Return to:
Nat'l Hq. CAP, T & P Bldg.,
Fort Worth 2, Texas

----------------------------------
I have cards for "DUMAS, PAUL EMILE" CAP SN: 1-2-1163 and "MORRISON, CRANE A." CAP SN 1-2-1165.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

That is so cool about the Air Medals!  Jimmy.....are you typing all of this up?  Way cool on your part, thanks for sharing this stuff!

Too bad we can't get the AF to recognize our members who perform awesome.  Like the pilots and crew who flew the day after after 9-11.  There would be the start.

I just can't believe 821 Air Medals for CAP members.  That must have been some awesome ceremony at each SQD.
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 15, 2008, 03:56:45 AM
That is so cool about the Air Medals!  Jimmy.....are you typing all of this up?  Way cool on your part, thanks for sharing this stuff!

Yeah, I'm typing it, by hand because I don't know if they want all these things attached to the thread.  I know it says I can attach stuff, but I don't think they want 100MB of files :)  So I'll try to reserve my scans for things like the membership cards and things that can really only be appreciated by seeing them.

I hope that some of this information can point us in other directions to obtain information - like the Air Medal document I just posted, it tells where they are getting the quote. 

As I'm looking at this stuff I find it neat to see the transitions in CAP.  However, I think that it is ironic that we have the same problems today that we did in the founding days - uniform issues, lack of aircraft use (later document to be posted), members not showing up to meetings, etc.

There is some stuff from the 60's and 70's that I briefly skimmed through that gives me indications that the "CAP of yesterday" wasn't nearly as "awesome" as I've been lead to believe.  People may not like the pictures of the cadets smiling in the new materials from NHQ, but wait until you see CAPP 10, August 1973 "From Chicks to Falcons."  I know I almost died when I saw it.

I found that I have every weekly bulleting from NHQ for 1952 and 1953...

I'm having a blast. 

jimmydeanno

You ops guys will appreciate this one :)

------------------------------

HEADQUARTERS
Box 92, Laconia, New Hampshire

24 June 1949

SUBJECT: Aircraft Insurance

TO: All CAP Unit Commanders Concerned

This Headquarters has received notification from National Headquarters to the effect that as of 1 July 1949, insurance rates for L-4 aircraft on loan to CAP will be twenty-six (26) cents per hour.

BY ORDER OF LT. COLONEL WILSON:

WILLIAM S. LORD
Major, CAP
Adjutant

jimmydeanno

For all the uniform guys...
---------------------------------

CIVIL AIR PATROL
An Auxiliary of the Army Air Forces

17 May, 1944

Subject: Uniforms

To:          All Unit Commanders and Staff Officers

1. For your information the uniform of the day at the Mobilization 21, 22, 23 July at Laconia, will be chino trousers or skirts and cotton or chino shirts and overseas caps for enlisted personnel.  Chino, cotton or suntan shirts and chino, cotton, suntan or tropical worsted slacks or skirts for officers.

2. Summer blouses or jackets will be worn only at formal luncheons and dinners and by Wing Staff Officers at Review.

3. No New Hampshire personnel either CAP or CAPC will participate unless properly uniformed.

4. It is therefore urged that all personnel procure uniforms as soon as possible.  In many places chino uniforms can be purchased at Army & Navy stores, thereby saving considerable time.

By direction of Wing Commander Brown

ARTHUR R. CHENEY
Captain, CAP
Executive Officer

jimmydeanno

HEADQUARTERS
Building t-358, Grenier Air Force Base
Manchester, New Hampshire

15 June 1948

SUBJECT:  Establishment of Civil Air Patrol as a permanent auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

TO:           All Units, New Hampshire Wing, Civil Air Patrol

1.  On 26 May 1948, the President signed H.R. 5298, establishing Civil Air Patrol as the permanent civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

2.  On 28 May 1948, the Wing Commanders of Civil Air Patrol assembled at Bolling Field, Washington, D.C., adopted a constitution and by-laws for Civil Air Patrol, Inc., in compliance with the request contained in the charter granted to Civil Air Patrol by the 79th Congress.

3.  As a result of these two acts of Congress the status of the Civil Air Patrol has been made permanent and clear.  Their immediate effect will be to establish the complete authority of the National Commander, (who shall be a general officer of the U.S. Air Force) acting under the secretary of the Air Force, to issue such rules and regulations for the guidance and direction of Civil Air Patrol as he may deem necessary and proper.

4.  By these Acts Civil Air Patrol has become an official member of the Air Force family.  This intimate relationship carries with it a heavy obligation and responsibility to all Civil Air Patrol members, both senior and cadet.  All members, while still maintaining their civilian status are now members of the official Air Force family, and as such have inherited great responsibilities.  They are now obligated to uphold in the eyes of the public at all times, the prestige and good name of the service to which they are attached.

5.  Lack of proper discipline or slovenly appearance brings discredit on the uniform we wear -- the uniform of the U.S. Air Force.  Any action by CAP members, in uniform or not, while representing CAP, however harmless they may seem in themselves, must not be tolerated if they reflect discredit on Civil Air Patrol or the Air Force.  I, therefore, charge all Unit Commanders to impress on all members, senior and cadet alike, the necessity for correct military bearing, courtesy and conduct, at all times when they are representing Civil Air Patrol.

I request taht this memorandum be read by all Unit Commanders to their respective units at their next meeting.

JOHN F. BROWN
Colonel, CAP
Commanding, N.H. Wing

mikeylikey

^ Wow......Thats one awesome letter.  Wish Item # 3 was still in usage today! Actually wish all items were true toady as they were back then.

What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Quote from: DrDave on March 14, 2008, 02:15:24 PM
I would also like to see the replies from the National Historian you pose in the beginning of this thread.

I've run across 6+ large footlockers of Missouri Wing material from the 1960's on.

It's very interesting stuff!  Mundane and jaw-dropping.

One thing I might mention, and would like an answer to from the National Historian, is what to do with the fact that member's CAP ID numbers in the past were their social security numbers.  Do we black those out now?  Does that destroy the value of these historical documents? 

Dr. Dave

Please do not black them out. The information is nott used but the documents are still great reference material that we can use. If you do not have the proper place to store them you can send them to one of the Historians. I have records stored in a climate controlled storage facility and that is after they have been scanned and sealed in acid free sleeves.

Quote from: RiverAux on March 15, 2008, 01:36:37 AM
Personally, I don't really trust any nonprofit organization to really maintain historic records.  I would donate them to your state historical society, state archives, or some other reputable institution in your home state that can properly maintain them.  I don't include county historical society's in this category-- never seen one that really new anything about document preservation.

The State Historical Society of Missouri and their Western Historcial Manuscript Collection are excellent for the MO Wing materials. 

Until such time as CAP has a proper archives or better yet can have its materials kept with the AF records I wouldn't send any original documents to NHQ. 

If they are truly CAP records they cannot be donated to any other groups. They are CAP records and this has been a big issue. Any and all records (unless privately owned) are CAP property. I beg to differ on the proper storage. We have multiple people who are in charge of CAP archives. They are stored in climate controlled facilities with archiving and protection in mind.

You can PM me and I can give you addresses of the folks who take care of this stuff. I am one of them.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

RiverAux

Where are these archives?  When are they available for use by CAP members?  Is storage being controlled and paid for by CAP or by individual members? 

jimmydeanno

U.S. Naval Training Station
Newport, R. I.

17 August 1944

Mr. J. E. Pamer,
Rye
New Hampshire

Dear Sir:

On 15 August I landed at the Portsmouth airport and made two calls to Boston, the charge for which totaled about $1.00.

I had no change and the lady on duty told me that I could send the money to you.  So - I am enclosing $1.00, with thanks for the courtesies of the field.

Very truly yours,
Frank A Nusom
Commander, USN

------------------------------------
NOTE: J. E. Palmer is a former Squadron Commander of the Portsmouth Squadron of CAP.  The squadron was located at the Portsmouth airport.

Goes to show the formality of the time as well as the sincerity and integrity in which people operated.

alamrcn

I agree.

The National Archives Curator, Col Bill Schell Jr, is quite capable of preserving and protecting the NHWG documents.

And if/when Maj Shaw becomes the National Historian upon Col Blascovish's retirement, he can and will guarantee their safe keeping!

Civil Air Patrol cares a LOT more about it's historical roots than you might think. Unfortunately, the collecting and preserving didn't really get started until Col Louisa Morse developed the National Historical Committee back in the 80s.

There's has already been a lot of work done and money spent to recover missing and lost information from our last 60 years. I imagine that these recently found documents might not only fill some holes, but perhaps open entirely new doors into our past.

-Ace
Basement CAP Historian

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

jimmydeanno

HEADQUARTERS 32D AAF BASE UNIT (CAP)
RECRUITING BULLETIN NO. 2, VOL. 1
500 Fifth Ave., New York 16, New York
Rctg-RVG/rj                 9 October 1944

Now more than ever, it is necessary to awaken American women to the continuing need for their service in the Women's Amy Corps.  The defeat of Germany means that we are only one step nearer to victory.  Let us keep the pace we have set until the real Victory Day arrives.

MESSAGE FROM Lt. Col. John F. Johns, Chief, Planning Branch for WAC Recruiting, AGO

172,042 Wounded Soldiers Need the Help of WACS - - - - Through 31 August, the Army has suffered the loss of 172,042 men through battle wounds alone.  This does not, of course, include killed, sick, and prisoners.  Nor does it include casualties in the Navy or Marine Corps.

Some of those men have been returned to duty, but the great majority lie today in Army hospitals.  They need help - - the help that only women's skills can give them.

Regardless of what happens in Europe, the hardest battles of the war against Japan remain to be joined, the the Commandant of the Marine Corps declared this past week.  EVery day, in every part of the world, more American boys are being torn by battle wounds - - and will for many more days to come.  When you enlist women in the WAC for assignment to the Medical Department as technicians, you are doing your vitally important part in helping bring these men back to health and happiness -- you are making a magnificent contribution to the cause of humanity.

Your enlistment record is your answer to the moods of those 172,042 wounded American soldiers.  I am sure you will not let them down.

NOTE: WAV Recruiting will definitely gon on on [sic] an intensified scale.  We must continue to meet the need.  To that end let us all lend our every effort -- we must not let down.

ATTENTION WINGS: ****Watch the blue stars on the map of the 48 states which will be enclosed with the next Bulletin to be distributed after 15 October 1944.  The blue stars will indicate those Wings  which have completely filled their recruiting quotas for the Civil Air Patrol WAC company.  Come on CAP WAC Recruiters, lets' see a blue star for every state ****

COMMENDATION: It isn't difficult to estimate the jobs which CAP Recruiters are doing, not even from afar.  The narrative reports which flow through this Headquarters reveal the imagination and the effort which CAP members charged with recruiting are putting into their assignment.  It is obvious that the job is easy if approached with vision and dilligence.

BOW TO THESE RECRUITERS":

FLORIDA -- For enlisting their full quota for the CAP WAC Company.  Nice work Captain Sprott, yours is the first Wing to accomplish this mission!
IOWA -- For the very excellent selling job they have done on themselves.  IN the past two months quite a number of Iowa CAP members have enlisted in the WAC.  At this time the Iowa Wing is well on its way to completing its quota for the CAP WAC company.
OHIO: -- Wing Commander Stone reports five enlistments in one afternoon last week for the CAP WAC Company -- and double that number forthcoming.
MASSACHUSETTS: --For prompt reports, for a splendidly organized recruiting organization and for submitting the greatest number of eligible names.  Lt. Cutler is one of our most active recruiting directors.
MICHIGAN, NEW YORK, RHODE ISLAND, ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN -- You are well on the way to reaching your goal.  Just a few more enlistments and your quotas for the CAP WAC Company will be filled.

NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 30 SEPTEMBER 1944: New Jersey District U.S. Recruiting Headquarters held a meeting attended by WAC Recruiting Officers, CAP WAC Recruiting personnel of the New Jersey Wing and National Headquarters Recruiting Officer.  It is felt that this meeting created a greater understanding and good will between NAC Recruiting Officers and CAP personnel.  Captain Robb of the District Recruiting Office explained how CAP could further aid the the WAC recruiting program.  Guest speaker, Lt. Leos, recently returned from the Recruiting School for WAC Officers at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas, described the interesting courses she received in Technique of Interviewing, Public Speaking, Salesmanship, Selection of WAC applicants, Public Relations, AAdministration [sic], and many other interesting subjects.  She also described a visit to Brook General Hospital where she observed classes in the Physical Therapy School.  This is a rehabilitation course from which the women students are graduated in the rank of 2nd Lt.  Lt. Thelma Thomas, NewJersey[sic] Wing WAC Recruiting Director, explained the activities of her CAP WAC Recruiting organization.  Lt. Thomas' speech was followed by an open forum devoted to an exchange of ideas and to recruiting problems.

Is is suggested that if Wing CAP WAC Recruiting Directors could persuade their U. S. WAC Recruiting Offices to hold such meetings a closer bond could be established between CAP and the various E. S. WAC Recruiting Headquarters.  Then too, individual CAP Recruiters would have an opportunity to meet their own WAC Recruiting Officer stationed in their particular section of their Wing.

CAP WAC RECRUITING KITS.  9.500 Civil Air Patrol WAC Recruiting kits have left this Headquarters and have been mailed to all Units of the 48 Wings.  We are very proud of these kits which are so distinctively Civil Air Patrol.  Each kit consists of a large manila envelope, one booklet and several prospect cards.  Both the envelope and booklet cover are inscribed with Civil Air Patrol insignia.  The prospect cards, when filled, are to be stamped CAP on the front and turned in to the local Recruiting Offices.  (More of those cards ma be secured from your Wing WAC Recruiting Directors upon request).  Use those kits to carry all recruiting memos and other WAC information.  Keep those prospect cards flowing in to your local U.S. Recruiting Offices.

By direction of Colonel JOHNSON, National Commander:

RUTH V. GILMOUR
1st Lt., AC
Recruiting Officer

OFFICIAL
WILLIAM R. WILKINSON,
1st. Lt., Air Corps,
Adjutant.

DISTRIBUTION
            X

---------------------------------
NOTE: Notice the wings are held accountable for recruiting and are expected to meet quotas.

SpitnPolish

As has been already stated these documents are a real find. I have asked Both the National Historian and National Curator to contact you so they can be captured for the National Archives. All to often, stuff like this has been lost or tossed.

James Shaw

Quote from: alamrcn on March 15, 2008, 03:57:37 PM
I agree.

The National Archives Curator, Col Bill Schell Jr, is quite capable of preserving and protecting the NHWG documents.

And if/when Maj Shaw becomes the National Historian upon Col Blascovish's retirement, he can and will guarantee their safe keeping!

Civil Air Patrol cares a LOT more about it's historical roots than you might think. Unfortunately, the collecting and preserving didn't really get started until Col Louisa Morse developed the National Historical Committee back in the 80s.

There's has already been a lot of work done and money spent to recover missing and lost information from our last 60 years. I imagine that these recently found documents might not only fill some holes, but perhaps open entirely new doors into our past.

-Ace
Basement CAP Historian

Yes CAP does pay for the archiving storage through Col. Bill Schell. Col. Schell and Col. Blascovich have both been to the Smithsonians School for archiving historical documents. I pay for my own storage costs which costs about $800 per year (I have alot of stored documents and other items). I would also agree that we did not do a very good job of saving this stuff until Col. Morse, Blascovich, Hopper, and Schell stepped in.

We are currently scanning and archiving the stuff to share with people via online. I have about 3GB of scanned stuff at this time.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

jimmydeanno

DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
Office of the Chief of Staff
United States Air Force
Washington, D. C.

10 May 1948

Lieutenant General George E. Stratemeyer
Commanding General
Air Defense Command
Mitchel Air Force Base
Hempstead, N.Y.

Dear Strat:

The achievements of Civil Air Patrol since its establishment in December 1941, have been outstanding; not only through service with the armed forces as a semi-military organization during the war, but also through service to the general advancement of aviation since the war.  This voluntary organization of civilians has been operating since May 1943 as a designated auxiliary of our Air Force, and during that time many projects have been accomplished for the mutual benefit of both organizations.

Legislation (H.R. 5298) to establish Civil Air Patrol as a legal civilian auxiliary of the USAF, was approved by the House Armed Services Committee 15 April 1948 and is scheduled for early action by the House.  This bill would authorize the Department of the Air Force to extend direct aid to the Civil Air Patrol and allow even closer cooperation than is now authorized.

It is my desire that all installation Commanders familiarize themselves with Civil Air Patrol and its program in order that we may better understand our civilian auxiliary.  To aid you in this familiarization, I have asked Major General Vic Beau, National Commander, Civil Air Patrol, to place in your hands a copy of "Flying Minute Men", a history of Civil Air Patrol prepared for the Director of Public Relations, Department of the Air Force.  This, he has assured me, will be done at an early date.

Further, I suggest that, during your troop information programs, you utilize the services of the AF-CAP Officers assigned to each State, for indoctrination of your personnel on the vital peace time mission of Civil Air Patrol.

(This letter also
Sincerely,
addressed to:
CG, SAC
/s/Hoyt S. Vandenberg
CG, TAC
CG, AMC
Hoyt S. Vandenberg
CG, ATC
Chief of Staff, United States Air Force
CG, Tr.Com.
CG, Hq.Com., USAF)

------------------------
NOTE: Typed in the upper left corner, this document says "COPY", typed diagonally down and to the right of the page.  Unfortunately it was 3-hole punched during some point in its history.

jimmydeanno

32d AAF BASE UNIT
NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS, CIVIL AIR PATROL
BOLLING FIELD, WASHINGTON, D.C.

27 January 1947

SUBJECT: CAP Flying Clubs

TO: All CAP Unit Commanders

1.  Reference is made to (a) letter, this headquarters, to all CAP Unit Commanders, 24 June 1946, same subject, and (b) paragraph 6, CAP Training Bulletin No. 7, 15 August 1946, subject:"Civil Air Patrol Post-War Program".

2.  This headquarters has just received from the California Wing a copy of the Constitution and By-Laws of the Flying Club organized under the auspicies [sic] of the Oakland Squadron which has been in successful operation for some time.  In view of the wide-spread interest which CAP units are manifesting in the organization of flying clubs as a practical means of placing actual flying, including both proficiency flying and flight instruction, within the reach of the maximum number of CAP members, copies of these two documents are forwarded herewith to all unit commanders for the information of all concerned.

3. This headquarters will welcome the receipt of similar information from other successful CAP Flying Clubs in order that this material may be made available throughout the organization.  As stated in reference (b), a special effort is being made to have at least 1,000 Flying Clubs in operation by the end of 1947.

BY ORDER OF COLONEL JOHNSON:

HARRY H. BLEE
Colonel, Air Corps
Deputy Commander

2 Incls
  1. Constitution
  2. By-Laws

DISTRIBUTION
     C

------------------------------------PAGE 2------------------------------------

CONSTITUTION

NAME
ARTICLE I

This organization, incorporated in the State of California this _______ day of _________, Nineteen-hundred and Forty-Six, shall henceforth be known as the Oakland Squadron Flying Club, Inc.

ARTICLE II
PURPOSE

The object of this organization shall be to enable its members to obtain licensed flying instruction in the Club equipment at nominal rates.  It shall be conducted solely for the advancement of amateur aviation and the encouragement of amateur flying under the rules and regulations of the United States Civil Aeronautics Authority.

ARTICLE III
FINANCE

The Oakland Squadron Flying Club, Inc., shall be a non-profit making organization financed solely through the initiation fees and the Club dues paid by its members.  It shall have no financial connection of any kind with any aviation concern professionally interested in aviation manufacture.

ARTICLE IV
GOVERNMENT

Section A - Officers

The governing body of Oakland Squadron Flying Club, Inc. shall be vested in a Flight Leader, Assistant Flight Leader, and a Secretary-Treasurer.  These officers shall be elected by a majority vote of the active members on the date set by the club.  All officers shall serve for a term of one year commencing on the date of election.

Section B - Duties of Officers

The Flight Leaders shall control all business of the Club and conduct the regular meetings according to the accepted parliamentary rules.  he shall be a member of the Rules and By-Laws committee; he shall also be responsible for and sign all official papers and documents of the Club, according to he laws of incorporation.

The Assistant Flight Leaders shall assist the Flight Leader in all matters and take his place in all official business whenever it is impossible for the Flight Leader to attend.  He shall be a member of the Air Regulations Committee.

The Secretary-Treasurer shall have direct charge of all finances and membership business as well as carry out all regular correspondences of the Club.  He shall be a member of the Finance Committee.  It shall further be his duty to see that there is at all times sufficient Club funds to meet all obligations, and in those cases where there is insufficient funds, it is his duty to call the situation to the attention of the Finance Committee.  It shall also be his duty to collect dues and assessments and

-------------------------------------PAGE 3-------------------------------------

Constitution
Page No. 3
O.S.F.C., Inc.

ARTICLE V

MEMBERSHIP

Membership in Oakland Squadron Flying Club, Inc., shall be available to candidates of both sexes who are at least eighteen years of age, members in good standing in the Civil Air Patrol.

Each member shall assume an equal part of the organization's expense and shall hold like equity in the Club's assets, and upon liquidation each member in good standing shall be entitled to his proportionate share of the Club's liquidity value, minus any sums due or owing the club.

Any new member replacing another shall assume the retiring member's portion of the Club expense including the initiation fee, his share of the Club equipment, and other assessments which may be made.

Any member shall be eligible for any post in the organization and shall be expected to enthusiastically accept any office and discharge the duties of that office to the best of his ability.

ARTICLE VI

CONDUCT OF BUSINESS

No official Club business shall be conducted unless there is a quorum present.  A quorum shall consist of three-fourths of the total active membership.

All measures proposed in the regular course of business, except alterations of this constitution, shall require a majority vote of the active members present for acceptance.

The right shall be reserved to alter, amend, and repeal this Constitution by a three-fourths vote of the total active membership.

------------------------------------------------

NOTE: There appears to be some information missing between pages 2 and 3.  However, both pages are marked as to which pages they are...

A document in the 1950s era shows a local members dissatisfaction of being enrolled in the local Flying club because he was automatically enrolled and charged for membership simply by joining CAP.