Main Menu

Earhart Attempts

Started by Cadet Officer, March 21, 2018, 11:40:36 PM

Cadet Officer

Hi I am Currently a C/1st Lt and the Cadet Commander of my squadron. I am just curious how many attempts it took people to achieve this Earhart award, I just did my Leadership for the third time and failed again its frustrating because I've gotten 70, 72, and 78 so not missing by a ton but its not like the Mitchell where you get a lot more repeating questions every time I've taken it every questions been different. Ive only done AE twice and I've failed both got a 50 and a 72 the first was so low because my squadron commander told me the AE test was on Journey of flight not the 6 modules so I studied the wrong thing. I guess I just feel like everyone gets this on their first or second try so its very discouraging so just curious if its taken other people this long.

TIger

I have an idea...study instead of hoping for the same questions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

vesryn

I happened to get my Earhart tests on my first try.

If you're testing online (which I would recommend), you'll need to look at all of the most recent aerospace work. Take a look at all the online AE tests you've had, and review everything, because if it showed up on a test in the past, it will be on the Earhart.

Same study philosophy goes for the Leadership test.

It's not easy, and it would be a failure to the organization if it was. The best of luck to you!
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

PA Guy

The answer to your question is yes. There are many people who have taken even longer. So get over it and move on. And stop trying to game the system!!

You failed the prior times simply because YOU failed to adequately prepare. Don't try to throw you squadron commander under the bus. You should have already known what the proper material was before you cracked a book.

As a cadet officer you are expected to LEAD not have your hand held. Be proactive!! Take charge and show you can lead by preparing yourself for the challenge.

Cadetter

I have not taken the online exams, and I imagine my scores would be lower if I had. I passed written leadership the first try without studying (think I got 90 or 94). I failed the aerospace exam twice (68 and 78) before passing (either 90 or 98) - and it was identical every time (didn't study for the first attempt and didn't try to remember the questions, did study for the last two). Our other Eaker cadet took a while on her Earhart tests too. You'll get there, just study.

I don't know if it's possible to actually look at your previous tests for practice (aside from immediately after you take them). I haven't found a way.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

CAPLTC

Learn and master the materiel instead of trying to game the system.
First time pass, all cadet tests here... back when they were not open book.
Step up your game cadet.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

MSG Mac

The tests which are now required to be done on line, unless there are special circumstances, have a test pool of 300 questions. SO that you generally won't get the same questions every time.  As said by other responders. Study your previous tests. the Aerospace book, and ask the Testing Officer to make a list of missed subjects.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cadet Officer

Quote from: TIger on March 21, 2018, 11:41:55 PM
I have an idea...study instead of hoping for the same questions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I had been studying but there is a lot of material to cover. So I would study the areas of theories extra because thats what the first test was on then the next would be a ton of drill. While my Mitchell would at least cover the same general areas closer

Cadet Officer

Quote from: Trenzalorian on March 22, 2018, 04:17:25 AM
I happened to get my Earhart tests on my first try.

If you're testing online (which I would recommend), you'll need to look at all of the most recent aerospace work. Take a look at all the online AE tests you've had, and review everything, because if it showed up on a test in the past, it will be on the Earhart.

Same study philosophy goes for the Leadership test.

It's not easy, and it would be a failure to the organization if it was. The best of luck to you!

There is no way to look at past tests thats a security thing and why only senior members can view the tests. But thanks I passed Leadership the 4th time and Aerospace the third

Cadet Officer

Quote from: PA Guy on March 22, 2018, 05:55:14 AM

The answer to your question is yes. There are many people who have taken even longer. So get over it and move on. And stop trying to game the system!!

You failed the prior times simply because YOU failed to adequately prepare. Don't try to throw you squadron commander under the bus. You should have already known what the proper material was before you cracked a book.

As a cadet officer you are expected to LEAD not have your hand held. Be proactive!! Take charge and show you can lead by preparing yourself for the challenge.

Wow no one on here is nice. I did and I passed the third time. Given there is no where that states what is actually on the test besides comprehensive leadership turning to those who should know is generally what is done. Im not throwing her under the bus but simply that this is what I was told to study by the absolute guider of the squadron. My hand wasn't held I simply asked one question.

Cadet Officer

Quote from: Cadetter on March 22, 2018, 06:14:29 AM
I have not taken the online exams, and I imagine my scores would be lower if I had. I passed written leadership the first try without studying (think I got 90 or 94). I failed the aerospace exam twice (68 and 78) before passing (either 90 or 98) - and it was identical every time (didn't study for the first attempt and didn't try to remember the questions, did study for the last two). Our other Eaker cadet took a while on her Earhart tests too. You'll get there, just study.

I don't know if it's possible to actually look at your previous tests for practice (aside from immediately after you take them). I haven't found a way.

I had to take the online as it was between when we were required to dispose of all paper tests but they weren't uploaded into eservices for print yet. I Failed AE twice then passed and failed Leadership three times and passed. I was very close to passing every time except my first AE because the wrong instructions were given to me on what to study. You were actually the first nice and supportive person so thank you for that. Between the time of the first test and the last when I passed was a week and a half. The hard part was two of the times I had cadets coming up and asking me questions which would throw off my though process. Since I am much higher ranking and educated on many of the squadron things all of the questions would go through me so getting time to myself was hard.

Cadet Officer

Quote from: CAPLTC on March 23, 2018, 01:29:02 AM
Step up your game cadet.

I have learned the material, Wasn't trying to cheat the system just the absolute difference on how the tests were surprised me. I simply had a hard time passing one test because Im more focused on the bettering of others rather then myself.

Cadet Officer

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 23, 2018, 03:26:43 PM
The tests which are now required to be done on line, unless there are special circumstances, have a test pool of 300 questions. SO that you generally won't get the same questions every time.  As said by other responders. Study your previous tests. the Aerospace book, and ask the Testing Officer to make a list of missed subjects.

Yeah did them online, I didn't as much want the same questions as just the same area of what they were on one would be philosophies while the other would be processes. There is no way to study past tests unless you wrote down the questions and answers from every test you took

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 21, 2018, 07:52:31 PM
Step up your game cadet.

I have learned the material, Wasn't trying to cheat the system just the absolute difference on how the tests were surprised me. Wow so supportive I am the top cadet in my squadron and second in the wing. I simply had a hard time passing one test because Im more focused on the bettering of others rather then myself.

So, a "Dynamic American and Aerospace Martyr," then?

No, sorry. Saying you've had a hard time passing because you were so busy helping others is something that others might say about somebody. It's not, however, an honorific that one may bestow on oneself.

And, if that IS what happened, you need to reorder your priorities. Remember, there is a reason why the flight attendant tells you to put your mask on before trying to put the mask on anybody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

+1 the above, it's a common excuse cadets make to either not progress at all, or when they struggle
that they are "too busy helping others".  Mentoring is part of the equation, but as a cadet your primary
focus is supposed to be your own progression and growth, as you are perishable, and there are
senior members whose job it is to help struggling cadets.

Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 21, 2018, 07:52:31 PMI am the top cadet in my squadron and second in the wing.

How would you be able to judge you're the #2 cadet in your wing?

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadet Officer

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 22, 2018, 12:11:44 AM
Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 21, 2018, 07:52:31 PM
Step up your game cadet.

I have learned the material, Wasn't trying to cheat the system just the absolute difference on how the tests were surprised me. Wow so supportive I am the top cadet in my squadron and second in the wing. I simply had a hard time passing one test because Im more focused on the bettering of others rather then myself.

So, a "Dynamic American and Aerospace Martyr," then?

No, sorry. Saying you've had a hard time passing because you were so busy helping others is something that others might say about somebody. It's not, however, an honorific that one may bestow on oneself.

And, if that IS what happened, you need to reorder your your priorities. Remember, there is a reason why the flight attendant tells you to put your mask on before trying to put the mask on anybody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once again wasn't using it as an excuse simply that I would allow cadets to come up and ask me something if they needed it while I was testing (Thus bettering them because they then knew how to deal with the situation) Yes but when does the flight attendant themselves put the mask on, they are still going around assisting those who need it and ensure everyone else is good first. Its why if the plan were to crash they are the last one out. That is essentially what I am doing. I will get there but I am gonna see others succeed first. All I was looking for was if other people took the test multiple times too, and hopefully other people see this who are struggling and get encouragement. Not a bunch of people who say I was lazy or blaming it on others.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 22, 2018, 01:39:55 AM
Once again wasn't using it as an excuse simply that I would allow cadets to come up and ask me something if they needed it while I was testing (Thus bettering them because they then knew how to deal with the situation)

That's arguably a Test Control violation, both for you taking the test (you deserve an uninterrupted place to take it),
and their potential to see test questions.

No one is saying you're "lazy", but one could certainly ask where the TCO was and why he would allow that to happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadet Officer

Quote from: Eclipse on May 22, 2018, 01:34:47 AM
+1 the above, it's a common excuse cadets make to either not progress at all, or when they struggle
that they are "too busy helping others".  Mentoring is part of the equation, but as a cadet your primary
focus is supposed to be your own progression and growth, as you are perishable, and there are
senior members whose job it is to help struggling cadets.

Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 21, 2018, 07:52:31 PMI am the top cadet in my squadron and second in the wing.

How would you be able to judge you're the #2 cadet in your wing?

I said that because honestly I was I spend at least two hours a day working on CAP stuff from home and on average two or more days a week doing in person work.

Cadet Officer

Quote from: Eclipse on May 22, 2018, 01:43:18 AM
Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 22, 2018, 01:39:55 AM
Once again wasn't using it as an excuse simply that I would allow cadets to come up and ask me something if they needed it while I was testing (Thus bettering them because they then knew how to deal with the situation)

That's arguably a Test Control violation, both for you taking the test (you deserve an uninterrupted place to take it),
and their potential to see test questions.

No one is saying you're "lazy", but one could certainly ask where the TCO was and why he would allow that to happen.
It wasn't a violation I was sitting at a desk with the computer facing me and they were on the other side of the computer. The Testing Officer was supervising and would answer some questions but in a squadron with a lot of new cadets and a lot of new senior members when were the only two people who really knew the answers its kinda hard to get that space.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadet Officer on May 22, 2018, 01:45:47 AM
I said that because honestly I was I spend at least two hours a day working on CAP stuff from home and on average two or more days a week doing in person work. I can tell that because I am the vice chair for CAC the Deputy commander for our encampment the assistant to the Cadet Program Cadet for the wing and the wing cadet PAO. Since we have no other Wing Cadet slots and I am in the second highest position in each I can tell and have been told by many Wing Directors

You are hyper-engaged, and should be commended for that.  Good on 'ye.

Being on the Wing CAC, or any other staff role, doesn't make you the #2 cadet in the wing. 
You might be oen of the more / most active and "around", that doesn't necessarily make you
and better (or worse) then any other cadet.

And honestly, it might be time to dial-back just a bit.  CAP is great, but it isn't the end-all / be all,
and I've seen plenty of cadets who do "everything" only to find that they missed a lot of
other things, or ticket-punched their way through the program, missing many lessons.

It's tired cliche, but for cadets it's supposed to be the journey.

"That Others May Zoom"