Main Menu

General Ranks

Started by Nolan Teel, August 25, 2009, 09:08:05 PM

Nolan Teel

I'm curious to what everyone has to say about this.  Pulled it right off the meeting agenda for National Boards coming up in Sept.  As I read this, this was tabled from 2001.  Do I understand CAP to be voting on if they want to go to the AF and request the additional Stars?  Not trying to start a huge debate but I'm curious to what the members think/know about this. 

National Commander- Lieutenant General
National Vice Commander- Major General
National Chief of Staff- Brigadier General
National Legal Officer- Brigadier General
National Finance Officer- Brigadier General
National Controller- Brigadier General
Eight CAP region commanders Brigadier General

SarDragon

There's discussion on another thread that I'm too lazy to look up. IMHO, and that of others, it will go down in flames. There's no problem that needs that fix.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nolan Teel

ahhh i didnt see it.  Just curious to what the membership thinks of this?  I personally think its a bad Idea.  Im not to impressed with the direction CAP is going these days.  How can having more Stars help us.

D2SK

I think it is silly.

Of all the things that need to be done....this shouldn't even be on the list.

Lighten up, Francis.

FW

:redx:

I can't garantee what will happen but, consider this agenda item dead. ;D

Rotorhead

Quote from: D2SK on August 25, 2009, 09:16:39 PM
I think it is silly.

Of all the things that need to be done....this shouldn't even be on the list.

Agreed.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

sparks

This initiative is DOA as it should be. Our leadership should be much more concerned with the shrinking membership and mission loss instead of padding their shoulders with stars!

flyguy06

membership is shrinking because people arent getting what they thought CAP was when they joined?

Most guys on here dont care about rank anyway.  But since the question was thrown out there I think each Wing Commander should be a Brig Gen. that way they can better sit down and talk with their respective state Adjutants General.

Commander should be a Brig Gen as well. I dontthink CAP should go above two stars though

Nolan Teel

Lets all just go to polo shirts....  Wouldnt that be easy?  Cheap to.  Plus that would cut down on National changing up the uniforms on us every 6 months.

MIKE

Snowballs chance in hell... Don't see this going over well at all with "the approving authority", and it really is in poor taste given recent events.  It still seems like CAP just got authorization for major general.

Frankly, thats too many general officers... CAP has too many colonels as it is, but making them brigadier generals just makes it worse. It'd be like the CGAux with all the 1,2 and 3 star commodores walking around.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Quote from: Nolan Teel on August 25, 2009, 09:30:59 PM
Lets all just go to polo shirts....  Wouldnt that be easy?  Cheap to.  Plus that would cut down on National changing up the uniforms on us every 6 months.

I would definanly quit CAP if we did that.

Nolan Teel

I just dont see how it would help CAP.  We need National to be working on making CAP more user friendly, putting more training online, cutting down on paperwork.  It seems the last few years its how we look to others and not how we do out job.  Id also like to see them focus on CAPs internal customers... The Members.

RiverAux

Seeing as how CAP-USAF non-concurred with the proposal it is dead whether or not the NB approves it since the AF has final authority in this area. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Nolan Teel on August 25, 2009, 09:35:17 PM
I just dont see how it would help CAP.  We need National to be working on making CAP more user friendly, putting more training online, cutting down on paperwork.  It seems the last few years its how we look to others and not how we do out job.  Id also like to see them focus on CAPs internal customers... The Members.

And how are these ideas mutually exclusive?

Its an interesting mentality that asserts human beings, especially committees, are only capable of addressing a single issue at any given time.  Its also a way to deflect a discussion from the real message and interject unrelated minutia.

I don't think adding stars to the membership lists means much either way, I'd frankly be in favor of measures which would raise the bar on anything above Captain and suppress the grade structure, perhaps even to the point of making Majors and Lt. Col. positional and temporary so that as people get older and start to be less active, they would collect at Captain instead of Lt. Col.  Those that stick around
to a real retirement could be reinstated at their highest grade as part of the exit paperwork.

But just because this is on the table doesn't mean other work isn't getting done.

Perhaps if we could just close background noise questions like these quickly and efficiently, there would be more time for other discussions.  Many of the questions being considered this round, and other recent meetings, have been on the table, in one form or another, for years.  Many times instead of being voted down the proposals are rescinded and then they pop up next meeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nolan Teel

Thats not a bad Idea... Maybe something along the lines of Group commanders LTC, Unit Commanders Maj.  The rest of the membership Captains or below...

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Nolan Teel on August 25, 2009, 09:54:29 PM
Thats not a bad Idea... Maybe something along the lines of Group commanders LTC, Unit Commanders Maj.  The rest of the membership Captains or below...

That gets rid of squadron members having higher grade than the CC, so I think that is a good idea.

Rotorhead

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 25, 2009, 09:34:20 PM
Quote from: Nolan Teel on August 25, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

I would definanly quit CAP if we did that.

Yes, we know.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

MIKE

Quote from: Nolan Teel on August 25, 2009, 09:54:29 PM

In my alter ego I'm a butter bar as a staff officer at the unit level.  To change them out for silver I would have to be (or have been) the "deputy commander" or the "commander" for railroad tracks... or a staff officer at the "group" level and so on.  But like I said we still have "regionish commanders" who are one stars, some 2 star billets and a "national commander" who is a 3 star.

IMO, your average CAP squadron is a captain billet or less for the commander. 1st lieutenant or less for the deputy(s)... both flights and groups should be mandatory and get wings off of state boundaries.  Some "wings" today could conceivably be groups commanded by a Maj or Lt Col.
Mike Johnston

Johnny Yuma

Every time they want to put more stars on shoulders at NHQ I'm reminded of the Harwell debacle and my head starts to hurt.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

RiverAux

QuoteSome "wings" today could conceivably be groups commanded by a Maj or Lt Col.
Most wings were commanded by Majors and Lt. Cols. during WWII when membership was 5x what it is today.  Heck, there was even a very short period where a Captain commanded the Kentucky Wing (Capt. Howard B. Brown, Jr., June 1-23, 1943).