Main Menu

CAP email addresses

Started by Daniel, May 17, 2009, 09:05:57 PM

Daniel

is it just me or does this not happen very often? people always use @sbcglobal and other isp emails rather then a CAP email. I am making my squadrons site and I've read 110-1 is there something im missing?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on May 17, 2009, 09:05:57 PM
is it just me or does this not happen very often? people always use @sbcglobal and other isp emails rather then a CAP email. I am making my squadrons site and I've read 110-1 is there something im missing?

For starters, people don't "always use @sbcglobal and other isp emails".

In order to get a cap.gov email address you have to apply for it, with Wing CC approval, here:
http://ns1.cap.gov/

This will require you to use a domain name which matches "unit.wing.cap.gov", which gets pretty unwieldy if you use subdomains on top of that.  In addition, your web host will have to pass a number of security checks to meet the .gov's satisfaction.  This can also be somewhat of a...p...challenge.

I have never been a big fan of people using their personal emails to conduct unit/group/etc., business, I think its very unprofessional, especially if your email is something like "jimmyluvssusan@isp.com" or something equally silly.

There was a time when the domain names really meant something, and the attention to professionalism shown in choosing an email and domain name is still noticed by a lot of people, especially in the tech sector.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

ok my bad i should've added in the word seem.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

KyCAP

There are two different things being spoke about in this thread.   The EMAIL address for a CAP.gov domain (not a canonical domain above that) is controlled by NHQ IT.   I believe that these domains are currently hosted at google through GMAIL.

I would suggest that NHQ could issue ALL members of CAP a GMAIL account within this domain.

The link to the CAP.GOV domain is for a "canonicalized" domain on top of the cap.gov domain, like kywg.cap.gov.

I am not aware of any process available to anyone below WING CC that is available to receive a cap.gov email address like russ.hensley@cap.gov for example.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Pylon

We recently added E-mail service on the cap.gov domain for our squadron.  Basically, send an email or memo to Wing HQ through IT, requesting permission to have a CAP.gov domain for your unit.  In our case we used the common nomenclature of charter#.wing.cap.gov (so: 408.nywg.cap.gov). 

Apply for Google Apps e-mail services and using CAP's 501(c)(3) status upgrade to the Education/Non-Profit version for free (more space and services).  With some minimum set-up, you will get free email service for your whole unit including POP3, SMTP and Webmail based on the Gmail framework.  Works really well for us, and as I understand it, a number of other CAP units.  The best part of this?  It doesn't cost a dime to CAP or the members and works exceptionally well.

All squadron members use a firstname.lastname@408.nywg.cap.gov format, and we use email names and signature blocks that match up with the AF's standards outlined in AFI 33-119.  I now even have the squadron email synced up with my iPhone.

I agree with Eclipse's statement that, when conducting CAP business - especially with the outside world -- I think it adds a needed level of professionalism.  I would never use my personal email for my work, so why should I for CAP? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Daniel

well we have a .com but i might look into having a cap.gov domain added

right now my email is '@cap.cadets.pershing156th.com'

I am using cpanels email services right now but ive used google apps and like it.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

KyCAP

Quote from: Pylon on May 17, 2009, 09:38:29 PM
We recently added E-mail service on the cap.gov domain for our squadron.  Basically, send an email or memo to Wing HQ through IT, requesting permission to have a CAP.gov domain for your unit.  In our case we used the common nomenclature of charter#.wing.cap.gov (so: 408.nywg.cap.gov). 

Apply for Google Apps e-mail services and using CAP's 501(c)(3) status upgrade to the Education/Non-Profit version for free (more space and services).  With some minimum set-up, you will get free email service for your whole unit including POP3, SMTP and Webmail based on the Gmail framework.  Works really well for us, and as I understand it, a number of other CAP units.  The best part of this?  It doesn't cost a dime to CAP or the members and works exceptionally well.

I now even have the squadron email synced up with my iPhone.

I agree with Eclipse's statement that, when conducting CAP business - especially with the outside world -- I think it adds a needed level of professionalism.  I would never use my personal email for my work, so why should I for CAP?

In the long term, NHQ is allowing a real mess to occur with the cap.gov domain name.   They should be allowing all 65,000 members accessto the cap.gov domain name.    Having a domain name that has so many "hosts" in front of the "Domain" that are not under their control will be a HUGE problem when some of these domains become black-listed if one machine is compromised by a bot that generates a lot of spam..

I also don't understand why that Google is allowing those domains to be created without NHQ as the intermediary.  That's like allowing me to have russ.hensley@lexington.ky.microsoft.com when I am not authorized to create or anything related ot the microsoft.com domain...  odd..  I wouldn't have expected that to have passed muster with Google.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Pylon

Quote from: KyCAP on May 17, 2009, 09:44:04 PM
In the long term, NHQ is allowing a real mess to occur with the cap.gov domain name.   They should be allowing all 65,000 members accessto the cap.gov domain name.    Having a domain name that has so many "hosts" in front of the "Domain" that are not under their control will be a HUGE problem when some of these domains become black-listed if one machine is compromised by a bot that generates a lot of spam..

The ideal solution is obviously to have an email system integrated into E-Services or some sort of CAP member Portal (like AKO, AF Portal, etc.).  Every member then gets an official CAP email address, so there's no burden on the unit to figure it out and set-it-up and no double standard.

Quote from: KyCAP on May 17, 2009, 09:44:04 PM
I also don't understand why that Google is allowing those domains to be created without NHQ as the intermediary.  That's like allowing me to have russ.hensley@lexington.ky.microsoft.com when I am not authorized to create or anything related ot the microsoft.com domain...  odd..  I wouldn't have expected that to have passed muster with Google.

Yeah, except that's not how it works at all.  That's not even how domains in general work.

You have to create a certain CNAME record on the CAP.gov domain that directs to Google to verify you have control of the domain.  Then, Google tells you what records to create on your domain's end for MX servers.  You pass that info to the CAP.gov administrator who plugs that info into CAP's domain systems.  Once that propagates, stuff sent to your particular subdomain gets handled by Google's servers.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KyCAP

Yep.. After I wrote the latter part I thought about it and the Canonicalization (CNAME) has to have been done before the GMAIL accounts are applied for.. that is requiring NHQ to be involved.

Either way, most anti-spam appliances discard CNAME information when looking at blacklisting and just block the entire domain.   Most of these compromised machines are a result of not using strong password encryption.   Which NHQ isn't able to enforce now because by creating the canonicalization have delegated administration to someone for each record and I doubt that NHQ is asking for a policy for those "sub-domains".  Not good.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

USADOD

??? and allow each and every member to hold a .gov email account? that would not be good as everyone does not have the same intention for CAP and believe it or not the .gov does hold a bit of  official authority on the so called World Wide Web. It should be limited to staff members only at squadron, wing, region etc ... ..

;D Is it just me, probably.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: USADOD on May 18, 2009, 05:01:34 AM
??? and allow each and every member to hold a .gov email account? that would not be good as everyone does not have the same intention for CAP and believe it or not the .gov does hold a bit of  official authority on the so called World Wide Web. It should be limited to staff members only at squadron, wing, region etc ... ..

I'm not the expert on desigining web applications and such, but on that note:

If a CAP-wide e-mail system was incorporated, and say, tied into a newly created "CAP Portal" (yeah, dream on) - would it be possible to have the e-mail portion of the accounts initially inactive and unusable to the specific member until the unit commander checks a box which would pretty much "turn it on" and allow it to be used?  This way, if a unit commander feels someone shouldn't be using one, they simply not allow it.

Always Ready

Quote from: USADOD on May 18, 2009, 05:01:34 AM

I know NEWG used to give all members (including cadets) a '@newg.cap.gov' e-mail address. I used it quite a bit as a cadet when it worked. Now that they have 'newg-cap.org' website, the .gov issue becomes mute for them.

I wish NHQ would give everyone a CAP e-mail address. It just makes things more official and more professional. It doesn't have to be a '.gov' domain. In fact, I could live with '@gocivilairpatrol.com'. I hate using my person e-mail account for CAP contacts. While my personal e-mail address isn't embarrassing or anything, it was nice to have a dedicated CAP e-mail account that ties me to CAP, instead of Yahoo.

I'll probably end up paying for a custom e-mail address later on this year when I start up a recruiting drive and presenting to the local schools.

Always Ready

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 18, 2009, 07:03:57 AM
I'm not the expert on desigining web applications and such, but on that note:

If a CAP-wide e-mail system was incorporated, and say, tied into a newly created "CAP Portal" (yeah, dream on) - would it be possible to have the e-mail portion of the accounts initially inactive and unusable to the specific member until the unit commander checks a box which would pretty much "turn it on" and allow it to be used?  This way, if a unit commander feels someone shouldn't be using one, they simply not allow it.

Yes it would be possible and I hope that NHQ would implement it that way.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Always Ready on May 18, 2009, 07:13:50 AM

I'll have to add this to my list of things I want to either (a) submit up the chain one day, or (b) implement when I take over.

USADOD

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 18, 2009, 07:17:04 AM
Quote from: Always Ready on May 18, 2009, 07:13:50 AM

I'll have to add this to my list of things I want to either (a) submit up the chain one day, or (b) implement when I take over.

No need to submit the request, only a few months until you make Lieutenant General ;).....
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

MIKE

If everyone was issued a cap.gov email, then we could require them for registration.  >:D
Mike Johnston

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: MIKE on May 18, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
If everyone was issued a cap.gov email, then we could require them for registration.  >:D

Why hate on the not-yet-members-that-want-to-become-members that are just here for some newbie advice?   :P

Eclipse

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 18, 2009, 06:15:07 PM

Why hate on the not-yet-members-that-want-to-become-members that are just here for some newbie advice?

For starters a lot of them ask the same redundant questions that their unit CC would answer the first day they sign their name on the check.

For follow-up, there are too many "drive-bys" where people drop some pointed political nonsense in here and never come back, and unfortunately many of us (present company included), grab the bait.

Requiring registration would give at least the mods full knowledge that someone is who they say they are, and actually has a reason to care about CAP beyond voyeurism or a need to criticize from the outside about things they know little or nothing about.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Didn't the old CAPboard require a CAPID to register?  And where is that site today?

For an online community to thrive, you need to eliminate barriers to participation.

swamprat86

Not that I disagree with the idea, but what about retired members?  Would they get to keep their CAP email address and still participate in the forum or would they get kicked to the curb?

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on May 18, 2009, 06:26:46 PM
For an online community to thrive, you need to eliminate barriers to participation.

It depends on your definition of "thrive".

As to the question of retirees, I think that the active services handle that with an alternate domain of the main (i.e. other.af.mil) or something.

But frankly I have no idea why retirees, non-members, former (disgruntled) members, etc., are so interested in CAP that they'd spend their valuable time here arguing about uniforms they can't wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on May 18, 2009, 06:32:28 PMIt depends on your definition of "thrive".

The old CAPboard I mentioned earlier was supposedly "all business".  Even slightly off-topic posts were deleted.

And you know what?  That place sucked.

CAP Talk has become popular precisely because all the loonies are allowed to participate (or most of them, anyway).  The more traffic you get, the more people find you, and the more ideas get tossed about, and the more broad the base of expertise of the participants.

And fortunately, unlike real life, if you come upon a user you believe to be an idiot, you can just choose to ignore them.