Main Menu

CAP Book of Prayer

Started by Always Ready, March 11, 2009, 01:20:36 AM

Always Ready

I was reading through CAPP 225 (I was bored/curious) and I noticed that one of the recommendations for the tech rating for Moral Leadership Officers was to review the CAP Book of Prayer.

Quote from: CAPP 225b. Review a copy of the CAP Book of Prayer and become familiar with the first half.

I tried doing a search and couldn't find this book anywhere. Or maybe I'm a little rusty in my Google-fu. It's not an important thing, I'm just curious as to its contents and where I could get a copy. And before you ask, I don't have a Chaplain nor a MLO in my squadron to ask.

Chappie

It was available from CAPMart and then it was discontinued ('02).  For a short time it was available on the USAF Chaplain Corps site.  No longer there....just checked and was hoping I could find it in a .pdf file.  I will keep looking though and get back to you.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Always Ready

Thank ya sir! :) Don't go through too much trouble.

JAFO78

Isn't that any Reg. or Manual.

Sorry Chappie had too. He made me do it, >>> >:D
JAFO

Gunner C

I have a different way of looking at it - since prayer is communication with Deity, why doesn't the Chaplains Corps teach people (those who would like to learn) how to pray instead of having a manual of what to pray.  Chaplains should be spiritual advisors and this would be pretty valuable advice.  Vain repetitions of memorized prose isn't communication.  If we don't use other person's written words to talk to each other, then why should we do the same thing to converse with God?  He's a loving father, not a respecter fancy writing.  I know that when my children talk to me, I want to know what's in their hearts, not a recitation from Goethe.  :D  YMMV

Chappie

Quote from: Gunner C on March 11, 2009, 05:02:29 PM
I have a different way of looking at it - since prayer is communication with Deity, why doesn't the Chaplains Corps teach people (those who would like to learn) how to pray instead of having a manual of what to pray.  Chaplains should be spiritual advisors and this would be pretty valuable advice.  Vain repetitions of memorized prose isn't communication.  If we don't use other person's written words to talk to each other, then why should we do the same thing to converse with God?  He's a loving father, not a respecter fancy writing.  I know that when my children talk to me, I want to know what's in their hearts, not a recitation from Goethe.  :D  YMMV

Gunner C...I have no problem at all with that concept -  I embrace it and practice it.  I know -- you hear the "however" in my voice :)

The matter of public prayer in a pluralist environment is the subject of much discussion and even policies within the DoD and military branches.   Chaplains find themselves tasked with offering a prayer for a mandated (Encampment for cadets or a PD event for Seniors -- mandated in the sense that unless you check this box or jump through this hoop, you will not advance -- staff meetings, squadron meetings) or even public event (i.e. Squadron Awards Dinner, Wing/Region Conference, National Board-Conference, etc).   This is a challenge since those present come from all over the religious or even non-religious spectrum.   Military and Civil Air Patrol chaplains come from various religious backgrounds and practices as well -- some from Liturgical backgrounds or from non-Liturgical.  Some are accustomed to writing their prayers...others like to "shoot from the hip and lip."  But the purpose of public prayer is the same -- to bring people near to God and acknowledging Him.

The Book of Prayer that was published by the USAF Chaplain Service is a collection of prayers for all occasions you can imagine in the military (Change of Command ceremonies, Dinners, Dedications, Holidays, Memorials, Bereavement, etc.).   There isn't a regulation that states one has to pray from only the USAF Chaplain Service Book of Prayer.  But not having a background in the military (a pluralistic organization), I have found this as a useful resource to help me frame my words and thoughts as I practice the "ministry of presence" when offering a public prayer.

Chappie

Quote from: Rob Goodman on March 11, 2009, 08:47:44 AM
Isn't that any Reg. or Manual.

Sorry Chappie had too. He made me do it, >>> >:D

Just out looking for the "prodigal" resource  :angel:

Always Ready

To me, I am interested in any religious works. That's why I am curious in this book. Some of the greatest works of literature are of a religious nature. Relevance to CAP: Several of my squadron's members are very spiritual and since we don't have a MLO or a Chaplain, I am considering taking up the MLO post sometime this year. I have found having a good Chaplain or MLO in the field or at meetings to be very helpful.

Ok, lets stay on topic before Mike comes through here and locks this up.

Chappie: Thanks for the description. I think I would find it very helpful in the near future. Are there any other documents that you would use in the same context? Maybe an Air Force Book of Prayer?

Does anyone else know if/where I can get an electronic copy of the CAP Book of Prayer?

Snake Doctor

I have a PDF version if anyone wants it.  1.7 Mg
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Gunner C

Quote from: Chappie on March 11, 2009, 07:39:13 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on March 11, 2009, 05:02:29 PM

Gunner C...I have no problem at all with that concept -  I embrace it and practice it.  I know -- you hear the "however" in my voice :)

The matter of public prayer in a pluralist environment is the subject of much discussion and even policies within the DoD and military branches.   Chaplains find themselves tasked with offering a prayer for a mandated (Encampment for cadets or a PD event for Seniors -- mandated in the sense that unless you check this box or jump through this hoop, you will not advance -- staff meetings, squadron meetings) or even public event (i.e. Squadron Awards Dinner, Wing/Region Conference, National Board-Conference, etc).   This is a challenge since those present come from all over the religious or even non-religious spectrum.   Military and Civil Air Patrol chaplains come from various religious backgrounds and practices as well -- some from Liturgical backgrounds or from non-Liturgical.  Some are accustomed to writing their prayers...others like to "shoot from the hip and lip."  But the purpose of public prayer is the same -- to bring people near to God and acknowledging Him.

The Book of Prayer that was published by the USAF Chaplain Service is a collection of prayers for all occasions you can imagine in the military (Change of Command ceremonies, Dinners, Dedications, Holidays, Memorials, Bereavement, etc.).   There isn't a regulation that states one has to pray from only the USAF Chaplain Service Book of Prayer.  But not having a background in the military (a pluralistic organization), I have found this as a useful resource to help me frame my words and thoughts as I practice the "ministry of presence" when offering a public prayer.

The problem is that these "prayers" that are read at gatherings are actually sermons where the chaplain is speaking to the gathered rather than speaking to God in behalf of those gathered.  My wife and I see it more and more.  I believe if the prayer giver would listen to the Spirit, the words will come easily.  Otherwise, with a set prayer book we'll say "Oh Lord, prayer #6.  Amen."  ;D

winterg

Just use one of these!  It's what I use.  ;D

http://www.israelmilitary.com/israel-force-tehilim-book-psalms-p-1560.html?cPath=6325&osCsid=ce552b24aee2202146

In all seriousness, a Chaplain at events or in the field can be very helpful, and not just in leading prayers.  Sometimes it's nice to just unload on them after a mission.  Particularly ones that involve any fatalities.

And while I'm Jewish myself, I enjoy the prayers from the AF or CAP prayer books.  I've never seen anything in them that could be offensive to anyone.  But I suppose these days some people can find offense in just about anything. :-\

Another observation I have noticed about the CAP/Military prayers, they remind me of the prayers that we use in the Masonic Lodge that are carefully crafted to offend no one's religious sensibilities and unite a diverse group in prayer.

Shalom

ThorntonOL

Quote from: Snake Doctor on March 11, 2009, 09:07:08 PM
I'm interested in an electronic copy.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Always Ready

Thanks everybody.

winterg: I think I am going to invest in that. A very nice case for a nice book :)

Snake Doctor: PM sent. I look forward to receiving it.

ol'fido

I have just a little while ago come from the house of my cousin. She is in her last hours after many years of fighting cancer. I expect to receive a phone call before morning that she has gone to be with the Lord. Prayers whether original or from a book are just the words we speak to convey our feelings. The real prayers are in our hearts and from the soul and no matter what you say that is what He hears.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JC004

If you want somewhere to host the PDF so that we can have a link to it, send it to me and I'll post it here.

CAPTShaw

I would like a copy too, Please, and thank you

Quote from: Snake Doctor on March 11, 2009, 09:07:08 PM
Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

Al Sayre

I would like a copy as well please, and thank you

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Robemax

I would greatly appreciate a copy of the Book: robemax@earthlink.net

Thank you, in advance.

Bob

Orville_third

I'd like a copy for myself and for our squadron Chaplain.
I do have the old Song and Service Book for Ship and Field (A.S. Barnes & Co., 1942) (Small and old, but has quite a few hymns (and oddly enough, some old Steven Foster songs...) and the Book of Worship for United States Forces (GPO, 1974) (If you have to get one ecumenical hymnal, this is it. It has traditional and (1970's) contemporary, Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Jewish, Christian Science, and LDS hymns. Also has a few religious services.) I do need to get copies of the latter for our squadron and Chaplain.

On the topic of prayer, I have come from the school that advocates spontaneous, individually written prayer. That said, sometimes, well-written prayers can be quite useful for specific occasions.

And, this may be off-topic, but has anyone found or written a CAP verse for "Eternal Father, Strong to Save"? (Hey, they've added at least 12 verses in the aforementioned Book of Worship, and there are at least six more that I know of...)
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Chappie

Quote from: Orville_third on June 30, 2009, 11:24:37 PM
I'd like a copy for myself and for our squadron Chaplain.
I do have the old Song and Service Book for Ship and Field (A.S. Barnes & Co., 1942) (Small and old, but has quite a few hymns (and oddly enough, some old Steven Foster songs...) and the Book of Worship for United States Forces (GPO, 1974) (If you have to get one ecumenical hymnal, this is it. It has traditional and (1970's) contemporary, Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Jewish, Christian Science, and LDS hymns. Also has a few religious services.) I do need to get copies of the latter for our squadron and Chaplain.

On the topic of prayer, I have come from the school that advocates spontaneous, individually written prayer. That said, sometimes, well-written prayers can be quite useful for specific occasions.

And, this may be off-topic, but has anyone found or written a CAP verse for "Eternal Father, Strong to Save"? (Hey, they've added at least 12 verses in the aforementioned Book of Worship, and there are at least six more that I know of...)

The USAF/CAP Book of Prayer can be found at:  http://hc.pcr.cap.gov/resources.html

It is in a .pdf format that can be downloaded.

Orville_third

Many thanks. I'll make sure my chaplain gets it.

After opening it, I can only say (with reverence) My God, this is amazing!
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing