Administrative "File Plan"

Started by Eclipse, March 20, 2008, 08:32:53 PM

Eclipse

The SUI says you're supposed to have one, but the guidance is vague (as far as I can see).

Anyone got an outline or boilerplate for this?

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

I'm still learning about this, thanks for reminding me I need to email a former member to get a copy of his records.

:)

IceNine

If I recall correctly wing published guidance on this a while ago.  I'd try Wing Admin/Prof Dev.

And I'll check tonight at group HQ for a copy of ours. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mynetdude

Quote from: IceNine on March 20, 2008, 10:11:02 PM
If I recall correctly wing published guidance on this a while ago.  I'd try Wing Admin/Prof Dev.

And I'll check tonight at group HQ for a copy of ours. 

Each wing will have different guides/policies in that regard though :)

Camas

Check out CAPR10-2 for some ideas

MIKE

Why is this in ES & Ops?  At first glance it seems like a broader subject better suited to the Lobby.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on March 21, 2008, 01:35:56 AM
Why is this in ES & Ops?  At first glance it seems like a broader subject better suited to the Lobby.

Move away - I saw "operations" as broader.

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2008, 08:32:53 PM
The SUI says you're supposed to have one, but the guidance is vague (as far as I can see).

Anyone got an outline or boilerplate for this?

Yeah, we got nailed for this one........I had to admit I never even heard of it before. JKalemis, are you reading? This is the one we spoke of but couldn't remember the name ;)  Oh well, live and learn.......
"Is it Friday yet"

SarDragon

Here's what I started with in my unit. I got it from another unit, and modified slightly. Some stuff on here is unique to CAWG (OES thing in particular). One of our other posters may recognize it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2008, 05:37:52 AM
Here's what I started with in my unit. I got it from another unit, and modified slightly. Some stuff on here is unique to CAWG (OES thing in particular). One of our other posters may recognize it.

well OES sounds like part of Emergency services, but then again I have no clue I am not from CAWG care to elaborate briefly since you brought it up? ;).

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on March 21, 2008, 07:55:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2008, 05:37:52 AM

well OES sounds like part of Emergency services, but then again I have no clue I am not from CAWG care to elaborate briefly since you brought it up? ;).

We have to keep an OES (CA Office of Emergency Services) form on file for each member actively doing ES. Your state may require something similar. (Or not.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

We use the file plan in 10-2.  Each "department" is divided up in there.  We have a folder that is labeled for each of those items. 

For example:  Table 1 is for administration.  So all the admin files are filed as shown in the table.  We have folders labeled:

1. File Plan
2. Suspense Control
3. General Corespondence

and so on.

Each department is a different color so you can see where they change visually in the file cabinet.  Then just put what it says in each one.  If your wing has specific requirements, just fit the folders in the existing file plan somewhere.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ctrossen

Here's a link to an online fileplan (in MS Excel format).

http://home.earthlink.net/~glrwi205/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/fileplan.xls

The big thing to remember: the file plan is there simply to tell you (or anyone looking) where to find specific types/kinds of required files. Want to know where to find MSAs issued to members of your unit? Look in file "X", etc.

Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

IceNine

No Joy, apparently I need to re-write this for my group as well.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Thanks for the help, I've received some PM's with info as well - ICE, our wing is formalizing one as we speak, should have something published shortly.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

God... I hate reading this thread and seeing our file cabinet today... .

I'm not the admin person but she is retiring in 8 months.... I'd actually like to be admin just not personnel (what a twisted thinking).  Today I happened to be going through the sq files and I saw all the files in various departments many of them empty or super old and no current data so I am not sure where all the files are being kept.

I don't have anything against this thread, just that things I am noticing are way out of place at my squadron so I am still "investigating" to why... I have yet to ask her about it.

RiverAux

I set one up for a squadron I was in a while back.  It was easy -- a whole bunch of folders arranged as required, but there was almost nothing at all in them. 

mynetdude

Quote from: RiverAux on March 22, 2008, 03:06:15 AM
I set one up for a squadron I was in a while back.  It was easy -- a whole bunch of folders arranged as required, but there was almost nothing at all in them. 

Well I'll bet you can store/save these electronically now if you have proper backup contingencies in place.  I'd like to eliminate half a file cabinet for this purpose! :D