Re-thinking the "One CAP" policy

Started by RiverAux, September 15, 2007, 04:14:24 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: rdmcii on September 18, 2007, 11:47:53 PM
The old Wing numbers are not sequencial. They are the Region number plus the Wing number, thus the "52" on the Indiana Wing patch means Region 5 (GLR) wing 2, not that it was the last wing.

Bob

We are on system #3 for wing and unit designations. The first was with region and wing numbers as above.

The second was with wing and charter numbers, e.g. 17034, 29059, 29096, based on an alphabetical list of wing names. DCWG is listed as National Capitol, and AK, HI, and PR fill out 50, 51, and 52.

The third is the current system with the wings designated by their postal abbreviations.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

And this CAP News Online press release shows one aspect of the problem:
QuoteMaj. John Neil
Incident Commander
Department of Emergency Services
Alabama Wing

ALABAMA -- Alabama Wing members located a downed Piper Saratoga late Sept. 14 in a remote area near the Alabama-Mississippi boarder about 6 1/2 hours after the craft disappeared off radar in severe weather.

The Air Force Rescue Coordination Center contacted the Alabama Wing about 8:30 p.m. to help look for the plane, which had last been seen on radar near York, Ala., during a thunderstorm some four hours earlier.

Severe weather in western Alabama and eastern Mississippi prevented aerial searches. So the incident commander, Maj. John Neil of the Alabama Wing, dispatched ground teams from the 117th Air National Guard Composite and Autauga-Elmore Composite squadrons and an urban direction finding team from the Tuscaloosa Composite Squadron to the scene.

The ground teams arrived about 11 p.m. in York, where local police had found parts of the plane near the road. The searchers were directed 10 miles into a remote area of swampy forest dense with vegetation, where a state police helicopter had picked up a very weak emergency locator transmitter signal. The aircraft may have broken up in flight, as wreckage was found in multiple locations, miles apart.

Upon arriving in the area,  the ground teams went to work. Within 30 minutes of using its direction-finding equipment, the 117th Air National Guard Composite team found the main fuselage. The ground teams led members of the sheriff's department and emergency medical personnel to the main crash site, where the pilot's body was recovered.

In all, 24 Alabama Wing members were involved in the search as ground or urban direction finding team members or mission staff.

Sumter County Sheriff's Department and Alabama State Police officials said that without the Alabama Wing's assistance, finding the main wreckage and the pilot's body could have taken several days.

Now, just what is a reporter, even a competent one, supposed to think when he see "117th Air National Guard Composite Squadron" in a CAP press release?  They're going to assume that we're part of the Air National Guard, which doesn't at all help the "One CAP" policy. 

Grumpy

What did I say the other day?  Have you ever know the press to get it right?
Your Honor, I rest my case.

RiverAux

Yes, they always manage to get something wrong in every story I've been involved in, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do what we can to avoid it. 

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on September 20, 2007, 10:51:24 PMNow, just what is a reporter, even a competent one, supposed to think when he see "117th Air National Guard Composite Squadron" in a CAP press release?  They're going to assume that we're part of the Air National Guard, which doesn't at all help the "One CAP" policy. 

This is one reason why I believe that Unit Charter Numbers should be used to number squadrons. 

For example:

SER-AL-090 = 90th Birmingham Composite Squadron

SER-AL-087 = 87th Bessemer Composite Squadron

SER-AL-032 = 32nd Maxwell AFB Composite Squadron

From what I understand, Colorado Wing already does this.  Now, if CAP can standardize this procedure and have all CAP squadrons numbered according to Unit Charter Number, that will help get rid of the confusion. 

RiverAux

Nope, Colorado uses standard place names.  Arkansas and Maine appear to be the only states that use "56th Composite Squadron" type names across the board. 

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on September 20, 2007, 11:22:23 PM
Nope, Colorado uses standard place names.  Arkansas and Maine appear to be the only states that use "56th Composite Squadron" type names across the board. 

I stand corrected. 

Eagle400

Arkansas and Maine appear to be the only states that use "56th Composite Squadron" type names across the board.

You see, I don't think that's right.  The way squadrons are named should be standardized across the entire organization.

I also believe that all CAP wings should be numbered and not named according to state.  Some wing emblems have their number already printed on them. 

RiverAux

What can I say but that NHQ isn't very consistent in approving name changes for squadrons. 

jimmydeanno

and Maine appear to be the only states that use "56th Composite Squadron" type names across the board. 

I'm pretty sure that even though the squadron is chartered as "56th Composite Squadron" they call themselves different names.

For example:

75th Composite Squadron is: Machias Valley Composite Squadron
38th Composite Squadron is: Downeast Composite Squadron
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Here is something many fail to realize.  When one replaces a UNIT name like... "The Corpus Christi Composite Squadron"... to something like "The 26th Composite Squadron..." you have taken a name with geographic and local significance and replaced it with what is to the public an "arbitrary" numeral.

If you call it "The 26th Texas Composite Squadron," how would that eliminate the problem of people thinking CAP is a State/Commonwealth organization?

This goes against the paradigms that were discussed at the PAO academy that called for more local connections and relationships to community.

Just a thought...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2007, 03:57:28 PM
If you call it "The 26th Texas Composite Squadron," how would that eliminate the problem of people thing CAP is a State/Commonwealth organization?

Besides, I can just see a bunch of gung-ho cadets waving Lone Star State flags and yelling, "Come on, 26th Texas!" as they burst into the woods on a mission.  Hoo boy.   :D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

jimmydeanno

I completely agree.  Removing any reference to your local community with your squadron name is IMO tacky.

CAP is a community based program and our squadron names should reflect such.  People get a better sense of the area you serve with a local reference as opposed to a numeral.  They can also build a better connection/relationship with the name because that's where they are from.  

When you state squadron titles, you'd say "The Corpus Christi Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol," or, "The Corpus Christi Composite Squadron of the Texas Wing of the Civil Air Patrol" which helps people identify, using common sense, where your from.

I like the name associations, leave them alone. ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

And the result in the paper is likely to be the "Corpus Christi Composite Texas Patrol Squadron...."

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2007, 05:43:57 PM
And the result in the paper is likely to be the "Corpus Christi Composite Texas Patrol Squadron...."

Now, Now...one would think you meant to say our media brethren are less than intelligent. :P

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

No, actually I'm not.  They're good folks who in my experience try their best to get things right, but have a whole lot of facts that they have to deal with and they're bound to get some of them wrong. 

But, we can't expect them to understand the somewhat complicated CAP organizational structure as well as they should.  Since the Iraq war has started I've seen that they've greatly improved their ability to name military units properly since they're using that information so often.  But, with CAP is a different ballgame. 

Grumpy

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2007, 07:55:47 PM
No, actually I'm not.  They're good folks who in my experience try their best to get things right, but have a whole lot of facts that they have to deal with and they're bound to get some of them wrong. 

I was hoping you would say that.  I operate a weekly newsletter for our unit, occasionally information overwhelms me and my staff.  Sometimes Major are called Capt and the like...but we produce quite a lot of articles.  Sometimes typos happen.

However, I have seen consistant problems with the naming of CAP units.

I keep it simple in press releases...

"The Corpus Christi Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol"

CAP Units are a strange mix...its a National Organization that has its strength in local relationship with the majority of CAP Officers and Cadets so far removed from National and Region, sometimes WING, it seems like each unit is more a local "service organization."  

Since CAP is not a household name, yet, it is looked at as a LOCAL organization.  Thus, unit geographical names are better.  Number systems and the like will only make CAP more impersonal.  One must make it clear...totally clear that it is the local functionary of a GREATER WHOLE!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2007, 08:17:32 PM
One mush make it clear...

One mush? 

No more for Sparky, guys ... he's had it.  He's tanked.  Who's the designated driver tonight, anyway?

;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 21, 2007, 08:22:44 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2007, 08:17:32 PM
One mush make it clear...

One mush? 

No more for Sparky, guys ... he's had it.  He's tanked.  Who's the designated driver tonight, anyway?

;D

Jack

Too much "virtual rum" too early in the day!  ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454