Main Menu

Awesome E-Learning

Started by mikeylikey, August 15, 2007, 03:30:10 PM

mikeylikey

PAWG has created an on-line E Learning site. General Colgan is one of the founders and has taken on administering it's content and upkeep.  It looks from the outside as a good thing.  I expect it to grow and become very popular.  Take a look at http://www.pawingcap.com/educ/
What's up monkeys?

Walkman

Very Nice. Looking forward to digging in.

Good Job "General" ;)

pixelwonk

JC004

WHAT IS THIS?  I come on here and people are talking about me?  ::sigh::

I've been scanning through my multi-gigabyte CAP folder and pulling out stuff that I've taught over the years.  Once I get it together, I am moving most of it to the e-Learning site.  It will be open to all CAP members.  Priority is on Public Affairs and some of the simple courses to put together.  I even have some cool video material from DoD that I am planning to add.

It hasn't even been up for 24 hours yet, so it might take a little while to get it all together.

I'm also soliciting additional material and/or instructors.  Suggestions, class outlines, and PowerPoint presentations welcome.

P.S.
I just closed self-registration until I figure out how I am going to authenticate e-mail addresses outside of PAWG (they will need to be the same as your e-mail on file with NHQ).

Tubacap

standardized emails... standardized emails... standardized emails... ah one can hope!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Skyray

I'd settle for working emails.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on August 15, 2007, 06:35:34 PM
standardized emails... standardized emails... standardized emails... ah one can hope!

I'm adding one day to your eternal wait for a .gov.  Eternity and a day.  Take that.   :P

Tubacap

personally, I'll settle for anything as long is it is standardized. Wing is good, nationally is even better.  I might even take a .uk or wait, would that be the U.K. Civil Air Patrol
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on August 15, 2007, 07:53:16 PM
personally, I'll settle for anything as long is it is standardized. Wing is good, nationally is even better.  I might even take a .uk or wait, would that be the U.K. Civil Air Patrol

I can give you a .org.  You might try getting one from the Brazilian Civil Air Patrol...it might be easier than the current bottleneck with our .govs.  In the meantime, I'll be building my e-Learning site...

floridacyclist

I can give you a choice between Tallahasseecap.org, talcap.org, or tlhcap.org.....at least theu have CAP in them.

Oh yeah, you have to go by firstinitiallastname.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 16, 2007, 02:37:27 AM
I can give you a choice between Tallahasseecap.org, talcap.org, or tlhcap.org.....at least theu have CAP in them.

Oh yeah, you have to go by firstinitiallastname.

It's cool.  You can go be with the Florida guys.  We won't cry or anything. 

You are still obligated to help with the e-Learning site.  Apparently someone set the news loose and the inquiries came flooding in from new cadets to wing commanders alike.  Yikes.  Still building people, still building!

Thanks to those who have made suggestions thus far or volunteered to build a course.  More good things to come, I hope!

mikeylikey...I will destroy you.  I told you about leaking my plans. 

docspur

Quote from: JC004 on August 15, 2007, 05:02:12 PM
I just closed self-registration until I figure out how I am going to authenticate e-mail addresses outside of PAWG (they will need to be the same as your e-mail on file with NHQ).

What if we promise promise promise cross-our-hearts-hope-to-die that our emails are authentic?  Please please give me access.  I was wanting to snoop..uh, I mean look at all the cool stuff and it said No! Bad person! <hand slap> (Actually it said "Sorry, '<any place I wanted to go>' does not allow guests to enter.

I'll be good...really.  :angel:

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

DrDave

How about allowing those of us from CAPtalk who PM you?

If we're on CAPtalk, we're okay, right? ;)

Please, please, please!

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

JC004

Welllll, I guess guys from Missouri are alright...(secret PMs sent)

Patience all, patience.  Between changes in the software since I last used it, getting all the stuff together, and getting it all into the system, it's gonna take a little work. 

Thanks for all the input/requests/ideas that is coming in via e-mail and PM.  There is obviously a demand for something like this.

(still going to destroy you, mikeylikey)

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2007, 02:00:37 PM
(still going to destroy you, mikeylikey)

You are WELCOME!  Can't NOT let you get the credit you deserve for being the first in the country to do something so awesome.  How long until NHQ begins paying you to administer this on a national scale?  Say......www.elearning.cap.gov   would be awesome.  WE can move all the PRO DEV stuff to it and mirror the military systems.  Then we can say "AF... give us your classes, we will host them on our site, and you just have to print out the diplomas, thanks".
What's up monkeys?

JC004

It looks like I can verify the e-mail addresses through WMU.  It won't let me do it in real-time, but the database of the day is good enough.

Here's the deal:  I'm setting everything up and starting to get the instructors lined up and preparing the materials to move online.  I've let people know this, but a lot of folks want to get their account set up, play with the site, and get ready for the launch of some courses (also, when you are signed up, you will get the automatic e-mail updates from us). 

If you want me to set up an account for you, I need: name, CAPID, e-mail address (must be the same as that on file with NHQ), charter number.  PM them to me or send me an e-mail and I will configure your account.  Don't expect much yet, but one reason I am pre-registering people (other than to have them get the e-mail updates, and avoid the headache of doing it later) is that I want to hear your feedback on what settings/options/features you like or don't like as we go forward.  The feedback I've received so far has been great, so I'd love to get more.

To heck with uniform changes, AP stories, and Vanguard.  Let this be an opportunity for the membership to shape our own training based on our needs.
  :)

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2007, 08:35:09 PM

To heck with uniform changes, AP stories, and Vanguard.  Let this be an opportunity for the membership to shape our own training based on our needs.

Well said General.  So you need to change your sig line to read: 

General James Colgan USCAP
Pawg Webmaster General
E-Learning Guru
All Around Awesome Dude
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 16, 2007, 09:49:15 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2007, 08:35:09 PM

Well said General.  So you need to change your sig line to read: 

General James Colgan USCAP
Pawg Webmaster General
E-Learning Guru
All Around Awesome Dude

No no.  Part of the plan is that the targets of my coup don't see me as powerful (and therefore a threat).  Then we move in, and... ::evil laugh::

Shhhh, that's all part of my ultra-secret plan.

I've just finished configuring the last of the flood of account requests.  So far, great feedback on the features and even more instructor/course developer volunteers.  Outstanding!  A couple of people have asked if they can develop a course and bring in a group of testers from people they know...absolutely - just get me the required sign-up info (above), and I'll configure the accounts.

Maj Ballard

This is outstanding. In my "real life" I'm an E-Learning Instructional Designer. I've offered on multiple occasions to help NHQ get something like this going, but since you obviously have the initiative and talent, I now make that offer to you.

Let me know how I can help.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

JC004

National priority list:

1. Get Black Van detailed
2. Buy one box of 12 BIC pens for each wing and region, spend three years distributing
3. Change the links around in e-Services to create confusion
4. New nameplate
5. New new nameplate
6. Ask about brown leather jacket again, get rejected
7. New new TPU coat
8. Smoke break
9. Donut Discount Program
10. Order change of frequencies before determining what they will be
11. New new new nameplate
12. Find a really cool cat to be the NHQ building mascot
13. Send Transformers theme song out on CD to each unit
1,982. E-Learning

So while National (volunteer) designs new uniforms and NHQ (paid) does...whatever it is that they do, we'll make an e-Learning site.   :)  I shall now go and configure you an account...  GENERAL, AWAY! ::dramatic music plays::