Best and Worst Wing Web pages

Started by RiverAux, August 12, 2007, 02:45:36 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JCJ

Quote from: brasda91 on August 12, 2007, 08:17:06 PM
I don't agree with talking about a Wing website that you think needs work, unless it's your own Wing.  Instead, if you think your wing has an awesome website, why not just present the link for us to see?

www.kywgcap.org

Arkansas (www.arwingcap.org) functional and pleasing to the eye - but designed on purpose to be simple and load quickly since some squadrons are still on dial-up internet access.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2007, 09:03:52 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 12, 2007, 04:25:19 AM
What is that website again that shows you what other websites looked like in the past? 

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Man, its a just a little bit scary that they've got even fairly obscure sites like CAP wing web pages archived there.  I guess that once its on the internet its ALWAYS on the internet is true. 

Gunner C

I want to nominate the Middle East Region site as the ABSOLUTE WORST!

http://www.mer.cap.gov

jimmydeanno

^hey, they updated it...it used to look like the VAWG webpage.  It was great, you'd link to the VAWG page from the MER page and get frames in frames! YAY!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

NY is way, way out of date. 
Didn't see anything wrong with Middle East Region -- modern design, recent news.  Whats the problem? 

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on August 13, 2007, 10:29:51 PM
NY is way, way out of date. 
Didn't see anything wrong with Middle East Region -- modern design, recent news.  Whats the problem? 

Black and dark backgrounds with white or light text are an issue, but not the end of the world.

Pylon

An interesting question to pose:

For those of you in a Wing with a pretty sweet, regularly updated website - do you find it to be a regular resource you draw upon often?  (Checking the calendar, downloading documents, visiting for news, etc.)?

I'm curious to know how big a difference a sweet Wing website makes for members of that Wing.

I know that the NYWG website is pretty chunky, often difficult to navigate, and a bit harsh on the eyes.  I don't visit often.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Walkman

^^ Any website that has relevant, regularly updated content and usable navigation will get traffic. Since I'm new, I haven't had a chance to study what the best combination of content & functionality is for a Wing site, but that's going to be one of my first priorities when I get down to the ones I'm working on.

Any of you that are working on unit sites and want some good examples of design, here is a good gallery:

http://www.designmeltdown.com/

If anyone needs some help or advise from a web pro, feel free to PM me.

davedove

Quote from: Pylon on August 14, 2007, 02:38:41 PM

For those of you in a Wing with a pretty sweet, regularly updated website - do you find it to be a regular resource you draw upon often?  (Checking the calendar, downloading documents, visiting for news, etc.)?

I know that I look at Maryland Wing's site a lot to check the calendar.  As the PDO, it gives me a heads up on training that's being planned.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

JCJ

Quote from: Pylon on August 14, 2007, 02:38:41 PM

I'm curious to know how big a difference a sweet Wing website makes for members of that Wing.

I know that the NYWG website is pretty chunky, often difficult to navigate, and a bit harsh on the eyes.  I don't visit often.

Maj. Blake Sasse, the AR Wing PAO, revamped a useless page to the current one (www.arwingcap.org) which is regularly updated and very simple (but attractive) in design.  Since it was revamped, it has been heavily used for the practical reasons you mentioned.  When I was with AR wing, I used it regularly (sometimes several times/day) after the update.  I think the key was that even though it is attractive, it is functional and easy to use.

Keeping the functional web pages to a reasonable size will be even more important as people use more mobile web applications (mobile web cards, crackberries, i-phones, etc)

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Gunner C on August 13, 2007, 05:36:51 PM
I want to nominate the Middle East Region site as the ABSOLUTE WORST!

http://www.mer.cap.gov

The Middle East Region... does this mean that CAP has wings in Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan? How do they get them to all get along?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

drcomm

The Oklahoma Wing web site http://www.okwg.cap.gov/ would probably win the award for most bland wing web site.  It is relatively easy to get to the section you need but it is not updated nearly enough.  It's better than it has been, but still has a way to go to make it a pleasing to look at good on-line resource.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Duke Dillio

All right, so California, being one of the largest wings with all kinds of software developers, should have a really kick butt website, right?

WRONG!!!

cawg.cap.gov

Have a look for yourselves.  It needs some serious attention.

♠SARKID♠

Definitely have to go with Wisconsin.  Doesn't look like it was thrown together in basic HTML like the others do.

http://www.wiwgcap.org/