MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SARMedTech

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 28, 2007, 03:11:12 PM
Don't go throwing me under the bus...

Who threw you under the bus, Captain?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Al Sayre

photogpilot "... Al sez so"  I didn't say nothing! ;)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 02, 2007, 07:46:49 PM
Maybe we can just turn Capt Wedley loose on them.

From another topic, but who is Capt. Wedley?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MIKE

Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

ah I see. . .  CPPT issues anyone?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Skyray

I spent ten years in the Naval Service and never heard the term BRAVO ZULU.  Then, in 1995, after a nasty divorce from the CAP, I joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary and one of the pro words that I had to learn along with its meaning and derivation, was Bravo Zulu, which roughly corresponded to the old "Well Done" that I was accustomed to.  It is in every day use in the Coast Guard, but it was not something I was required to learn as a Midshipman in 1957-58.  I am curious as to whether it is a recent addition to the lexicon or simply a variation of culture between the Brown Shoe and Black Shoe Navy.  We Brown Shoes rarely communicated with flag hoists, although we were required to know them.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SarDragon

I heard it all the time WIWOAD (1969-1989), from all three segments - brown shoes, black shoes, and bubble heads. I think the most predominate use was by the black shoe officers, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

What's the dif between brown/black shoes?  Does Bubble heads mean pilots or divers?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Black shoes - surface Navy
Brown shoes - aviation Navy
Bubbleheads - submarine Navy

The shoe distinction has blurred over the years, since all chiefs and officers can wear brown shoes now, but the community distinctions remain strong.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Quote from: Skyray on July 10, 2007, 12:25:28 PM
I spent ten years in the Naval Service and never heard the term BRAVO ZULU.  Then, in 1995, after a nasty divorce from the CAP, I joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary and one of the pro words that I had to learn along with its meaning and derivation, was Bravo Zulu, which roughly corresponded to the old "Well Done" that I was accustomed to.  It is in every day use in the Coast Guard, but it was not something I was required to learn as a Midshipman in 1957-58.  I am curious as to whether it is a recent addition to the lexicon or simply a variation of culture between the Brown Shoe and Black Shoe Navy.  We Brown Shoes rarely communicated with flag hoists, although we were required to know them.

I was an AD Squid (AT1) from 82-89.  The squadron received a daily news summary that included a list of BZ's for the the various USN contingents/personnel that did something notable, so it's not that new...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

SARMedTech

Did anyone read the post I made about the International Code of Signals adopting Bravo Zulu,among others, for both flight and sea service use in 1949?  I thought that would have "dispelled the mystery" of how it found its way into cloud jockey parlance.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SarDragon

Something about horses and water?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Skyray

Al Sayre:
QuoteI was an AD Squid (AT1) from 82-89.  The squadron received a daily news summary that included a list of BZ's for the the various USN contingents/personnel that did something notable, so it's not that new...

Thanks, Al.  That answers my question, it's a time domain thing.  By 1982 I was winding up a career as an airline pilot.  Sounds like the brass needed something to replace the time worn "Well Done" and used the flag hoist.  It is ubictious in the Coast Guard today.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Al Sayre

Anytime,  I am often considered as posessing a wealth of otherwise useless information... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Skyray

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 12, 2007, 04:40:52 PM
Anytime,  I am often considered as posessing a wealth of otherwise useless information... :D

We have a lot in common in addition to roots in Mississippi.  My wife keeps threatening to sign me up for "Jeopardy."  Where are you from in Mississippi--I consider T.J Fortune one of my early mentors in CAP.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Al Sayre

I'm originally from Florida, but I live in Vicksburg and work in Port Gibson.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Skyray

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 12, 2007, 05:28:32 PM
I'm originally from Florida, but I live in Vicksburg and work in Port Gibson.

Told you we had a lot in common.  I'm originally from Cleveland, MS, but I live in Palmetto Bay, Florida and work (such as it is) on Causeway Island (Miami Beach).  My daughter went to SMU and we would stop at Vicksburg on the trips back and forth.  I am of an age where I get into the Park free and I never could pass up a bargain.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Al Sayre

Shoot me a pm next time you are coming up this way, I'll buy the 1st round.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787