Service jackets. Both enlisted and officer.

Started by Full time cadet, October 28, 2015, 05:08:14 PM

Full time cadet

Why are service jackets not sold on Vanguard? Vanguard sells the commercial grade service pant and shirt made by companies that also makes the service jacket. Such as flying cross or the weintraub brothers.

kwe1009

There probably isn't enough of a demand for them, not enough profit potential, or they couldn't work out a deal with the manufacturers.  Vanguard is in the business of making money so if they are not selling something there is probably a very good reason.

SarDragon

It's called "economy of scale". They could probably sell them, but the sales numbers would be very low for each size, and maintaining inventory would be expensive, causing an increase the price to maintain a profitable level. With a higher price, sales numbers would likely decrease, generating a downward spiral.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: SarDragon on October 28, 2015, 10:40:52 PM
It's called "economy of scale". They could probably sell them, but the sales numbers would be very low for each size, and maintaining inventory would be expensive, causing an increase the price to maintain a profitable level. With a higher price, sales numbers would likely decrease, generating a downward spiral.

So? I'd love a $7,000 coat...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SMWOG

Quote from: Pylon on October 29, 2015, 01:37:43 PM
You can order them from AAFES by calling.

If you call they are like"CAP is not eligible for purchasing" Send them the supporting instruction stating otherwise and they still will not allow you to place a phone order.

Shuman 14

I did a quick Google search and found this supplier: http://www.uniforms-4u.com/c-air-force-uniforms-1077.aspx

I cannot speak to quality and their prices seem a little high...

That being said it as an alternative supplier for all basic USAF/CAP uniform components.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: shuman14 on October 29, 2015, 03:02:40 PM
I did a quick Google search and found this supplier: http://www.uniforms-4u.com/c-air-force-uniforms-1077.aspx

I cannot speak to quality and their prices seem a little high...

That being said it as an alternative supplier for all basic USAF/CAP uniform components.

Uniforms-4u.com is a good source for uniforms but are rather pricey. All USAF uniform items must pass certification before being sold.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Dad2-4

Quote from: SMWOG on October 29, 2015, 02:18:47 PM

If you call they are like"CAP is not eligible for purchasing" Send them the supporting instruction stating otherwise and they still will not allow you to place a phone order.
Can one place an order by mail or e-mail?

kwe1009

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 26, 2015, 11:10:33 PM

Can one place an order by mail or e-mail?

Unfortunately I don't think so.

Dad2-4

So CAP members can or cannot purchase from AAFES other than in person?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Pylon on October 29, 2015, 01:37:43 PM
You can order them from AAFES by calling.

You probably didn't talk to the right person. Anyway, I would try again. If you can't get the help you need, ask for a manager or get someone else in your chain of command to call for you. I know it can be done.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 27, 2015, 12:53:31 PM

They can purchase uniforms from AAFES MCSS if they can get on base. That depends on the base and security level. My members are able to get on base most of the time with their CAPID, but that's not always the case. If you're visiting a base outside of your area, I would call the local squadron (if there is one) to find out first.

MSG Mac

To order from AAFEES, you must be enrolled in DEERS.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 27, 2015, 12:53:31 PM

This was discussed in one of the sessions at the recent National Conference and my impression is that this problem is not very high on NHQ's priority list so not much is being done to come up with a workable solution.  A huge roadblock is that AAFES only uses DEERS to verify if a person is authorized to make purchases.  CAP will never be added to DEERS so pressure would need to be put on AAFES to accept an alternate list for CAP.  There probably isn't enough money in it for AFFES to create new processes just for CAP either.

Full time cadet

They would just direct me to NHQ's phone number.

lordmonar

You can call your congressmen.

There is a push to change the law to extend AAFES to any veteran.   If we can get congress to add CAP members to that list....if the law is passed.....then we can be included in what ever system AAFES comes up with to handle veterans not in DEERS.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2015, 06:42:48 AM

There is a push to change the law to extend AAFES to any veteran.   If we can get congress to add CAP members to that list....if the law is passed.....then we can be included in what ever system AAFES comes up with to handle veterans not in DEERS.

So how would that help a CAP member?  Cadets aren't veterans. Many Senior Members aren't veterans either.
And veterans are in DEERS.

winterg

Quote from: PHall on December 02, 2015, 03:45:12 PM

So how would that help a CAP member?  Cadets aren't veterans. Many Senior Members aren't veterans either.
I thought only retired veterans were in DEERS.

SARDOC

Quote from: winterg on December 02, 2015, 03:57:57 PM

Anybody that is DoD benefit eligible.  Retired, reserve, Active, dependants, etc...

PHall

Quote from: winterg on December 02, 2015, 03:57:57 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 02, 2015, 03:45:12 PM

Nope, if you served, you're in there. You may be in the inactive section, but you're still there.

TheTravelingAirman

Quote from: PHall on December 02, 2015, 05:29:08 PM

Nope, if you served, you're in there. You may be in the inactive section, but you're still there.

True. When a vet passes away, we take the DD-214 and will still verify with DEERS that the deceased is eligible for military honors at funerals.

AirAux

What are the requirements to be eligible for military honors at funerals??

LSThiker

THRAWN

Thanks for that info...but to get back to the original thread, I stumbled across this:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=44.0;all

I have to ask...why is this still an issue a DECADE later? At some point hearing "Yeah, we know and are working on it" from National just doesn't cut it anymore.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ned

Quote from: PHall on December 02, 2015, 05:29:08 PM

Phil,

I don't think so.  After all, DEERS only went on-line in the early 80's, and wasn't integrated with RAPIDS until recently.  They did not go back and load in everyone who has ever served, unless those individuals are eligible for benefits.  Which most/many vets are not.

But the new push to include all veterans may indeed result in some changes to the AAFES / NEX system that might be make it worthwhile for CAP to gently enquire about on-line access.

We have to wait and see what sort of system changes, if any, are made to the eligibility and fulfillment systems for the website.

TheTravelingAirman

So I may be a bad kid but I think that asking folks who do have access to help out should be a good option. Unless AAFES prohibits me from buying your coat then shipping it, I don't have an issue so long as I get reimbursed. And maybe a wing patch. I may come across as a bit argumentative, but I do believe in taking care of each other.

Does it get this issue fixed? No. But work arounds are a thing.

PHall

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on December 03, 2015, 03:43:10 AM
So I may be a bad kid but I think that asking folks who do have access to help out should be a good option. Unless AAFES prohibits me from buying your coat then shipping it, I don't have an issue so long as I get reimbursed. And maybe a wing patch. I may come across as a bit argumentative, but I do believe in taking care of each other.

Does it get this issue fixed? No. But work arounds are a thing.

Actually, I think this is against AAFES rules.

SarDragon

In the strict sense, yes, but in this instance, since CAP members are authorized to purchase uniforms, I would go ahead and do the buying for someone else, if I was in a position to do so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

This is crazy. I live between 2 bases that AAFES MCS. Want stuff? Send me a list, money to cover the items and shipping and I will go get it. PM me.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheTravelingAirman

I am agreeing with Thrawn. If it's in stock, I'll buy it on the spot, if not then I'll order it. When it comes in, box it, label it, ship it, and hopefully receive reimbursement from the aided party. Let us know, ultimately we are here for each other.

Al Sayre

It would probably help if we had a current price list.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

TheTravelingAirman

Men's Enlisted - $112.65, 32XS - 50XL
Men's Officers - $179.95, sizes messed up on phone view. May update or check upon request.

Women's Enlisted - 106.62, 2-16
No officer coat listed online.

EDIT: I arrive my next duty station Monday. Give me a few days to orient myself.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: THRAWN on December 03, 2015, 11:42:08 AM
This is crazy. I live between 2 bases that AAFES MCS. Want stuff? Send me a list, money to cover the items and shipping and I will go get it. PM me.

I want a hamburger...no, a cheeseburger. I want a hotdog. I want a milkshake. I want potato chips.

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on December 03, 2015, 12:08:10 PM
I am agreeing with Thrawn. If it's in stock, I'll buy it on the spot, if not then I'll order it. When it comes in, box it, label it, ship it, and hopefully receive reimbursement from the aided party. Let us know, ultimately we are here for each other.

I would be much appreciative if I can get some items, particularly a lightweight jacket.

kwe1009

Actually it is easier than that.  You place the order and have it shipped to the aided party.  Shipping is free on all uniform items as well so you just pay the cost of the item.  I do that quite a bit. 

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 03, 2015, 12:30:10 PM
You can see the current prices at https://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/military/air-force-uniforms/_/N-104764 .  You don't need a log in to see the prices.

THRAWN

Prices are on the website. Google "air force uniforms aafes"...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheTravelingAirman

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 03, 2015, 02:56:22 PM

Actually it is easier than that.  You place the order and have it shipped to the aided party.  Shipping is free on all uniform items as well so you just pay the cost of the item.  I do that quite a bit. 

You can see the current prices at https://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/military/air-force-uniforms/_/N-104764 .  You don't need a log in to see the prices.

Understood. Just figured there could be minimal complaint from AAFES if I was doing the shipping myself.

kwe1009

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on December 03, 2015, 04:30:55 PM

Understood. Just figured there could be minimal complaint from AAFES if I was doing the shipping myself.

They don't care about anything really.  I spent nearly an hour on the phone with them yesterday regarding an issue I had with a uniform item I purchased.  The first person I talked to said for me to find someone in my unit to help me with my issue.  That did sit well so I talked to a manager who was even less helpful.  Even though AAFES is a for-profit organization I felt like I was talking to the VA.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 03, 2015, 08:44:02 PM
Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on December 03, 2015, 04:30:55 PM

They don't care about anything really.  I spent nearly an hour on the phone with them yesterday regarding an issue I had with a uniform item I purchased.  The first person I talked to said for me to find someone in my unit to help me with my issue.  That did sit well so I talked to a manager who was even less helpful.  Even though AAFES is a for-profit organization I felt like I was talking to the VA.

I agree. They dodge around the issue because they don't have an answer, and rather than just saying "I don't know, but I'll find out," they try to send you on a journey.

It felt like I was talking to TRICARE.
"I can't find your name in the system."
"How am I not in the system. You guys called me."
"You entered the wrong information."
"Ma'am, I didn't enter anything. Some desk clerk typed in my information. I'm telling you right now what my issue is."
"Okay, well if you can get that fixed first..."
*hangs up*

wacapgh

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 03, 2015, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on December 03, 2015, 11:42:08 AM

I want a hamburger...no, a cheeseburger. I want a hotdog. I want a milkshake. I want potato chips.

I would be much appreciative if I can get some items, particularly a lightweight jacket.

"You'll get nothing, and like it!"