Main Menu

Our new "moniker"

Started by RiverAux, April 10, 2007, 01:08:32 AM

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 11, 2007, 07:03:02 AMEver read any post of mine where I say  "The time is come for us..."  instead of the more popular "The time has come for us..."  Some have PMed me about its grammar.  But I say it because what IS happening trumps what HAS happened. 
Just to nit pick, you got that backward on the grammer... It would be mod'ing the word time. so time HAS already arrived -or- time IS in the process of arriving.

capchiro

Just to add my two cents worth.  Number one, Civil Air Patrol will still be called "Civil Air Patrol" when spoken of.  Civil Air Patrol is our corporate name and just as the Air Force is called the "Air Force" when spoken of and not the "U.S. Air Force", we will continue to be called the "Civil Air Patrol" and not the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."  Also we will still be referred to as "CAP" and not "USCAP" when spoken of.  Our letter heads and legal documents will still be "Civil Air Patrol" until there is a legal change of name of the corporation.  Number two, and a different point, but one brought up in this topic, the subject of "trolls".  On the various boards I have been on, the terminology of "trolls" has been used to label posters that usually hide behind a nickname to remain anonymous and take "shots" or make derogatory comments that do not add to the topic at hand.  It is my understanding that this forum is open to the public and therefore there is no requirement that anyone has to be a CAP member to participate.  Many times we can learn from those outside our own group and we can certainly carry on courteous discussions with them.  Obviously they are interested in CAP or they wouldn't waste their time being here.  We need to encourage them to join or rejoin, but not by telling them they are not welcome.  Now, if someone is just "sniping" or causing trouble, that is a different story, but let's hear what they have to say and go from there.  Some people are misinformed about CAP (and some of those people are us) but that doesn't mean we aren't all interested in becoming better informed and learning from and sharing with others.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on May 11, 2007, 08:12:26 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on May 11, 2007, 07:03:02 AMEver read any post of mine where I say  "The time is come for us..."  instead of the more popular "The time has come for us..."  Some have PMed me about its grammar.  But I say it because what IS happening trumps what HAS happened. 
Just to nit pick, you got that backward on the grammer... It would be mod'ing the word time. so time HAS already arrived -or- time IS in the process of arriving.

Dennis you have missed the point in the semantics.  The idea is that focusing on past accomplishments and not praticipating in the present is hollow at best.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Just remember that in what may have been the largest response to any poll on CAPTalk, 75% of respondents dissaproved of the name change.  Now, I doubt that percentage would be as high if you polled entire CAP membership, but it indicates to me that there is a very good chance that a majority of members disapprove as well. 

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 11, 2007, 03:41:02 PM
Dennis you have missed the point in the semantics.  The idea is that focusing on past accomplishments and not praticipating in the present is hollow at best.
I agree with that statement. However, the words you used gave the option of happening right now (has) or will happen at some point later (is). Not that it matters, but you made a point of it.