Main Menu

Our new "moniker"

Started by RiverAux, April 10, 2007, 01:08:32 AM

RiverAux

In the March/April 2007 version of the CAP Volunteer MG Pineda has this in his "From the national commander column":
QuoteTo emphasize CAP's unity and volunteer spirit, the National Board and I have adopted "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" as our organization's moniker.  I encourage all members to embrace this new name, which better embodies a concept that's been with CAP from the beginning.  Indeed CAP is a U.S. organization, steeped in a glorious heritage of patriotism through public service.  It is this spirit of neighbor helping neighbor -- private citizens taking action and making sacrifices to benefit their homeland that is the heart of true patriotism and the heart of the Civil Air Patrol

So, as I watched the NB meeting all I saw was them vote to change the BDU (and lets be charitable and assume they also meant the BBDU) name tapes to "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."  Nothing else was changed.  I would bet good money that no one there actually thought they were voting to change the entire name of the organization (as discussed in the other thread)

So, what does he mean by our new "moniker" that we are "encouraged" to use?  Note that we aren't ordered to use it (except apparently in regards to the nametapes).  Looking through the magazine (not closely) I failed to spot it being used elsewhere.  Is it just supposed to be another sort of nickname that we occassionally use? 

Well, he at least laid out an explanation for it even if the implementation is a bit unclear. 

Major_Chuck

It is that whole effort to set us apart from the Candian Civil Air Patrol, the Honduran Civil Air Patrol, the Fiji Civil Air Patrol, the Iraqi Civil Air Patrol, and the Guatamalan Civil Air Patrol (even though we have adopted their uniform).
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on April 10, 2007, 01:08:32 AM(and lets be charitable and assume they also meant the BBDU) name tapes to "U.S. Civil Air Patrol." 

This KB article:  http://tinyurl.com/2e6f2d  does mention BBDU's in several spots, though doesn't actually say "will wear on the BBDU". 

I am sewing mine on tonight.  I have three new blouses, so what the heck, 2010 will be here before you know it!

"That Others May Zoom"

LTC_Gadget

Geez, I got the "message" years ago regarding our heritage, our role, our history when I used to see "USAF Auxiliary" on everything..  Why does everyone now seem to need yet another, different "moniker" to get the same darn message??

The only thing I hate worse than being lied to is having my intelligence insulted..

Idle musing; rhetorical question...  ;)

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Smokey

How silly for all of you not  to realize that TP is getting us ready for overseas deployment.  How else would they know that we are the US Civil Air Patrol and not the Iraqi Civil Air Patrol.

With the surge on....every able body is needed , so in preparation the name change was required. 

C'mon guys....think how much fun it's going to be looking for that elt in Tikrit.  Something you can tell the grandkids about.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

DNall

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 10, 2007, 05:20:44 AM
Why does everyone now seem to need yet another, different "moniker" to get the same darn message??
IS it the same message? I thin kthat's the question of the year on a lot of this stuff.

QuoteThe only thing I hate worse than being lied to is having my intelligence insulted..
You ain't kiddin. Put the two together & do it smug like we don't notice & you're above the law... that's just insult to injury. I'm not calling for the revolution or anything that stupid or out of character, but some positive leadership would sure be nice.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Smokey on April 10, 2007, 07:22:37 AM
How silly for all of you not  to realize that TP is getting us ready for overseas deployment.  How else would they know that we are the US Civil Air Patrol and not the Iraqi Civil Air Patrol.

With the surge on....every able body is needed , so in preparation the name change was required. 

C'mon guys....think how much fun it's going to be looking for that elt in Tikrit.  Something you can tell the grandkids about.

I know that you are totally joking... but you have to wonder..... I guess the 172's would be good for Foward Observers.   ;D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

Oh good, another change to the uniform.

I don't disagree with "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" on principle, I just don't know why we're changing this now.

LtCol White

Desert BDU's to be authorized soon for personnel deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan.
::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JC004

Quote from: justin_bailey on April 10, 2007, 01:14:15 PM
Oh good, another change to the uniform.

I don't disagree with "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" on principle, I just don't know why we're changing this now.

Same here.

RiverAux

By the way, the below is the draft of the March 2007 National Board Minutes on this subject.  Note that this clearly only applies to BDU and Field Jackets and was not approval for any sort of actual new name for the organization. 

Quote1. ITEM: Change BDU and Field Jacket Tape
Maj Gen Pineda noted that there were other "CAPs" around the world and suggested a change to put "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" on name strips for BDUS to identify America's Civil Air Patrol.
LT COL SIROIS/NJ PROXY MOVED AND COL CARR/GLR SECONDED that the
National Board votes to adopt a change to the ultramarine CAP tape to include
"U.S." to then read "U.S. Civil Air Patrol." This will become the only available
tape going forward and will be mandatory as of 1 March 2010.

sardak

Quote from: RiverAux on April 13, 2007, 03:19:44 AM
..to identify America's Civil Air Patrol.

This was clearly not thought out.  If it had been, there would have been no need to remove the "Civil Air Patrol" tape.  Remove everyone's nametape and replace it with "America's" or "American".  Then it would read "America(n) Civil Air Patrol" across the front of the uniform.  Unity would be achieved because there would be no more individuals.

Mike

JC004

Quote from: sardak on April 13, 2007, 03:36:20 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 13, 2007, 03:19:44 AM
..to identify America's Civil Air Patrol.

This was clearly not thought out.  If it had been, there would have been no need to remove the "Civil Air Patrol" tape.  Remove everyone's nametape and replace it with "America's" or "American".  Then it would read "America(n) Civil Air Patrol" across the front of the uniform.  Unity would be achieved because there would be no more individuals.

Mike

LOL!   :D

mikeylikey

http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=3030

How ridiculous it sounds when you read it over and over again!  U.S CAP, U.S CAP, U.S. CAP, U.S. CAP........etc!
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

bites tongue about first picture with TP... :P
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eagle400

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 07, 2007, 12:51:54 AM
http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=3030

How ridiculous it sounds when you read it over and over again!  U.S CAP, U.S CAP, U.S. CAP, U.S. CAP........etc!

I agree, sir.  So does this now mean that CAP-USAF has to change its name to USCAP-USAF?

Ridiculous. 

ColonelJack

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 07, 2007, 01:11:54 PM
bites tongue about first picture with TP... :P

Well, that is why Corporate Service Dress was created ...

I happen to know Col. Stone (featured in the link) and think he is one of the most outstanding individuals I've ever met.  If anyone deserved a DSM and full colonel's rank, it's Ben Stone.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

wingnut

If You Watched the NEC meeting the powerpoints all said U.S. CAP.

SAR-EMT1

I do not agree with this "moniker " at all. NHQ is already treating it like a new name. If they want anything, threy should go back to USAF -Aux.
I hope AETC nips this in the bud quick.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 08, 2007, 07:01:23 AM
I hope AETC nips this in the bud quick.

Methinks that train has already left the station.  Grit your teeth and open your checkbook....again..

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.