Main Menu

Mistaken for military?

Started by WK95, May 11, 2014, 12:10:04 AM

PHall

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on May 12, 2014, 11:44:33 PM
QuoteAt an airshow last summer, people thanked me for my service. I explained what we actually were, and used that as a recruiting opportunity. Managed to recruit at least five people that day.

First impressions, and well-worded, concise responses can lead to recruitment. Perfect. Love it.  8)

QuoteI have been on Peterson Air Force base; I had a lot of Air Force personnel ask me if I was from Canada.  The CAP on the epaulets was confusing people.

Canada? Heh.. That's awesome.  ;D

antdetroitwallyball, there are a fair number of RCAF members at Peterson AFB. It's where NORAD is Headquartered.

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on May 11, 2014, 01:41:39 AM
I was once mistaken for store security...in the short-sleeved AF blue uniform!

In my experience, "light blue shirt" + "navy blue pants" is the generic everyman's work uniform.

A couple of years before, before we went to office attire, my work outfit was exactly that: a blue button-down oxford-style shirt with navy-blue slacks with an ID badge worn on a lanyard around my neck.  And what I found out was that I could pretty much go anywhere I wanted.  People would look up from their tasks, glance at me, and continue doing whatever they were doing.  It really was a true version of "urban camo".  Not once was I challenged.

In fact, I got used to the fact that when I was out and about running errands, other people would usually assume I worked at whatever place I happened to be at the time, and would approach me with questions or requests.

Quote from: 4fhoward on May 12, 2014, 11:34:54 PM
I have been on Peterson Air Force base; I had a lot of Air Force personnel ask me if I was from Canada.  The CAP on the epaulets was confusing people.

What are you talking aboot, hoser?

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^^

Of course, I live in a state where there are NO active-duty military installations, except for two Coast Guard Air Stations and a couple of small-boat stations.

Navy - none.
Army - National Guard training centre.
Air Force - no active AFB's; two ANGB's, one which will probably not survive the next BRAC.
Marines - one small personnel centre.

Perhaps that influences my perspective.  If I lived in Texas Wing, where there seemingly are Air Force installations anywhere you look (especially around San Antonio), maybe I would have a different perspective.

And, being a former CG AUXIE, I know from talking to CG officers that their Auxiliary is appreciated and needed.  In recent years, anyway, the only indication I have personally had is the account I have related about a State Director who visited a former unit of mine and basically told us that the only reason we (seniors) were needed was to "shepherd the cadets through to get their Mitchell so they can get E-3 when they graduate from AF BMT."

I got mistaken in another way when I was in the Aux.  I was doing recruiting duty at an airshow wearing the insignia of a Flotilla Staff Officer (like Ensign but silver).  The Navy Reserves had a recruiting booth set up not far from us, overseen by a Lieutenant Commander.  She came over and talked to me and said "I knew the CG wore insignia similar to ours but didn't know how...I guess it's the silver braid, huh?"  I had to gently correct her that my silver braid was the mark of an Auxiliarist and that if I had been actual active or reserve CG, my shoulder boards would have been very similar to hers, slightly different shade of blue, with CG shield (I don't remember what mark hers had, but I don't think it was a line officer's star).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 13, 2014, 04:29:15 AM
Are these Canadian?

I think that's the new proposed grade insignia for CAP Flight Officers.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 13, 2014, 04:29:15 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 13, 2014, 04:19:54 AM
^^^

Are these Canadian?

Yes.  L-R, top row: nationality shoulder titles (worn by virtually all Commonwealth militaries) for officers and other ranks.

Second row: Officer Cadet, 2nd Lieutenant (pronounced leff-tenant), Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel.

Third row: Colonel, Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, General.

Fourth row: Another set of General ranks.

The current Canadian Chief of the Defence Staff (like our Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) is an RCAF General:

General Thomas J. Lawson, CMM, CD, RCAF
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on May 13, 2014, 04:42:10 AM

Why is he wearing his cover indoors?

The CyBorg is destroyed

They have different (British-derived) customs and courtesies.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on May 13, 2014, 04:50:28 AM
They have different (British-derived) customs and courtesies.

That's unacceptable.

JeffDG

^^^
I came close to wearing those...migraine headaches kept me out of ROTP.

Private Investigator

Quote from: 4fhoward on May 12, 2014, 11:34:54 PM
Back to the topic.

I have been on Peterson Air Force base; I had a lot of Air Force personnel ask me if I was from Canada.  The CAP on the epaulets was confusing people.

Thank you. Nobody believes me when I tell them that. I have been asked if I was Canadien too, especially in the grey and white aviator shirt combo even on Nellis AFB.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panache on May 13, 2014, 04:49:57 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 13, 2014, 04:42:10 AM

Why is he wearing his cover indoors?

Because he is a General? D'oh!   8)

Storm Chaser

Not just a General; a "Four-Leaf" General. ;)

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 13, 2014, 04:59:29 PM
Not just a General; a "Four-Leaf" General. ;)
Only one of those at any time.

The component commanders (Air, Land and Navy) are LtGens, only the Chief of the Defense Staff is a full-general.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on May 13, 2014, 12:18:56 PM
^^^
I came close to wearing those...migraine headaches kept me out of ROTP.

I feel for you...literally.  I get migraines too.

Quote from: JeffDG on May 13, 2014, 05:08:49 PM
The component commanders (Air, Land and Navy) are LtGens, only the Chief of the Defense Staff is a full-general.

Prince Charles wears "three leaf" rank, but I have only seen him in Army and Naval uniform...not Air.

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 13, 2014, 04:32:27 PM
Thank you. Nobody believes me when I tell them that. I have been asked if I was Canadien too, especially in the grey and white aviator shirt combo even on Nellis AFB.  8)

That's odd.  The three Canadian Services do not wear grey and white, except for naval personnel wearing white shirts and navy-blue (almost black) trousers.

It would be more likely to be mistaken for a German Bundesheer troop.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on May 13, 2014, 06:50:23 PM
Prince Charles wears "three leaf" rank, but I have only seen him in Army and Naval uniform...not Air.

Prince Charles must be cavalry, I see he is with his horse  ;)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: CyBorg on May 12, 2014, 08:39:17 PM

This seal would have to be changed.

That's an ugly, out-of-proportion seal.

The old CAP Bookstore/CAPMart/maybe Vanguard had the nice plastic CAP seal plaques you still see floating around. I have two of them — old seal and new seal — thanks to eBay, but whither they goest from retail sale?

Can't find a photo via Google, so I guess I'll hafta add photos later....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Luis R. Ramos

It may look out of proportion because the photo may have been taken at an angle.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 15, 2014, 04:54:32 PM

No, that's his cow.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

Quote from: SarDragon on May 16, 2014, 03:10:21 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on May 15, 2014, 04:54:32 PM

No, that's his cow.

Neigh-sayer!