Main Menu

Challenge coins

Started by SarDragon, April 17, 2013, 06:30:22 AM

SarDragon

I've been tasked to come up with a list of companies who make these coins, preferably quality ones. I know some of y'all have had them made. What say ye?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Incirlik Coin.

http://www.incirlikcoin.com/home.php

I have probably run 1500 coins across about 5 designs through them.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Pylon

CoinForce made beautiful coins for my TLC.  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2877.msg273762#msg273762

The bonus is they were willing to go through their inventory of dies and give me options of all the generic CAP seals and emblem dies they already had made and in-stock for my coin size.  That cut my die fees in half, by putting the generic CAP seal on the reverse of the coin.

I had some customer service issues with them on the initial order, but they have had much better service during the two re-orders for this coin.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

scooter

I am going to plead ignorance here! Will someone please explain the exact use of challenge coins for those if us who parent really sure. Thanks.

Pylon

Quote from: scooter on April 17, 2013, 04:36:07 PM
I am going to plead ignorance here! Will someone please explain the exact use of challenge coins for those if us who parent really sure. Thanks.

Unit morale. Souvenirs.  That's all.  There is no official purpose, they are not required, they do not have have a functional reason to exist today, members do not need to buy any coins if they don't want to do so.  People like them, that's all.  It's a borrowed military tradition.  Googling "Challenge Coin" will reveal a number of varied stories about how challenge coins came to be, but in any case, in modern day they are merely souvenirs.

abdsp51

That would depend on which iteration you want to know about.  The two most popular ones date back to WWI and Vietnam, however the WWI iteration is the one that is more commonly accepted.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: Pylon on April 17, 2013, 04:50:22 PM

Unit morale. Souvenirs.  That's all.  There is no official purpose, they are not required, they do not have have a functional reason to exist today, members do not need to buy any coins if they don't want to do so.  People like them, that's all.  It's a borrowed military tradition.  Googling "Challenge Coin" will reveal a number of varied stories about how challenge coins came to be, but in any case, in modern day they are merely souvenirs.

That or a way to say 'thattaboy' or 'thank you' in a solid way when a ribbon isn't quite appropriate or you're looking for something a little more personal. (For commander's coins and the like.)

Thrashed

It's more of a drinking game today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

"The challenge, which can be made at any time, begins with the challenger drawing his/her coin, and slapping or placing the coin on the table or bar. In noisy environments, continuously rapping the challenge coin on a surface may initiate the challenge. (Accidentally dropping a challenge coin is considered to be a deliberate challenge to all present.) Everyone being challenged must immediately produce the coin for their organization and anyone failing to do so must buy a round of drinks for the challenger and everyone else who has their challenge coin. However, should everyone challenged be able to produce their coin, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for the group."

Save the triangle thingy

LGM30GMCC

The rules as describe vary from unit to unit. There are still places (probably more in the flying side) of the USAF that have mandatory 'Landing Fees.' However, technically that is very much against the rules of the USAF. (You cannot be forced to pay $X, sometimes up into the hundreds of dollars to work somewhere. THe most is you just can't be allowed to partake in any of the refreshments or whatever. If a commander tries to force the issue they are just about begging for a sustained IG complaint.)

Generally the rule that I've seen is you have to have 'A challenge coin.' With the proliferation of collector's coins this has become somewhat less...prevalent and because most everyone has one. Unless you're in a base club (which are largely dying for a number of reasons) and actively let it be known you don't have one, people aren't going to be throwing down the challenges because it's generally assumed everyone has some coin on them. Additionally, you can't 'force' someone to buy drinks and more and more people are rejecting those types of games in the 'club mentality.'

I suspect some of it is that there is as much or more work to do, fewer people to do it and just not as much time for random goofing off. When people are done with work at their unit they largely want to just go home. Those that live on base have a family they likely want to see/spend time with and not think about work. Those without families on base likely want to be off base where they can be around other people without families. These types of pressures are definitely taking away some of the rowdier traditions.

SarDragon

OK, folks, I'm looking for sources, not rules. I'm sure readers appreciate the education, but this isn't helping me.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thrashed

Just thought you might be trying to involve the cadets in a drinking game.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

ol'fido

Quote from: Thrashed on April 18, 2013, 01:07:25 AM
I have some Kool-ade for you if you want to play that game. >:D Sorry, Dave, the only sources I know have already been mentioned.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MSG Mac

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on April 17, 2013, 04:55:43 PM

That or a way to say 'thattaboy' or 'thank you' in a solid way when a ribbon isn't quite appropriate or you're looking for something a little more personal. (For commander's coins and the like.)

Or don't have the imitative to fill out a form120 to make an official recognition of ones efforts. Pretty expensive tokens too.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

When I was on active duty, USMC 1976-1980 I do not recall anyone ever getting a 'challenge coin'. One year for the Marine Corps Ball everyone got a brass belt buckle. In the reserves one year after summer camp the officers presented the most deserving enlisted man a 'presentation Ka-Bar". After "Desert Storm" I started seeing them.

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 18, 2013, 03:32:34 PM

Or don't have the imitative to fill out a form120 to make an official recognition of ones efforts. Pretty expensive tokens too.

$3.50 is expensive?

Coins should never be considered as a replacement for decorations.  They do not serve the same purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2013, 07:55:23 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on April 18, 2013, 03:32:34 PM

[/q

$3.50 is expensive?

Coins should never be considered as a replacement for decorations.  They do not serve the same purpose.

when you have to buy an order of 50-100, yes
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Incirlik sells them for $190 shipped for 50 in minimums of 50.  No setup or additional shipping, with a 25 day turn around once the design is final.

I guess expensive is in the eye of the beholder, but I know a fair number of people for whom a coin in a firm handshake with a knowing look
is worth more then most other bling.  I've got quite a few, with at least 1/2 representing significant efforts or activities, and the rest being
presented "in kind" from other commanders, staff, and military people I've work with (plus a few civilian ones).

As I've said before, once the kids and wife are safe, I'm going back into the flames for the flags and the coins.

"That Others May Zoom"

Has been

Officialy Vanguard is our supplier of coins. Officialy only they can use CAP symbols.

But I know of someone who was handing out coins from Klitzner.com before Vanguard could get back to them with artwork. Klitzner.com was also slightly cheeper. Klitzner's work was very good and they billed the person. They are out of RI I think.

Eclipse

Quote from: Has been on April 19, 2013, 02:30:37 PM
Officialy Vanguard is our supplier of coins. Officialy only they can use CAP symbols.

Incorrect.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

As far as I understand, Vanguard is our official supplier of distinctive CAP uniforms and uniform items. CAPR 900-2, which covers the use of CAP seal, emblem, logo, etc., specifies that the Civil Air Patrol name can be used in items such as coins, mugs, hats, etc. The 'new' CAP logo can also be used for these types of items. In addition, CAPR 900-2 states the following:

While the CAP Logo is the preferred option for use on items 3f(1-6) above [newsletters, web pages, invitations, business cards, coins, etc.], the command emblem or seal may be used if it would be more appropriate for the purpose and/or expected audience.

The way I interpret this is that if you're designing a squadron coin for all your members or for promotional reasons, it is preferred that you use the CAP logo. On the other hand, if you're a commander and will give these coins as special recognition (as is done in the Air Force), you could choose to use the CAP emblem or seal if it is more appropriate for the intended audience.

Storm Chaser

CAPR 900-2 also states the following:
QuoteThe Civil Air Patrol name, seal, logo and/or command emblem will not be used for personal gain. Additionally, the name, seal, logo and/or command emblem will not be used for any commercial purpose, except under licensing agreement as approved by the Chief Operating Officer after review by General Counsel. Approval from National Headquarters Public Affairs must be obtained to use the seal, logo and/or command emblem in advertisements and for any purpose other than those listed below. [emphasis mine]

A company cannot manufacture or sell articles using CAP name and insignias for commercial purposes without a license agreement from CAP, authorized by NHQ/CO. Vanguard has such license agreement. There is no prohibition, however, for members preventing them from ordering specific items from other vendors for use in CAP and for benefit of CAP. A good example of this would be a squadron ordering plaques for an award with CAP name and seal from a local vendor. There's nothing in this regulation prohibiting such practice.

Walkman

True to a point.

I understand the reg to mean the CAP, Inc, is asserting their legal rights to control the reproduction of their brand assets (name, logo, emblem, etc). However, the way I understand it is that if one designs a coin/patch/shirt that doesn't include those copyrighted elements, then CAP, Inc. holds no control over its manufacture.

Case in point, there's a unit in my wing whose logo, patch & coin don't show show any of the CAP brand assets. They can get those made anywhere.

While it sucks that we're limited to one official vendor for these things, this practice is commonplace.

Eclipse

It's further then that.  The indices and marks, etc., of CAP are authorized for appropriate, non-commercial use by members.

Storm Chaser has it correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

I wasn't around prior to VG getting the authorized vendor agreement. What was it like before that? Design something, send it up the chain for approval and then get it made where ever?

Pylon

Quote from: Walkman on April 19, 2013, 05:38:04 PM
I wasn't around prior to VG getting the authorized vendor agreement. What was it like before that? Design something, send it up the chain for approval and then get it made where ever?

No change to any regulation or any policy letter has been given to CAP units or membership that change anything for the general membership.  CAPR 900-series still authorizes units to have items made with CAP emblems and seals (in accordance with the regs) wherever.

SarDragon

OK, two things here -

I'm looking for sources, not a donnybrook over licensing. I know the rules as well as, or perhaps better than, anyone else on here. If you want to argue this, take it elsewhere. For those who have provided the requested info, thank you.

Just to clarify things regarding copyrights on logos, seals, etc., CAP doesn't have any. Their rights are specifically defined in Title 36 USC Chapter 403, Section 40306:

QuoteThe corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
OK, two things here -

I'm looking for sources, not a donnybrook over licensing. I know the rules as well as, or perhaps better than, anyone else on here. If you want to argue this, take it elsewhere. For those who have provided the requested info, thank you.

Just to clarify things regarding copyrights on logos, seals, etc., CAP doesn't have any. Their rights are specifically defined in Title 36 USC Chapter 403, Section 40306:

QuoteThe corporation has the exclusive right to use the name “Civil Air Patrol” and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.

I'd recommend these guys, a NY firm:

http://www.challengecoin.com/SFNT.htm

Just in case cost is an issue, something else you might want to consider is a dog tag. Years ago when I was with the Ohio Wing squadron that met at the Youngstown Air Reserve Base, the commander handed out a single dog tag with a commendation message along with athe traditional letter.

Years later, I was given a dog tag with AF Core Values as a different type of challenge coin. I found a local surplus store that could do them and have been handing them out individually to cadets and senior members when appropriate. The thing is, the dog tags seem to be a bigger hit because they're different than a challenge coin. Also, they can go on key chains or worn in normal fashion and are $4. for the pair with chains.

I hope this is helpful.

Walkman

Quote from: flyboy1 on April 24, 2013, 11:12:36 AM
...something else you might want to consider is a dog tag.

That's actually an extremely cool idea. Mind if I put that in my "back pocket" for use later?  ;)

Eclipse

Yeah, I like that, as well.  Bought in quantity the price could probably come down even lower.

It might also be cool to do one for an activity and one with the member's name, both as a keepsake and to wear going forward.
You can sometimes find those machines online pretty cheap.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2013, 03:18:38 PM

When I was in the National Guard, they sent me over to the state HQ during Annual Training to "get dogtags" for some folks.

The folks at the HQ didn't know who did them, but even the J1 shop waved at the room the machine was in and said "Well, the machine is there."  It was this big behemoth of a thing that reminded me of a linotype machine.

So I took 30 minutes, familiarized myself with the machine and made the dogtags for the guys from the unit who needed them. Then I made myself several sets. :)  #winning!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversationsâ„¢
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on April 24, 2013, 04:52:50 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2013, 03:18:38 PM

When I was in the National Guard, they sent me over to the state HQ during Annual Training to "get dogtags" for some folks.

The folks at the HQ didn't know who did them, but even the J1 shop waved at the room the machine was in and said "Well, the machine is there."  It was this big behemoth of a thing that reminded me of a linotype machine.

So I took 30 minutes, familiarized myself with the machine and made the dogtags for the guys from the unit who needed them. Then I made myself several sets. :)  #winning!

Dogtags, I had a few sets, fond memories indeed   8)

Grumpy

Quote from: Thrashed on April 18, 2013, 01:07:25 AM

Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on Dave alright.   ;)

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
OK, two things here -

QuoteThe corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.

EMAIL sent to you.   :)

wuzafuzz

As COWG DC I've been toying with the idea of a COWG Communicator's Coin...just because it would be fun. 

Vanguard might be the preferred vendor but there's no way I'm sending them MY money when they don't even post a sample photo of their product.
http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-coin-personalization-p-16597.html

I understand they are custom so one pic won't tell the entire story.  A hint of what's possible would be nice.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Pylon

Quote from: wuzafuzz on April 26, 2013, 11:58:22 AM
As COWG DC I've been toying with the idea of a COWG Communicator's Coin...just because it would be fun. 

Vanguard might be the preferred vendor but there's no way I'm sending them MY money when they don't even post a sample photo of their product.

I understand they are custom so one pic won't tell the entire story.  A hint of what's possible would be nice.

Just don't use Vanguard for custom coins.  The fact that they don't show any samples of anything they've produced aside (and yes, you're right, that's not really enticing from a customer standpoint)  I attempted to get a quote out of them for a CAP challenge coin project and after two emails with a detailed RFQ, I received no response.  I got responses from about 12 other vendors, usually within 1 or 2 business days.  So I selected one of the vendors who got back to me, sent them my artwork, and got my coin rolling.  About a month or so down the road, while my coin was already in production, Vanguard gets back to me.  Out of the blue, with no response to me for over a month, they send me a "purchase order" to order coins including preview artwork (not even of my coin, something with National Cadet Competition all over it) and telling me all I have to do is sign the paperwork to get my coins into production.  Uhhh... what?

They don't want to operate like a business, they won't get my business.  That coin, and many subsequent reorders have now all been handled through another vendor who generally understands the words "customer" and "service" when they're used in conjunction.

johnnyb47

That Vanguard item is really just for the engraving that can be done on these:
http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-coin-cap-appreciation-silver-p-15148.html
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

These are actually fairly nice, and a nice "quick" or low-production option.

Order a few and have your local Things Remembered engrave them as needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Pylon on April 26, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
Just don't use Vanguard for custom coins. 

They don't want to operate like a business, they won't get my business.  That coin, and many subsequent reorders have now all been handled through another vendor who generally understands the words "customer" and "service" when they're used in conjunction.

One of the Squadrons wanted to order patches from Vanguard. I was asked and I asked for how much. It was three times than what a local vendor charges.

The only way Vanguard survives is that people in CAP think they are the only option.

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 27, 2013, 07:10:37 PM

One of the Squadrons wanted to order patches from Vanguard. I was asked and I asked for how much. It was three times than what a local vendor charges.

The only way Vanguard survives is that people in CAP think they are the only option.

Not by a long shot. Vanguard's CAP income is chump change compared to their income from their RealMilitaryâ„¢ sales.

And if you want to bash Vanguard, find another thread.  >:(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

Quote from: johnnyb47 on April 26, 2013, 02:07:52 PM

That Vanguard item is really just for the engraving that can be done on these:
http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-coin-cap-appreciation-silver-p-15148.html
That clears things up a bit, thanks.  I can see those being useful in the way Eclipse described.  Keep some on hand and engrave locally for quick turnaround.  The completely custom coins sure are appealing though.  IMHO CAP coins would be less "fun" if they all look the same.

When i get back home from my wing conference I'll post a couple more coin vendors. The coins I have came in little baggies with the company name on them, neither of which have been posted here.  (Wing conference = those blessed couple of days where no one is emailing me  :angel:  )

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on April 28, 2013, 04:12:39 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on April 27, 2013, 07:10:37 PM

Not by a long shot. Vanguard's CAP income is chump change compared to their income from their RealMilitaryâ„¢ sales.

And if you want to bash Vanguard, find another thread.  >:(

Excuse me for having bad experiences with them. Also when I was "real military" I never did business with them then either. So YMMV   :)

Luis R. Ramos

Oh so now we have to post messages favorably only to a company being discussed? Who made you "Thread Police" to tell others what to post? If someone else has a bad experience with company X, that is great for others to know!

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:( 

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 28, 2013, 05:21:26 PM
Oh so now we have to post messages favorably only to a company being discussed? Who made you "Thread Police" to tell others what to post? If someone else has a bad experience with company X, that is great for others to know!

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:( 

Flyer
Viva la revolucion!

a2capt

Well, the "take it to another thread" is kinda implied here, though many threads to tend to melt. There are plenty of even semi-active threads about Big V Issues. The topic here was looking for coin sources. That's all that was being asked.

SarDragon

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 28, 2013, 05:21:26 PM

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( 

Flyer

It's my thread. I came on here asking for sources. There have been some excellent responses. The first couple of responses detailing Vanguard's quality and pricing were good. Continually bashing them serves no useful purpose on my thread. That's why I asked that you take it elsewhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

resqspc

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 18, 2013, 07:28:42 PM
When I was on active duty, USMC 1976-1980 I do not recall anyone ever getting a 'challenge coin'. One year for the Marine Corps Ball everyone got a brass belt buckle. In the reserves one year after summer camp the officers presented the most deserving enlisted man a 'presentation Ka-Bar". After "Desert Storm" I started seeing them.

Not surprised by this; prior to Desert Shield/Storm, it was primarily an Army practice that had been in and out over several decades. If the Special Forces guys didn't revive it solely among themselves during the Viet Nam War, they certainly made it widely known. Certainly, for the longest time, the *only* way to get one's hands on a coin (outside of the occasional coin in estate sales/militaria acutions/coin shops/pawn shops) was to get it as an unofficial 'attaboy' from your commander. Later on, at the BN/BDE level and below, they were awarded by the CO or the CSM/SGM of the unit. Some units, over time, designed coins that existed to be given to newbys once they had been there long enough to be considered part of the 'family'--in addition to the CO's coin. The practice appears to have spread during ODS...certainly, when I was on AD, I never had to explain the meaning to any Marine of sailor who served alongside Army units during the Gulf War.

Only in the Air Force (I'm an Army vet who works for the AF as a civil servant) do you encounter the bizarre phenomenon of an all-hands announcement like: "The new unit coins are in--see TSgt Wingwiper to get yours. Cost is $5.00 per coin." And any old schmoe with a fiver can buy the unit coin--which is how I built my collection of AF over the years.
Bob Toy
Lt Col, CAP
Rescue Specialist

PSYOP...because *physical* wounds heal.

PHall

Quote from: resqspc on April 28, 2013, 08:19:43 PMOnly in the Air Force (I'm an Army vet who works for the AF as a civil servant) do you encounter the bizarre phenomenon of an all-hands announcement like: "The new unit coins are in--see TSgt Wingwiper to get yours. Cost is $5.00 per coin." And any old schmoe with a fiver can buy the unit coin--which is how I built my collection over the years.

There's a difference between a "Unit Coin" that anybody can get and a "Commander's Coin" that you get when you make the boss look good.

resqspc

Quote from: SarDragon on April 17, 2013, 06:30:22 AM
I've been tasked to come up with a list of companies who make these coins, preferably quality ones. I know some of y'all have had them made. What say ye?

This might help you:

https://www.mypoints.com/emp/u/mysearch.vm?fctb.tb=1&ourmark=1&q=Challenge+Coin+Manufacturers&st=mypWeb
Bob Toy
Lt Col, CAP
Rescue Specialist

PSYOP...because *physical* wounds heal.

SarDragon

Quote from: resqspc on April 28, 2013, 08:47:17 PM

This might help you:

https://www.mypoints.com/emp/u/mysearch.vm?fctb.tb=1&ourmark=1&q=Challenge+Coin+Manufacturers&st=mypWeb

Thank you.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Your thread? How much money did you pay to post in it?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Peeka

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 29, 2013, 01:41:11 AM
Your thread? How much money did you pay to post in it?

Flyer
His 2 cents  ;D

edit: to clarify

wuzafuzz

Only one of my coins still has the little baggie with a brand name on it.  www.wemakecoins.com    They made the CAP-USAF Rocky Mountain Liaison Region coin I have.  It's a very nice coin.  I have no idea what their prices or service are like. 

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: Peeka on April 29, 2013, 01:50:13 AM
His 2 cents  ;D

So my 2 cents should be as important as his, and so are your 2 cents if you have a contrary view...  >:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Grumpy

Well, they're supposed to stop making cents pretty soon.  😆

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Grumpy on April 29, 2013, 02:46:42 AM
Well, they're supposed to stop making cents pretty soon.  😆
Pennys, now Ill just start giving 5 cents to everyone.

SarDragon

I started this thread to gain information. The general dissatisfaction with Vanguard has been expressed here and elsewhere. Pylon made a good general statement regarding Vanguard, and served as sufficient notice to anyone reading this thread that they were not a good choice.

Anything past that was just bashing, and counterproductive to the purpose of the thread. Hence, I asked that such bashing be taken elsewhere.

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 28, 2013, 05:03:34 PM
Excuse me for having bad experiences with them. Also when I was "real military" I never did business with them then either. So YMMV   :)

Vanguard provides a significant amount of the military insignia available in the exchanges and uniform shop, so I'm sure you did business indirectly.

For everyone who provided info, thank you. If there's someone else who has a supplier that hasn't already been posted, please PM me. I'm outta here.

Vanguard bashers, it's all yours!  :(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

whatevah

As an admin, I'm with SarDragon on this. This thread has nothing to do with patches or any other item besides coins.  Any future off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

a2capt

Some of the various coin foundries may also charge you less if you allow them to list yours for sale in their catalog, or pay ~$2 more to get them "exclusive".

flyboy53

Just curious what the design is like and if you chose a vendor?

Here's another one: www.nwtmint.com/

One thing I like about this company are their unusual challenge coins. There's a whole line of dog tag shaped ones that are actually bottle openers.

SarDragon

Squadron patch on one side, and not sure of the other side. I'm just collecting sources.

Thanks for the NWT link. They did the Diamond Anniversary coins for CAP a while back. Got one of those in my collection.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

Like to see the finished product and how successful you were with the vendor.

Here's a couple more:

NY Wing staff have used this one a number of times: www.allaboutchallengecoins.com/

And Col. Brooks Cima, Texas Wing Commander and my '09 NSC Seminar Advisor, once gave me a really cool Texas Emergency Services Academy coin from these guys:
www.wemakecoins.com/‎

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 01, 2013, 01:04:56 AM
Squadron patch on one side, and not sure of the other side. I'm just collecting sources.

Thanks for the NWT link. They did the Diamond Anniversary coins for CAP a while back. Got one of those in my collection.

Two issues - NWT was C&D'ed about 4 years ago (there's threads about it here), so they may be refusing CAP work either on
principle or by actual agreement.

Also, their setup charge is twice what the whole coin run would cost you from Incirlik would cost.
No question they do nice work, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

mmizner

I use milcoins.com. They have done a great job and the price is good.
-Mike

www.nvwgcadets.org