Main Menu

New E-Services

Started by lordmonar, April 05, 2012, 05:18:38 PM

lordmonar

It's up and looks different.....just logging on now to see what changes they made.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Looks mostly cosmetic to me so far.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Some files are still not available
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NCRblues

It looks all cosmetic to me. New colors and log in page, but I see very little difference in the functions at all.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Could someone please increase the timeout?  I have to re-log into he ting about 10 times a day.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Totally down right now.

Eclipse - Clearly you haven't shown enough dedication to CAP and that's what eServices is telling you. It expects you to be on it every 5 minutes all day! >:D

a2capt

Only 10?
QuoteUnexpected Error
An error has occured in this application. All information about this error has been logged and the support team has been notified of the error.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Return to eServices
I just hope this isn't another Web 2.0 gone extreme disaster. ...and that this Mr. Magoo sized font on the sidebars isn't going to become an epidemic.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 05, 2012, 06:44:53 PM
Totally down right now.

Eclipse - Clearly you haven't shown enough dedication to CAP and that's what eServices is telling you. It expects you to be on it every 5 minutes all day! >:D

Well...sometimes I have to flip over to this tab...

(I have the same error above, although likely unrelated, it's seems as Twitter is hosed right now as well, and Gmail has had a head cold the last couple of daysl...)

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 05, 2012, 06:58:24 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 05, 2012, 06:44:53 PM
Totally down right now.

Well...sometimes I have to flip over to this tab...

(I have the same error above, although likely unrelated, it's seems as Twitter is hosed right now as well, and Gmail has had a head cold the last couple of daysl...)

Website pandemic? >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 05, 2012, 07:05:41 PM

Probably not, but this is how these things take shape - little access issues here and there that start to compound.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 05, 2012, 07:05:41 PM

As long as CAP Talk survives, we will all be OK!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

We can just use the "Bragging Rights" thread to track qualifications!

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Speaking of change and new CAP computer systems...

Quote from: John DesmaraisCommanders, please share this with your subordinates.  We have copied your DOs, DOSes, DOVs, CDOs and DCs, but encourage further dissemination of this important information, and have also posted it in e-services and WMIRS.

The web servers located at the National Technology Center (NTC) are moving to CAP NHQ (Maxwell AFB, AL) on Wednesday, 11 April 2012.  This will be done in two stages. 

First, the online testing system will be taken down on Monday, 9 April, at 6:00 AM EDT.  The tests affected will be:

• Spaatz Testing
• Senior Specialty Track Exams
• Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members (Yeager) Exam
• Cadet Orientation Quiz (Glider)
• CAP Basic Instructor Course Exam
• CAPP 221 (A, B, & C) End of Course Exams
• CAPT 116 General Emergency Services (GES) Exam
• CAPT 117 ES Continuation Education Exam Parts 1 – 3
• FRO On-line Course Exam
• GA-8 Course Exams
• Maule Familiarization Course Exams
• NCPSC – Glider Exam
• Satellite Digital Imaging System Exam
• Skills Evaluator Training Exam
• SSF/CAP Tow Pilot Course
• Wing Runner Test

Second, the remaining NTC web systems (WMIRS, Communications, NESA Registration, etc.) will be taken down at 12:01 AM EDT, 11 April.  Once all the data is moved and the systems are tested, they will be put back online and links in eServices to the new locations will be updated.  The new web addresses (URL) will be:

https://missions.cap.af.mil/ will become https://missions.capnhq.gov

https://tests.cap.af.mil/ will become https://tests.capnhq.gov

All pages at https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ will move to https://missions.capnhq.gov/ except the Communications pages.  The Communications pages will be at https://comm.capnhq.gov/.

All systems should be online by noon EDT on Wednesday, 11 April 2012.  We will work with the AFRCC and 1st Air Force to be sure they have the current alert rosters for all wings and missions will continue during this time.  Questions should be directed to the National Operations Center at 888-211-1812 ext. 300 or opscenter@capnhq.gov.

v/r

John D.
JOHN W. DESMARAIS, Sr.
Deputy Director of Operations
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters

Spaceman3750

There goes the last remnants of .mil. How long until everything goes to ilovecap.biz?

Extremepredjudice

Annnnd CT went down with a server error... (HTTP 500 code)

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

a2capt

*.af.mil/ will become .. :( ..capcares.com!!  :P

Look at the one positive thing to some people.
No more self signed certificates ...

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: a2capt on April 05, 2012, 08:00:47 PM
*.af.mil/ will become .. :( ..capcares.com!!  :P

Look at the one positive thing to some people.
No more self signed certificates ...

Have you seen the "The US Navy, a global force for good" ads?

a2capt

No, actually. Other than what's on the web, inserted into news clips, and the military ads don't seem to be that popular in those realms.

Digging around eServices, if monitors required ink, the amount of huge text, bold fonts and dark colors would make it an expensive site to visit.

Whatever, if it makes them happy, and allows us to track stuff easier, like I see ES ratings in the achievements section now,  then great. As long as they don't go horridly crazy.

I'd like to see the Flash dependence die off, actually. But some zealot will claim "test security" is why it's got to be there. It's almost as bad as Active X dependence. Good thing site developers and IT departments are starting to realize that sucks. 

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on April 06, 2012, 12:28:02 AMWhatever, if it makes them happy, and allows us to track stuff easier, like I see ES ratings in the achievements section now,  then great. As long as they don't go horridly crazy.

Unless we're talking about two different things, they've been in there a long time, like years.

I haven't found anything different yet other than the sing-in page and the main menus, which just look like they are framed differently.

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

A cosmetic improvement, sure, but a good one and step in the right direction.

I hope that in 6 months they get some people together and discuss whether the presentation of the major links is working as well as someone intended.

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2012, 12:34:53 AMI haven't found anything different yet other than the sing-in page and the main menus, which just look like they are framed differently.
Poorly worded, what I was eluding to was what you mentioned that probably wasn't going to make the cut yet, with the SQTRs and participation. I failed miserably at completing the thought.

Eclipse

Roger - my living room is ankle deep with wax from the candles I have lit praying for that upgrade...

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

The mobile version is a nice feature.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

You're the second person to mention a mobile site. Where did you find that?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Seems they have it set up to detect mobile browsers. Make sure your browser identifies as a mobile browser.

Edit: Seems sorta dumb to switch half the site over to a more modern looking theme, and leave the other half...

Btw, capmembers now has a banner display when you are logged onto eservices.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 06, 2012, 05:56:01 AMSeems they have it set up to detect mobile browsers. Make sure your browser identifies as a mobile browser.
Yup. Automagic.

QuoteEdit: Seems sorta dumb to switch half the site over to a more modern looking theme, and leave the other half...
Patience my young padawan ... it's not done yet. 5 days of withdrawal was enough for most people, now that they have us hog tied to this thing..
QuoteBtw, capmembers now has a banner display when you are logged onto eservices.
... actually, it's to login/out from, too. They're doing the nice thing and bringing all this stuff together. I just wish that stupid hokey sorry excuse SiteViz CMS would go the hell away. Far away. Who got suckered into that garbage.

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2012, 12:34:53 AM
... other than the sing-in page ...

Can you access the page if you're a little pitchy? >:D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

EMT-83

Quote from: davedove on April 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM

That's the new voice-actuated login: an undocumented, but valuable, enhancement.

Extremepredjudice

QuoteBtw, capmembers now has a banner display when you are logged onto eservices.
... actually, it's to login/out from, too. They're doing the nice thing and bringing all this stuff together. I just wish that stupid hokey sorry excuse SiteViz CMS would go the hell away. Far away. Who got suckered into that garbage.
That is what i meant

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Larry Mangum

Some areas appear to still not be working after the upgrade however:

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.eServices.Web/Down_NoNav.aspx

That is the page that pops up when you attempt to access Member Services off the restricted menu.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RogueLeader

Quote from: davedove on April 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM

I can't carry a tune in a 5 gallon bucket.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Fubar

The move from .mil to .gov seems more than just cosmetic to me, the note references physically moving servers. It could be CAP had servers on the Air Force's network that they want to move in-house or perhaps the Air Force was hosting and managing WIMRS and the testing stuff - and now CAP is assuming those responsibilities. Anybody know the motivation behind the change?

usafcap1

i personally don't like it. I think it looked better and WAY more professional before.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Diff strokes for diff folks.

I mostly like it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 10, 2012, 04:43:39 AM
i personally don't like it. I think it looked better and WAY more professional before.
It looked like1995. Now it looks like 2010.

Quote from: SarDragon on April 10, 2012, 05:13:16 AM
Diff strokes for diff folks.

I mostly like it.

It is okay, overall

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Jordan

Quote from: arajca on April 05, 2012, 07:29:02 PM

Quote from: John DesmaraisCommanders, please share this with your subordinates.  We have copied your DOs, DOSes, DOVs, CDOs and DCs, but encourage further dissemination of this important information, and have also posted it in e-services and WMIRS.

The web servers located at the National Technology Center (NTC) are moving to CAP NHQ (Maxwell AFB, AL) on Wednesday, 11 April 2012.  This will be done in two stages. 

First, the online testing system will be taken down on Monday, 9 April, at 6:00 AM EDT.  The tests affected will be:

Online Testing?  How does that work during meetings?

I bet I logged onto EServices 20 times the entire time I was a member and now people need to access it using their phones.  It sounds like things have really changed.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Jordan on April 19, 2012, 04:49:07 AM
Quote from: arajca on April 05, 2012, 07:29:02 PM

I bet I logged onto EServices 20 times the entire time I was a member and now people need to access it using their phones.  It sounds like things have really changed.

When the internet was invented, it changed things.  It's probably here to stay.

E-Services has come a long way since 1998, and it keeps track of a bunch of things.  Assets are tracked, reports are submitted, personnel records are kept in there, etc.  The online testing is for things like ES qualifications, Cadet Promotions, etc.  The advantage of online testing is that it doesn't need to be at the meetings, so you can do it at home at your convenience.

As for the phones, it allows our members to be more mobile, approve things from remote locations, etc.  The idea of E-Services is a good thing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

cm42

Have any testing officers out there received the online testing notification email since this all went through (~April 1)?

bflynn

Quote from: Fubar on April 07, 2012, 02:54:15 AM
The move from .mil to .gov seems more than just cosmetic to me, the note references physically moving servers. It could be CAP had servers on the Air Force's network that they want to move in-house or perhaps the Air Force was hosting and managing WIMRS and the testing stuff - and now CAP is assuming those responsibilities. Anybody know the motivation behind the change?

A pure guess, but it could be budget related.  CAP is the AF Aux, but that doesn't mean the AF has to give us computers to run our webservers.  It's also possible there are policy or security differences that mean it's better for everyone for us to have our own servers.    I can't think of other reasons - but these are not negative.  Maybe some combination of the above.

We are not the military, we don't gain or lose by having a .mil address.

MSG Mac

Quote from: cm42 on April 19, 2012, 10:53:36 AM
Have any testing officers out there received the online testing notification email since this all went through (~April 1)?

Yes
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Paul Creed III

I've been working with NHQ staff to determine why some units in the field have not been receiving email from the cadet achievement testing system. So far, it's been sporadic.

Waiting to determine if a patch resolves things.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

jimmydeanno

Quote from: bflynn on April 19, 2012, 11:30:13 AM
Quote from: Fubar on April 07, 2012, 02:54:15 AM

A pure guess, but it could be budget related.  CAP is the AF Aux, but that doesn't mean the AF has to give us computers to run our webservers.  It's also possible there are policy or security differences that mean it's better for everyone for us to have our own servers.    I can't think of other reasons - but these are not negative.  Maybe some combination of the above.

We are not the military, we don't gain or lose by having a .mil address.

I doubt it's budget related.  My unit has an account with the base comm squadron, and just got 6 brand new workstations as part of an equipment refresh request we submitted.  They give us computers, tech support, printers, internet access, etc.  We just take a 15 minute equipment custodian training once a year and we're good.

lordmonar

Quote from: cm42 on April 19, 2012, 10:53:36 AM
Yes.
Stange this is that I don't have access to the cadet testing on E-services.  I'm getting ready to start finding out what happened to it...but I figure they are busy right now....and others in the squadron have access...so no rush.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

My folks are having issues getting in with their iPads - keeps redirecting them back to a login screen.

Cue Eclipse: "They should have bought a Xoom!" >:D

Extremepredjudice

They should've bought a xoom....

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 19, 2012, 06:54:25 PM
My folks are having issues getting in with their iPads - keeps redirecting them back to a login screen.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 07:00:15 PM

Xooms suck. Iconias have USB ports on them...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: davidsinn on April 19, 2012, 09:35:31 PM

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 07:00:15 PM

Xooms suck. Iconias have USB ports on them...
I know, I was just trolling.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Ken

I was wondering, has anyone had any trouble using E-Services with Internet Explorer 9?

Eclipse

Quote from: Ken on April 20, 2012, 02:42:23 AM
I was wondering, has anyone had any trouble using E-Services with Internet Explorer 9?

There's been some reports of issues with pop-unders in cadet tests.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I just realized.. no.. I have not seen any test reports since the change of something on 1-April.

MSG Mac

I've been getting cadet test scores for the last two weeks or so.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spaceman3750

Just checked my inbox - 3 cadets passed tests but no emails like normal.

a2capt

One actually showed up today. I find it hard to believe that no cadets have tested since March.

Jordan

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 19, 2012, 05:08:47 AM
Quote from: Jordan on April 19, 2012, 04:49:07 AM

When the internet was invented, it changed things.  It's probably here to stay.

E-Services has come a long way since 1998, and it keeps track of a bunch of things.  Assets are tracked, reports are submitted, personnel records are kept in there, etc.  The online testing is for things like ES qualifications, Cadet Promotions, etc.  The advantage of online testing is that it doesn't need to be at the meetings, so you can do it at home at your convenience.

As for the phones, it allows our members to be more mobile, approve things from remote locations, etc.  The idea of E-Services is a good thing.

Well snap, ain't that nifty.  I might have to find a squadron somewhere around here and sit in on a few meetings.

Sgt. Fischer

I have been having problems with the new online testing. Whenever I take the Leadership test, it randomly takes Me to the aerospace tests! Is anyone else having this problem?

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Extremepredjudice

No. Took leadership and aerospace last week.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

I'm happy it seems to be HTML 5 now.

OTOH, I'm not thrilled that I can't actually use the tests I can view as TCO.

When I have a problem with a cadet and internet access, I used to be able to login to my account, pick a test from the list and use it as if it were the actual one, and at the time of pressing finish, I just tell them to bring me back the computer and instead of pressing it. I log the score. But now it shows the correct answer chosen, and will go through the entire question pool.

Question 36 of 25, 37 .. 38.. 

Bah. Useless. ;-)

There's PDF versions I want to look at answers.

cm42

Couldn't you just use one of the printable tests?

a2capt

Why print stuff when it's perfectly doable the other way?

*now* I have to print them. Yes. .. and make sure I print them regularly since NHQ has said they would update the contents periodically..

Eclipse

Looks like OPS Quals is getting (or just got) an upgrade.  It is now generating an email when a rating is not approved which
includes the information entered at the time of the action.

Sorely needed improvement!

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2012, 03:22:33 PM
Looks like OPS Quals is getting (or just got) an upgrade.  It is now generating an email when a rating is not approved which

I agree.  oh.....how many a time did we sit in ignornace  and suspense waiting and wondering why something was not approved.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Spaceman3750

Still burning those candles for task validation then?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 02, 2012, 04:28:15 PM
Still burning those candles for task validation then?

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

I could be mistaken, but I think something I submitted to the help desk lead to that. Definitely a much needed upgrade. Now hopefully it will be a little bit easier herding cats when it comes to OpsQuals.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

I'd like to see the Multi-Entry (for PT) in Cadet Promotions have a tick box to Select All- not for "Select All Waivers", if you need a select all waivers, you've got an interesting collection of cadets :)

OTOH, when you are entering 40 something PT passes... As it is, the multi-entry is kinda wonky with the date populating the fields, but tab, paste, tab, paste, tab, paste .. is a lot easier than trying to nail each of those tick boxes which do not seem to work with the tab to change the field/control in focus.

denverpilot

The iPad needs to have cookies enabled for multiple sites (which indicates awful web programming as this is generally considered a no-no and has for at least a decade) to login.

Select "Always" under "Safari->Cookies" in the Settings App.

Screenshots:

Brad

Took me FOREVER to find where to order a new CAP ID card. May as well have been buried at the bottom of the Atlantic. Who looks up there at the very top of the screen on a regular basis in e-Services at the main page?! Not me, I look for my stuff on the left and right sides as I'm sure most of us do.

FINALLY placed the order, then ended up having to print a temporary ID with the very last sheet of paper in my printer in order to get on base the other day to help out with the airshow because my current card is dead.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN