The budget problems are hitting home.

Started by davidsinn, January 17, 2012, 05:22:15 PM

bflynn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 03, 2012, 06:02:40 PM
In my experience the disgruntled current/former members are usually the ones who can't color inside the lines anyways.

And membership is declining beceause of it?

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on May 03, 2012, 09:43:51 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on May 03, 2012, 08:43:47 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 01, 2012, 06:14:29 PM
I'm working on a way to get my members joined at no cost [to them].  Local businesses in the area are interested in supporting our scholarship opportunities, etc, so I'm trying to work the membership angle and it's being pretty well received.

The downside of scholarships for Cadet memberships is you have a squared away Cadet bringing in his /her buddy who has no interest in CAP but hanging out with their BFF.

Another is a Cadet who got a "free" renewal at one Squadron and decided to transfer to another local Squadron. The losing Squadron blocked the transfer because they wanted to be reimbursed for the membership. I got involved and my #1 question was; Was the scholarship in CAP for the benefit of the teenager or because you wanted to beef up your numbers?

Huh?

The unit gets no money from the dues, so why are they "losing" money when someone transfers?

Dave,

The scenario is a Squadron Commander had the Unit funds pay for "Susie's annual membership" because she is a great Cadet First Sergeant. But the billet of Cadet Commander was coming up in 'another' Squadron so she wanted to transfer there and being 18 with a drivers license, she put in for transfer. The losing Unit was "NO! You can not transfer, we paid your dues!"

Saavy? 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2012, 01:09:59 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 03, 2012, 10:02:15 AMI think that in this case the squadron had funded the member's membership through some sort of financial aid or 'scholarship.'

That or maybe a member just ponied up for the dues.

If I'd just written a check for someone leaving my unit, I might be a little "tweaked", but ultimately they would not have any recourse, and
the money is still going for the intention.

When I became a Squadron Commander I decided on no freebies. The previous SQCC would have the Unit and/or occassionally himself pay and all that did was bring in somebody's "BFF". 

caphornbuckle

It is sad we are losing our SD's.  Our SD was the Liason Officer before we went through the change and he has been awesome at his job!  He is always there when we needed him!

My thought on this, however, is how will they process Spaatz Awards testing and other efforts under the current responsibility of the SD?  Will these be distributed through the wing volunteers or will these become a region effort?
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

MajorM

The Spaatz testing question is something NHQ is currently trying to figure out.

a2capt

The Spaatz testing to me needs to be how it is now, handled by a darn nearly unlikely to be influenced, otherwise impartial panel, person, whatever. I've heard during commanders calls that it was going to be moved into CAP's hands.

Say what you will, but I'm sorry. The temptation is there. Power corrupts, and absolute power, absolutely corrupts.  It's been proven time and time again.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on May 06, 2012, 06:20:08 AM
The Spaatz testing to me needs to be how it is now, handled by a darn nearly unlikely to be influenced, otherwise impartial panel, person, whatever. I've heard during commanders calls that it was going to be moved into CAP's hands.

Say what you will, but I'm sorry. The temptation is there. Power corrupts, and absolute power, absolutely corrupts.  It's been proven time and time again.

And I've heard that the CAP-RAP folks will handle the Spaatz exams.

How about we wait until the guidance is published and stop speculating.