Saw a bum wearing CAP Senior Pilot wings

Started by dogboy, April 15, 2011, 11:38:38 PM

dogboy

Today I was a bum (aka homeless individual) outside our local 99 Cent Store wearing a Marine short sleeve khaki shirt with very shiny CAP Senior Pilot wings pinned on.

No, I did not point out he was in violation of CAPR 39-1. Somehow I felt he would be unresponsive to my criticism.

vento

Quote from: dogboy on April 15, 2011, 11:38:38 PM
Today I was saw a bum (aka homeless individual) outside our local 99 Cent Store wearing a Marine short sleeve khaki shirt with very shiny CAP Senior Pilot wings pinned on.

No, I did not point out he was in violation of CAPR 39-1. Somehow I felt he would be unresponsive to my criticism.

Fixed

DC

I saw a guy sitting on a street corner once wearing an old OG107 field jacket with CAP tapes and Major rank insignia.

a bum
I believe the currently accepted term is 'Urban Outdoorsman'.  ;)

Eclipse

Quote from: dogboy on April 15, 2011, 11:38:38 PMNo, I did not point out he was in violation of CAPR 39-1. Somehow I felt he would be unresponsive to my criticism.

Assuming he was not a member, our regulations do not apply, so therefore he would not be in violation.

He was probably, however, in violation of statutes regarding wearing military insignia and also probably Mopery.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: DC on April 15, 2011, 11:54:50 PM
I saw a guy sitting on a street corner once wearing an old OG107 field jacket with CAP tapes and Major rank insignia.

a bum
I believe the currently accepted term is 'Urban Outdoorsman'.  ;)

I was doing some community service with an academic honors society I belong to at a goodwill donation center last week sorting through the donations and saw a field jacket with CAP tapes.

JC004

Great.  Constant uniform changes are costing so much that they're putting people out on the street...

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2011, 12:22:53 AM

He was probably, however, in violation of statutes regarding wearing military insignia and also probably Mopery.

Does Insignia from a private corporation count as "military Insignia"?  I know it gets approved by the Air Force, but does that really make it Military insignia especially when its designed specifically for civilian members?   Just Curious...not sure the enforcement of any applicable statute would hold up in court.

SARDOC

Quote from: JC004 on April 16, 2011, 12:50:50 AM
Great.  Constant uniform changes are costing so much that they're putting people out on the street...

Haha...too funny

bosshawk

It seems to me that all of us have seen CAP members who resembled homeless folks and didn't even know it.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

The CyBorg is destroyed

How about the long-lost, lamented blue shoulder marks with "CAP" on a flight jacket (I'm going to guess L2-B since no other U.S. flight jacket to my knowledge has epaulettes, and UK/Canadian/Aussie ones' epaulettes are too wide to fit our shoulder marks)?

I've seen the occasional OD M65 with the odd CAP insignia (usually wings) but not much since there aren't too many of those in circulation anymore.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SARDOC on April 16, 2011, 02:35:52 AM
Does Insignia from a private corporation count as "military Insignia"?  I know it gets approved by the Air Force, but does that really make it Military insignia especially when its designed specifically for civilian members?   Just Curious...not sure the enforcement of any applicable statute would hold up in court.

I'm betting that a judge would rule it to be at least on the level of wearing a police badge when you're not a police officer.

That said, there was an old gent in the city where I grew up; kind of a local character.  He probably wasn't firing on all cylinders upstairs but he always wore a police badge of some kind...the cops knew him and let him be (he was harmless) and most of the locals (usually) affectionately called him "Sheriff Johnny" or "Two-Gun Johnny."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

Quote from: CyBorg on April 16, 2011, 03:49:03 AMI'm betting that a judge would rule it to be at least on the level of wearing a police badge when you're not a police officer.

That would be inappropriate and the Judge would have his ruling overturned.  The Judge enforces and interprets law but can not just create a law because to suit his whims.  In my State there are a number of laws pertaining to impersonation when it comes to displaying badges of law enforcement officers or firefighters.   There are also laws that pertain to wearing of a military uniform while not in the military or actively taking part in some kind of theatrical event or reenactment event.  There are a few that protect the Display of a FEW but not anywhere near all Military awards when not specifically authorized to do so...these laws protect the medal of honor, silver Star, Bronze Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Air Medal and a handful more that I can't remember off the top of my head.  In my state you can pin on the National Defense Service medal and walk around in public and the police can't do anything about it even if the person has never been in the military a day in their life.

Nothing about a Bum wearing Civil Air Patrol Senior Pilot Wings implies the kind of authority that a Law Enforcement officer badge would. That kind of accoutrement is not protected in my state.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: dogboy on April 15, 2011, 11:38:38 PMNo, I did not point out he was in violation of CAPR 39-1. Somehow I felt he would be unresponsive to my criticism.

Assuming he was not a member, our regulations do not apply, so therefore he would not be in violation.

Last I looked we are CIVIL Air Patrol and that isn't the military.   All of are insignias are basically "wanna bee" military designed items meant to blend in with the military type uniform.    HOWEVER, you do bring up an important point IF a non member (never a member or a former member) was wearing a complete CAP uniform (as opposed to just an item), (bringing discredit to the organization or representing the organization/or for personal gain) who could legally stop this activity???   Would CAP Inc have to bring a cease & desist order against the individual ???   Since the Wing Commander is the only corporate official in the state would he/she actually have to file the complaint ???
RM

ol'fido

Bob, I believe that would be "Aggravated Mopery with Intent to Creep" ;D.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

arBar

I occasionally see parts of scout uniforms worn by people as sort of a fashion statement.  not sure why its considered fashionable, but these girls like it: (http://www.scoutinsignia.com/celebs.htm)

If the BSA, after a hundred years is just now having this problem, I doubt we have much to worry about.

NIN

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 16, 2011, 03:52:50 PM
Last I looked we are CIVIL Air Patrol and that isn't the military.   All of are insignias are basically "wanna bee" military designed items meant to blend in with the military type uniform.    HOWEVER, you do bring up an important point IF a non member (never a member or a former member) was wearing a complete CAP uniform (as opposed to just an item), (bringing discredit to the organization or representing the organization/or for personal gain) who could legally stop this activity???   Would CAP Inc have to bring a cease & desist order against the individual ???   Since the Wing Commander is the only corporate official in the state would he/she actually have to file the complaint ???

"Attempted to serve cease-and-desist order on homeless individual wearing our uniform, however, could not locate the person identified as the 'third bum from the corner of State and Main'."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

davidsinn

HOWEVER, you do bring up an important point IF a non member (never a member or a former member) was wearing a complete CAP uniform (as opposed to just an item), (bringing discredit to the organization or representing the organization/or for personal gain) who could legally stop this activity??? 

Any LEO can stop this because it is a violation of federal law. We fall under the same statute that controls illegal wear of military uniforms because we are a uniformed auxiliary.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

I see bums wearing CAP pilot wings all the time.......they are called pilots!  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Last I looked we are CIVIL Air Patrol and that isn't the military.

Your favourite quote, as always.

WE KNOW. ::)

All of are insignias are basically "wanna bee" military designed items meant to blend in with the military type uniform.

The "wanna bee" bit is insulting and I take exception to it.  Really only our grade insignia looks like the military...the AF, Army, Navy/CG/Marines aircrew badges look nothing like CAP wings.

If you're going to call us "wanna bee" then you might as well apply the same slur to the CGAUX, NOAA Commissioned Corps and U.S. Public Health Services.  None of those are military or subject to UCMJ, except when under assignment to one of the armed forces (not so frequent with NOAA, but frequently with USPHS medics assigned to the USCG).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SARDOC on April 16, 2011, 02:06:01 PM
That would be inappropriate and the Judge would have his ruling overturned.

Just a guess from a non-JD layperson...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011