Social Networking, and appropriate "friendships"

Started by Hawk200, May 13, 2010, 04:31:59 AM

Would it be acceptable for a senior member to "friend" a cadet on one of the social networking sites?

Yes, it's fine.
73 (76%)
No, it's unacceptable.
14 (14.6%)
It's fine, if the senior and cadet are related
9 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on May 13, 2010, 07:55:00 PM
"Social Media" - A service that forces you to be rude to the people you are with, so you can stay in touch with people you aren't, assuming  you actually leave your mom's basement at all.

What requires you to use it at certain times?   :o

heliodoc

^^^^ About social media and rudeness

Why worry about FB, Twitter, etc  when one can get all the rudeness and free abuse whether jokingly or not...

You can get ALLLL that here and more at CAPTalk ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why worry about social media??

JC004

Quote from: heliodoc on May 13, 2010, 08:06:08 PM
^^^^ About social media and rudeness

Why worry about FB, Twitter, etc  when one can get all the rudeness and free abuse whether jokingly or not...

You can get ALLLL that here and more at CAPTalk ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why worry about social media??

Exactly.  Now go away.  Never mind, I shall ignore you.  If you want, find me on Twitter or Facebook so I can be rude to you there too.  ttys!

heliodoc

^^^^^^

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RiverAux

I haven't friended any current cadets, but have one former cadet from back when I was a commander.  I think I'd probably say that it isn't a great idea in general.  Not sure I'm on board with the idea of friending them just so I can go bigbrother and monitor their activities either.  You could look at it as a way to mentor them to keep them out of trouble (ref the AFA example), but it seems a little too big brotherish to me.  Plus, I know someone that got slammed hard for critisizing a cadet outside the scope of a CAP activity. 

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on May 13, 2010, 08:01:27 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 13, 2010, 07:55:00 PM
"Social Media" - A service that forces you to be rude to the people you are with, so you can stay in touch with people you aren't, assuming  you actually leave your mom's basement at all.

What requires you to use it at certain times?   :o

Nothing at all, but if you've ever spent time with people really invested in them, you'd know they are never "now", because they are always worried about "next".

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

I have, as of this moment, 380 friends on Facebook. Pretty mixed bunch - OTS classmates, people I went to college with, a few childhood friends, etc. By and large, they're people who I'm not around any more, but whose lives I do have an interest in. I can't manually keep track of 380 people's lives, but with Facebook, I can. I can say "Going to ___ for a few weeks for training" and reconnect with someone that I didn't know had moved to ___.

I could go on at length about this, but "I'm not interested in it" != "it's pointless." I don't use Twitter (mainly because I don't see what it does that Facebook doesn't), but apparently some people find it useful. Good for them.

Anyways...

I'm friends with a few cadets from my last squadron on Facebook. One of them messaged me awhile back to ask me if I could find something out from the ROTC graduates I know. Then again, I don't have anything particularly objectionable on my profile (other than listing myself as a Marilyn Manson fan >:D) that I wouldn't want them to see.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

tdepp

Quote from: NIN on May 13, 2010, 07:46:20 PM
Quote from: raivo on May 13, 2010, 06:35:17 PM
JUST IN: Society and its communication methods evolve with technology. Details at 11.

"Dr. Maslow, while commenting on the popularity of MyFaceSpace, admits that he may have accidentally built his classic 'hierarchy of needs' pyramid in an inverse order.  He further commented that he has since removed 'self-actualization' from the list, since in his words: 'I realized that nobody gets it. Not even me.'"
:clap: Bravo. Genius.  This may be the best comment I've read on CT.  Dennis Miller just called in and gave his kudos as well, cha-cha.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

JC004

This is an interesting topic, though.  As a young senior member, until fairly recently, a bunch of my friends from my cadet days were still cadets.  I turned over to The Dark Side early and became a flight officer, which meant that a lot of cadets were older than me.  That's a rough situation.  Your friends who were your fellow cadets yesterday before you signed the paperwork are suddenly a different classification of membership.  A few years ago, I was an 18/19 year old senior member with cadets who were a couple years older than me. 

I've had Facebook since it was founded - 2004.  So, I left the friends in there.  I wasn't going to go delete friends suddenly because I had signed a paper.  I added a couple after the transition, but am generally careful about it.  I don't post the sort of things that would set a bad example for them.  Facebook is a web site - not an intimate relationship.  It all depends on how you use it.  If I were the sort of person who was out drinking and partying, then plastering that all over Facebook, that'd probably be an issue and wouldn't be ok by my standard. 

wuzafuzz

Provided you keep you communications professional I see no problem with senior members having cadets as Facebook friends.  In fact, communicating on a social networking site may be safer than "real world" conversations, since what happens on Facebook is there for everyone to see.  No one knows what you and that cadet are discussing out in the hallway...   >:D

If I got stupid on Facebook, with a cadet or anyone else, most of my squadron would know about it in 10 minutes. 

I am not very familiar with the other social networking sites, except to say that what I've seen of MySpace made me fear for the future of our country.  ;-)

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

heliodoc

That IS Good , NIN!!

Especially FNG in the background and the whole clip would behoooooooove CAP to do the same

Just in case some did not get your drift!! >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

a2capt

That they have these examples to use ... means they happened, usually.

Amazing. Some may blame the beer, but .. some don't have it all upstairs in the first place.

Eagle400

Guys n' Gals...

Too much thinking about this... More reading into it, than problem preparation/study

Quote from: MyselfI say it's fine... so long as it does not constitute conflict of interest/fraternization.

Because if it does, then a whole lot of bigger problems can ensue.

In other words, not while the Senior and Cadet are both members of CAP, simultaneously.

And of course there's common sense... Like, not breaking State Law.

Bottom Line: This rule is in effect 24/7... Even though CAP is (technically) a part-time commitment. 

Gosh, I didn't take this to heart until after I left CAP.  Sad, but true.

Hopefully folks can learn from my mistake.  It's not worth it, being one person for school... a different one for CAP... and another at home.  For 8 years, I was frying bacon without an apron.  Life was not fun, except for some happy moments.

Oh yeah... In keeping on topic... I was a different person on Facebook, this site, CadetStuff, and other internet forums too.  Suffice it to say, Earhart #11826 has had some major issues.  (And still does, though not as bad [words of others]). 

Don't do what I did.

PhoenixRisen

I'm friends with scores of people from CAP ranging from C/Col's to C/AB's, commanders to chaplains, and various other people.  If there's no "questionable content", what's the problem?  Anything "bad" that happens via social media can happen through just about any other form of communication.  Blame the act and person, not the vehicle used to communicate that message.

Eagle400

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 16, 2010, 07:00:20 AM
I'm friends with scores of people from CAP ranging from C/Col's to C/AB's, commanders to chaplains, and various other people.  If there's no "questionable content", what's the problem?  Anything "bad" that happens via social media can happen through just about any other form of communication.  Blame the act and person, not the vehicle used to communicate that message.

Same here. 

And 99.9% of this is just applying common sense, and acting accordingly. 

Unfortunately, what many people fail to take into account... is what image may be portrayed, when one gets too close to another (verbally, through correspondence, etc). 

Remember: just the appearance of impropriety is bad.  Perception is usually reality, in this context.  (Even if said perception is based on assumption, hearsay, gossip, etc.)   

Mustang

Quote from: tsrup on May 13, 2010, 05:54:26 AM
Yes, but privacy settings are your friend. 

I have everyone CAP related in a CAP category on my FB account, I have the ability to exclude them from viewing anything I post, and regularly exercise that setting.  Be smart about what is seen by cadets and you should be fine.
+1

I've been "befriended" by a number of cadets on Facebook, but they all go into a "Cadets" category, which I've set up to shield from all my posts, status updates, etc by default.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

a2capt

On the lighter side of things, your comment of Earhart #11826 had some issues .. of course made me curious to visit the search engine..

Based on those results, some people might be forced to believe that Amelia Earhart, like Elvis, is alive and well. Of course, a little deeper digging, reality sets in.. She's simply not downloadable from Rapidshare, but various linkfarm sites would have you think so:

Quote from: Google Search ResultsAmelia earhart rapidshare » Free Downloads RapidShare - MegaUpload ...
Amelia earhart is available on a new high speed direct download ... Amelia
earhart rapidshare rapidshare hotfile megaupload, Amelia earhart ...
rapidshare-catalog.com/file/amelia+earhart+rapidshare.html
IOW.. certainly don't believe at first glance, what you read online  ;D

JC004

Quote from: CCSE on May 16, 2010, 06:00:17 AM
Oh yeah... In keeping on topic... I was a different person on Facebook, this site, CadetStuff, and other internet forums too.  Suffice it to say, Earhart #11826 has had some major issues.  (And still does, though not as bad [words of others]). 

So I am assuming that you go by "Earhart #11826" in all of these places and that the consolidation of your identities is why you are no longer called Smitty?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"