Main Menu

Flu advice from the CDC

Started by RNOfficer, September 10, 2016, 04:16:57 AM

RNOfficer

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm

Note: For the 2016-2017 season, CDC recommends use of the flu shot (inactivated influenza vaccine or IIV) and the recombinant influenza vaccine (RIV). The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2016-2017.

Why is a higher dose vaccine available for adults 65 and older?

Human immune defenses become weaker with age, which places older people at greater risk of severe illness from influenza. Also, ageing decreases the body's ability to have a good immune response after getting influenza vaccine. A higher dose of antigen in the vaccine is supposed to give older people a better immune response, and therefore, better protection against flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm

Holding Pattern

Can you just make a single thread that you regularly post information like this in? Title it "Health Safety Briefing Ideas" or something?

SarDragon

Good idea. Will work on that tonight.

No more new HSO posts until that happens.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

How about no more Star Trek posts as well!

Luis R. Ramos

Second the idea of NO MORE Star Trek posts!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

How about no more Senior member PT posts, IT, posts, etc and just focus on core missions????  Better yet lets make reading all the regs and pamphlets mandatory before we even post here or ask questions?

There is far more pertinent discussions to the Star Trelk posts than someone taking it upon themselves to be the HSO for the forum and CAP in general. 

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah, lets make mandatory to read regs, manuals, and pamphlets before posting. 

Doing so would cut about 75% of all posts here!

I used to fight with my father for the TV to see the original series, but using the spinoffs for training?

Dumb! NOT relevant. More relevant is the HSO info.

At least you can get some info that applies to real life. That you can have something to share with parents. That you can ask the parents to discuss weith their health care providers.
Squadron Safety Officer

abdsp51

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 11, 2016, 04:04:47 AM
At least you can get some info that applies to real life. That you can have something to share with parents. That you can ask the parents to discuss weith their health care providers.

Not our place to share health related information with cadets or parents.

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah.

In a Bivouac, I will see a cadet sneezing torrents of snot, and will look to the other side. Will not contact parents to get him home as "ABD says not our place to share health info with cadets or parents."

In another I have a cadet touching poison ivy, will not alert him. When he reacts to the oil, I will not say anything as ABD says we cannot "dispense health info."
Squadron Safety Officer

abdsp51

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 11, 2016, 05:04:33 AM
Yeah.

In a Bivouac, I will see a cadet sneezing torrents of snot, and will look to the other side. Will not contact parents to get him home as "ABD says not our place to share health info with cadets or parents."

In another I have a cadet touching poison ivy, will not alert him. When he reacts to the oil, I will not say anything as ABD says we cannot "dispense health info."

Hey whatever your bars or leaves can handle.  Have fun with the safety paperwork.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 11, 2016, 04:04:47 AM
Yeah, lets make mandatory to read regs, manuals, and pamphlets before posting. 

Doing so would cut about 75% of all posts here!

I used to fight with my father for the TV to see the original series, but using the spinoffs for training?

Dumb! NOT relevant. More relevant is the HSO info.

As long as the information is legitimate, and as long you don't act above the level you are trained. Seen way to many times in my career where someone put out bogus information, as in a forum, and a reader or someone followed that bogus information, did something they were not trained to do, and [darn] near killed a sailor. This information does't apply to life or real world situations if it is inaccurate. Like posting something that suggests that using expired EpiPens is safe.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present