USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...

Started by Eclipse, July 23, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

ColonelJack

Quote from: NIN on July 24, 2017, 11:25:28 AM
that's going away
My former sq commander's wife is a new Navy ensign. She started her Navy career in the blue camo less than a year ago. 

She just got the *new* new camo.  The green - based one

And she's a surface warfare officer,  not a snipe or some on-shore duty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but ... WHY does the Navy need camouflage anything on a ship?????  Shore duties, I can see.  If you're SEAL or other very special personage who engages in a lot of the shooting, yes, most assuredly.

But on a ship?  What purpose does camouflage on a ship serve?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Luis R. Ramos

Well, there are different types of algae in the sea... Green and brown. Reddish brown and so. One is Kelp, another is moss, and others...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

They don't generally wear the camo once onboard. Most wear the dark
blue bduesque combo, or some other uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2017, 10:11:52 PM
Ok. I'll make sure the ensign tells her shipmates....

Cuz they wear that uniform on board the ship from the photos I've seen so far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 24, 2017, 11:02:22 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2017, 03:27:57 AM
Of course you would be hard pressed to provide a realistic need for the Air Force to be in camouflage in the first place, at least in CONUS.
When you deploy it's a different story, but that's why you have Deployment Bags. But in CONUS the Air Force could easily do it's job in Blue BDU's.
Just sayin'.

This actually mirrors my thoughts about the Navy's version of a camouflage uniform for work aboard ships.  While I do understand some of the "whys and wherefores" (stains from oils, etc., don't show up as much), I've never been able to wrap my head around why the Navy would choose a BLUE camouflage uniform.  I mean, if you fall overboard, don't you WANT somebody to see you??

Jack

Based on my underway experience, the new uniforms don't seem to be any less visible in the water than the old dungaree working uniform they replaced.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2017, 10:11:52 PM

Really?

Underway uniform depends a lot on the assigned work center. The really dirty places get coveralls, issued to the sailor. Clean work centers get the standard working uniform - the blue cammies. Chiefs and officers generally wear working khakis, unless in one of the dirty areas, then they, too, wear the blue coveralls.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

To go back to the OP and away from discussing what the Navy may or may not wear, I wouldn't say the USAF is quietly transitioning to OCP.  What is happening is very similar to what happened in the 1980's with the transition to BDUs.  Those USAF personnel who worked closely with the Army or Special Ops wore BDUs while all other USAF wore OD.  Even the USAF personnel that were stationed in USAFE were issued BDUs but weren't allowed to wear them stateside.

Hopefully ABUs will be gone from the USAF soon but I'm not holding my breath.  It is definitely one of the worst uniforms that I have ever had to wear on many levels.  It is a decent uniform for CAP since it helps with visibility in the field.

lordmonar

What you are getting.....is anyone who can justify it....even a little bit....are wearing the TACTI-COOL uniform.

As Kwe said...back in the 80's the same thing happened with the BDUs. So...yes the USAF is quietly moving to OCP's...because eventually someone is going to ask their chief will ask THE CHIEF who will ask THE BOSS and then it will make it to the Uniform Board.

So....sometime between now and the next 10 years the USAF will change over to OCP.  And if I had my way CAP would change right along with them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

I'm not a fan of OCPs. In my opinion, they don't fit as well as BDUs or ABUs. They also tend to fade a lot faster. My last pair looked like I've worn them for 6 moths to a year after only 4 or 5 washes. That said, I don't doubt the Air Force will be moving in that direction eventually. CAP will probably take much longer to go to OCPs.

CAPLTC

Agree.  The fabric is for crap and it fits funny.
PEO Soldier promised they'd fix the waistline that reaches a man's ribcage - and leads to saggy crotch which leads to rips. The FRACU addressed this with a shorter rise, unsure why they went back to stupid.
The Afghan-issue FRACU in Multicam is, hands down, the BEST uniform I have ever been issued in 23 years of doing Army stuff.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 30, 2017, 05:04:26 PM
I'm not a fan of OCPs. In my opinion, they don't fit as well as BDUs or ABUs. They also tend to fade a lot faster. My last pair looked like I've worn them for 6 moths to a year after only 4 or 5 washes. That said, I don't doubt the Air Force will be moving in that direction eventually. CAP will probably take much longer to go to OCPs.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

ZigZag911

The only possible excuse for camouflage uniforms in CAP is to attract new cadet members.

For reasons that completely escape me (my cadet years being of "pickle suit" vintage!) modern kids delight in walking around looking like shrubbery!!!

IMHO, senior should all transition to BBDU.

Jester

According to the AF subreddit, as of 3 August a recommendation had been submitted to transition to OCPs by a BG Davis. If that wasn't feasible, the next recommended course of action was unit patches on ABUs. Uniform Board decisions are pending.

PHall

Quote from: Jester on August 11, 2017, 10:14:17 PM
According to the AF subreddit, as of 3 August a recommendation had been submitted to transition to OCPs by a BG Davis. If that wasn't feasible, the next recommended course of action was unit patches on ABUs. Uniform Board decisions are pending.

This is probably the fourth or fifth time they have tried to get patches back. All of the previous attempts were rejected or I don't think this attempt will get approval either. One big reason, money, the patches have to be provided at no cost to enlisted troops. Money that can be used for other things that are needed more.

PA Guy

Jester

Quote from: PHall on August 12, 2017, 12:36:22 AM
Quote from: Jester on August 11, 2017, 10:14:17 PM

This is probably the fourth or fifth time they have tried to get patches back. All of the previous attempts were rejected or I don't think this attempt will get approval either. One big reason, money, the patches have to be provided at no cost to enlisted troops. Money that can be used for other things that are needed more.

My gut feeling is that OCPs have a better chance than ABU patches. After 10 years people are just fed up with it. Time to admit it had a decent service life and go on to something much more useful. Basically parallel with the UCP ACU.

It's really no skin off my nose any longer but it is interesting to follow.

Гугл переводчик

I'm currently stationed on a Global Strike base, and all the cops wear the OCPs, with our commander telling us to get ready for OCPs for us...
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

FW

Quote from: PA Guy on August 12, 2017, 01:25:37 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 11, 2017, 09:46:17 PM
IMHO, senior should all transition to BBDU.

Yes. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And this is why I just wear the polo/grey combo.... LOL

Nikos

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Sar, your response was a non-response. Clicking on your link gave me a lot of pickle suits, BDUs, Khakis, even a Prusian soldier!

So your response was "ANYTHING goes as a 1505?" Hardly what I expected with your experience!

>:D

;D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer