Model rocketry badge w/ marksmanship bagde?

Started by I_Am_Twigs, February 11, 2018, 10:50:02 PM

I_Am_Twigs

I've been working towards a marksmanship and model rocketry badge. But I don't know how I'd wear them, I know the model rocketry would go under the left welt on class A's and so does the marksmanship but they'd cover each other if I follow the measurements for the placement... I've seen officers with the marksmanship where it's supposed to be and the rocketry under it about 1/2" is this how the placement is supposed to be?  I also find that 39-1 isn't very clear to me on where the marksmanship goes on class B's so if someone could answer that one too that'd be awesome. Thanks!
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

kwe1009

The marksmanship badge goes on the pocket flap below the ribbons, not on the pocket.

"The NRA Marksmanship Badge is worn centered on the welt pocket" (CAPM 39-1 para 4.1.5.4.4.2) for male and above the nametag for females (4.1.7.4.4.2.).

abdsp51

hamburgee

I've seen the picture before, I believe they're part of the Air National Guard.

Ozzy

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 12, 2018, 01:30:11 AM
Is the party in the pic a reservist?

Looks like it. Air Force Training Ribbon, Small Arms Expert. No deployment ribbons. I guess it is possible for the c/Colonel to be active duty but it'd be a pretty big integrity violation if he kept as a cadet.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Fester

Quote from: Ozzy on February 12, 2018, 01:44:29 AM

Looks like it. Air Force Training Ribbon, Small Arms Expert. No deployment ribbons. I guess it is possible for the c/Colonel to be active duty but it'd be a pretty big integrity violation if he kept as a cadet.

I was under the impression that one could be NG or Reserve and remain a Cadet.  That the only time a Cadet has to transition to the dark side is when they are on AD.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Ozzy

Quote from: Fester on February 12, 2018, 01:54:10 AM

I was under the impression that one could be NG or Reserve and remain a Cadet.  That the only time a Cadet has to transition to the dark side is when they are on AD.

What I meant that if the unit doesn't initiate the paperwork to make the cadet a senior when the cadet ships off the basic (When going active duty) and the cadet didn't correct it once they could, that would be the integrity violation
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

hamburgee

Quote from: Fester on February 12, 2018, 01:54:10 AMI was under the impression that one could be NG or Reserve and remain a Cadet.  That the only time a Cadet has to transition to the dark side is when they are on AD.
That would be correct.

Fester

Quote from: Ozzy on February 12, 2018, 01:56:30 AM

What I meant that if the unit doesn't initiate the paperwork to make the cadet a senior when the cadet ships off the basic (When going active duty) and the cadet didn't correct it once they could, that would be the integrity violation

For NG and Reserve enlistment, CAP doesn't define Basic as "Active Duty."

"Note: Cadets who join the National Guard or Reserves are not required to become
active upon attending "basic training." Regardless of the wording of the orders, "basic training"
is not interpreted by CAP as "extended active duty." However, National Guard or Reserve
members who enter "extended active duty" are not eligible to be cadets and must become active
members. Individuals who join the Armed Forces under the delayed enlistment program are not
required to become active members until such time as they actually report for duty."
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Ozzy

Quote from: Fester on February 12, 2018, 02:00:55 AM

"Note: Cadets who join the National Guard or Reserves are not required to become
active upon attending "basic training." Regardless of the wording of the orders, "basic training"
is not interpreted by CAP as "extended active duty." However, National Guard or Reserve
members who enter "extended active duty" are not eligible to be cadets and must become active
members. Individuals who join the Armed Forces under the delayed enlistment program are not
required to become active members until such time as they actually report for duty."

Right. However when a cadet goes active duty, they aren't automatically set as a senior member... it has to be initiated by either the unit or the cadet. That is what I was getting at.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

abdsp51

Quote from: Fester on February 12, 2018, 02:00:55 AM

Duh hence the question.....

CAPLTC

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on February 11, 2018, 10:50:02 PM
I've been working towards a marksmanship and model rocketry badge. But I don't know how I'd wear them, I know the model rocketry would go under the left welt on class A's and so does the marksmanship but they'd cover each other if I follow the measurements for the placement... I've seen officers with the marksmanship where it's supposed to be and the rocketry under it about 1/2" is this how the placement is supposed to be?  I also find that 39-1 isn't very clear to me on where the marksmanship goes on class B's so if someone could answer that one too that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Goes on the pocket flap.
Picture seems to encapsulate proper location.
39-1 is pretty clear.
4.1.5.4.4.2. CAP Service, Specialty Track Badges, Model Rocketry and NRA Marksmanship Badges (refer to Attachment 4). Wear of these badges is optional. Service badges will only be worn by officers and NCOs.
Model rocketry and NRA Marksmanship Badges will only be worn by cadets.
The total number of badges worn will not exceed four, to include the above-mentioned aviation and occupational badges.
- The first of these badges will be on the wearer's left 1 ½ inch below top of welt pocket and centered.
- The second badge will be worn on the wearer's right 1 ½ inch below the nametag.
- If authorized, center a third badge ½ inch above the nametag.
CAP service badges, if worn, must be metal, are always worn on the left, and only one may be worn.
The model rocketry badge is only worn on the left pocket.
The NRA Marksmanship Badge is worn centered on the welt pocket; only one marksmanship badge may be worn.

"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: CAPLTC on February 13, 2018, 12:47:37 AM

Goes on the pocket flap.
39-1 is pretty clear.
4.1.5.4.4.2. CAP Service, Specialty Track Badges, Model Rocketry and NRA Marksmanship Badges (refer to Attachment 4). Wear of these badges is optional. Service badges will only be worn by officers and NCOs.
The total number of badges worn will not exceed four, to include the above-mentioned aviation and occupational badges.
- The first of these badges will be on the wearer's left 1 ½ inch below top of welt pocket and centered.
- The second badge will be worn on the wearer's right 1 ½ inch below the nametag.
CAP service badges, if worn, must be metal, are always worn on the left, and only one may be worn.
The NRA Marksmanship Badge is worn centered on the welt pocket; only one marksmanship badge may be worn.

I think you might've misunderstood my question. My question is where would you wear them when you have both. The marksmanship badge is surely longer than 1 1/2 so if you wore the rocketry badge with it then according to how I interpreted the regs, the marksmanship badge would cover the model rocketry badge. Which I'm pretty sure wouldn't look right. But at the same time I couldn't find any specifications on how to go about placing the badges if the cadet has obtained both.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

kwe1009

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on February 13, 2018, 03:47:35 AM

Goes on the pocket flap.
39-1 is pretty clear.

I think you might've misunderstood my question. My question is where would you wear them when you have both. The marksmanship badge is surely longer than 1 1/2 so if you wore the rocketry badge with it then according to how I interpreted the regs, the marksmanship badge would cover the model rocketry badge. Which I'm pretty sure wouldn't look right. But at the same time I couldn't find any specifications on how to go about placing the badges if the cadet has obtained both.

Please look at my first reply along with the picture showing both the NRA and rocketry badges.  The NRA badge goes on the pocket flap of the blue shirt (above the button) and the rocketry badge goes on the pocket (below the button).  Depending on the size of your shirt the NRA badge may cover the rocketry badge.  I see cadets with both all the time and it is very rare that I have seen the NRA badge cover more than a tiny piece of the rocketry badge.

CAPLTC

Goes on the pocket flap.
39-1 is pretty clear.
I understood your question cadet.
Read the reg carefully.
If both don't fit, pick one.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: CAPLTC on February 13, 2018, 03:59:35 AM
Goes on the pocket flap.
39-1 is pretty clear.
I understood your question cadet.
Read the reg carefully.
If both don't fit, pick one.

Ok I get it now. Thank you for your help sir! Thanks to everyone else as well.

-Twigs
C/Maj, CAP