Main Menu

lapsing membership

Started by star1151, October 01, 2007, 03:30:20 AM

star1151

Maybe lapsing isn't the right word, because I just joined, but is there any kind of "official" way to let it lapse?  Just stop showing up for meetings?  I've seen a few threads here on retention issues, and I now believe it, because it's something I've encountered firsthand.  Don't want to burn any bridges in case this is something I want to pick up in the future...so I want to do this the right way.

Pylon

Well, you can request a leave of absence.

The worst thing you could do would be to just stop showing up to meetings.  This not only counts as unexcused absences (and 3+ unexcused absences are grounds for membership termination), but it's also just rude to the staff.  Let them know that you've got other things going on (or whatever your reasoning) and that you'd like to request a leave of absence.

Technically, you'll still be a member of CAP for the rest of your current year's membership on the National roster.  Whether or not you renew that is your choice, of course.  There are benefits to keeping up your National membership, even when not active at the time.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

star1151

I thought 3+ unexcused absences just applied to cadets.

Not that I'm seriously contemplating that route, but I'm frustrated and non-confrontational in general, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

pixelwonk

transferring to Patron membership certainly says "I won't be around much." :)

Cecil DP

You can voluntarily resign your membership. with a form 2b to National Headquarters. Once you do though, you have to reapply, submit the fingerprints. and pay the membership fees again to rejoin=even if you change your mind the next week.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

star1151

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 01, 2007, 04:23:02 AM
You can voluntarily resign your membership. with a form 2b to National Headquarters. 
Thought that was a good idea at first, but apparently that has to be signed by "commander or designated representative".  That's a conversation I'd rather not have.

arajca

Depending on how long until your renewal is, you can send a letter to the unit commander telling him you're taking a leave. Nothing fancy. If your renewal is in the next two months - and you don't plan to renew - just stop showing up. The three unexcused absences applies only to cadets.

A third option, transfer to another unit.

Grumpy

If I may ask, if you JUST joined a short time ago, why are you dropping out.  Is there something wrong here you are not talking about?  (You did indicate that you are non-confrontational.)

If that is the fact, and I say if, then talk to the Cmdr about it.  He/she can't fix it if he/she doesn't know it's broken.

Just wondering.  For all its faults, and as frustrated as I get with it, CAP is an outstanding organization and can always use the help of outstanding people such as yourself.

afgeo4

Have you considered transfering to another unit as an alternative to leaving CAP? I've found that most units are very different from each other and if you're not happy with how things are done in one, you may have better luck in another. Check out the 2nd closest squadron and see if you might be a better fit there.

If the problem is your current situation, just have that talk. Unit commanders are people too... and they're volunteers too... they get it.
GEORGE LURYE

star1151

Quote from: Grumpy on October 01, 2007, 02:24:47 PM
If I may ask, if you JUST joined a short time ago, why are you dropping out.  Is there something wrong here you are not talking about? 

Sure, if you consider having nothing to do something wrong.  I joined with the intention of eating up a bunch of time, and so far that hasn't happened.  Because of some politics, it doesn't look like that's something that's going to chance in the future, either.  That's sort of why I don't want to go to the unit commander OR change units.

Grumpy

That is why it takes people like yourself to make the difference.  Get on eservices and start surfing.  Go to the section regarding best practices and get some ideas.

I have no idea how long you've been a member but remember sometimes you have to circulate throughout your group, wing, and get to know people.  Get some ideas and bring them back to the squadron.

Use your squadron as a base to expand your horizons.  You will only get out of CAP what you put into it.
The program and the kids are worth the effort.

star1151

Quote from: Grumpy on October 01, 2007, 04:20:52 PM
I have no idea how long you've been a member but remember sometimes you have to circulate throughout your group, wing, and get to know people.  Get some ideas and bring them back to the squadron.

I've been in four months, which apparently is too soon to want to do anything of value.  I've tried to put into it, but it's just not happening - without going into details, lets just call it politics.  Instead of finding a niche for myself, I stepped on toes, so I don't think bringing ideas back is the thing to do...I want out.

jeders

Quote from: star1151 on October 01, 2007, 04:32:37 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on October 01, 2007, 04:20:52 PM

I've been in four months, which apparently is too soon to want to do anything of value.  I've tried to put into it, but it's just not happening - without going into details, lets just call it politics.  Instead of finding a niche for myself, I stepped on toes, so I don't think bringing ideas back is the thing to do...I want out.

Not knowing you or your squadron, I do have a few comments on this.

First of all you have to talk to those above you if you want to do something, even if it's just helping out with something menial. Whatever area of CAP you have an interest in, go talk to the officer charge of that and ask if there is anything you can do to help out. For example, if you want to do Aerospace Ed with cadets, got talk to the DCC or AE officer. If you want to do stuff with Emergency Services, go talk to the ES officer or Comm officer or training officer. Find what needs to be done and do it.

Second, if everyone is shutting you out because of politics, which it sounds like is what's happening from the way you're saying it, then i would suggest finding another unit in the area if there is one. I do understand though that there aren't always a plethora of CAP units in an area and this may not be a viable option. In the case that this isn't an option, and you do have time to eat up, ask the group commander if there are any jobs at the group level that you can get in on. These jobs usually involve more paperwork than actual regular CAP stuff, but can still be rewarding.

Third, if everyone is shutting you out, GO TALK TO THE SQUADRON COMMANDER. He/she may not know exactly what happening or that you are feeling slighted. Talk to the CC and find out if there's anything that can be done. I can't tell you how many things I've missed out on in life because I just let it happen instead of taking action. And remember, talking to someone doesn't have to be confrontational.

Finally, you say you've only been in for 4 months. If I were commander, in a squadron that had the basics covered, I probably wouldn't put you in a staff position either. As DCC I don't allow any new SM work with cadets til they've been in for 3-6 months and have a taste of following. I also don't let former cadets who just turned senior work with cadets for at least 6 months so they can get a taste of the senior program. If this is the case, and I sort of suspect it might be the actual case, then don't be offended. You need to talk to the commander and find out if this is the case and if so, just wait it out.

Now, if they are actually blocking you out just because of politics and after you talk to the commander and he still refuses to give you any responsibility, then go talk to the group commander about it and see what he might be able to do to help you. Because if people are actually keeping others out of positions of responsibility just because of favoritism or politics, then they're harming CAP in general and you not saying anything isn't helping us.

just my $.02
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

star1151

Quote from: jeders on October 01, 2007, 05:33:18 PM

I actually do hold a staff position, but one that doesn't actually require much.  And I'm fine with waiting around, but I'm never going to be ready for anything if I'm not learning anything.  So I doubt it's just that they're waiting until I've been in a while.

Plus, some comments have been made that have made me feel rather unwelcome.  I know it sounds like I'm not telling the whole story, and I'm not.  I don't really feel like airing dirty laundry on a public forum, especially in such a small community.  I just want to find the most appropriate way to get out of this.

Grumpy

RogueLeader

Quote from: star1151 on October 01, 2007, 05:47:48 PM
Quote from: jeders on October 01, 2007, 05:33:18 PM

I actually do hold a staff position, but one that doesn't actually require much.  And I'm fine with waiting around, but I'm never going to be ready for anything if I'm not learning anything.  So I doubt it's just that they're waiting until I've been in a while.

Plus, some comments have been made that have made me feel rather unwelcome.  I know it sounds like I'm not telling the whole story, and I'm not.  I don't really feel like airing dirty laundry on a public forum, especially in such a small community.  I just want to find the most appropriate way to get out of this.

Believe me, I know what you are feeling.  I had the same thing happen to me.  One thing I noticed is that you may get a "menial" job that does not take a lot of time, just so the CC can see how you react.  If you take it well, you may find yourself with numerous other jobs.  When I transfered to my current unit, I came with experience in PD, along with TCO.  Well, they had those slots filled.  So I took Admin.  I don't really care for Admin, but it needs done- so I do it.  Now I have six jobs.

The worst things a person can do is just sit on an issue, and not do anything.  There are ways to inquire about a situation and be non-confrontational about it.  It just might be that the CC doesn't know how you feel, or that there isn't another slot available for a while.  Again, it doesn't hurt to ask what needs done.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Sorry you had a bad experience - its not like that everywhere, but it >is< like that in too many places.

No one with only 4 months in should have a staff position, however we all do >that< too much too.

If you really want out, you merely need to stop attending meetings and find something else to do with your time.

No 2b, CC's approval, or otherwise is necessary.  Your membership will lapse, you will drop off the rosters, and no bridges will be burned. 

Should you want to rejoin again, you will simply need to redo the fingerprints and background check.

With only 4 months in, you likely have no grade or other achievements to preserve, so patron membership is
unnecessary, and if you did go that route and wanted to re-activate, you still have to do another background check with the conversion.

Forget about it, and move on...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2007, 05:08:53 PM
No one with only 4 months in should have a staff position, however we all do >that< too much too.

If that position is needed, and a new guys is placed there...it can only be sucessful if there is a strong mentoring from other memebers of from Group/Wing.  If not, it is burnout.

These forums, too, can be a great help.  In fact, aside from a few conflicts, most of what I learned of CAP I have picked up from advice from members here.

People like Bosshawk, Corway, Fairchild and Kach (and many more).
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

star1151

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 05:12:58 PM
These forums, too, can be a great help.  In fact, aside from a few conflicts, most of what I learned of CAP I have picked up from advice from members here.

I have learned a lot from just reading here, and that's great....but I also feel the need to post relatively anonymously just because of the issues I'm running into, and I know that hinders the advice I get.  The issues I'm running into span across several squadrons, actually, so that makes it even less appealing to ask the questions I want to.

And in response to the prior poster, you're right, I don't really have grade to preserve, but only because I have a mission skill appointment that isn't dependent on time in CAP.  Just disappearing to me is incredibly unprofessional and I'm not one to give up on things, but I don't see any other way. 

I might try another squadron, but it seems like there's a lot of politics at the squadron level in my group, so I'm not sure that would solve anything. 

Edited for typo that made no sense.

Major Carrales

Quote from: star1151 on October 07, 2007, 07:00:17 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 05:12:58 PM

I have learned a lot from just reading here, and that's great....but I also feel the need to post relatively anonymously just because of the issues I'm running into, and I know the hinders the advice I get.

And in response to the prior poster, you're right, I don't really have grade to preserve, but only because I have a mission skill appointment that isn't dependent on time in CAP.  Just disappearing to me is incredibly unprofessional and I'm not one to give up on things, but I don't see any other way. 

I might try another squadron, but it seems like there's a lot of politics at the squadron level in my group, so I'm not sure that would solve anything. 

I am not a fan of "posting anonymously,"  I have run into to many trolls.  Ours is an organization where we teach people to stand by their descisions and take responsibility, however we want to post without standing by it.

If you fear being "smacked down" by someone for something said/written/posted...don't say/write/post it.   Or, if you do, take cradit for it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454