Main Menu

Command Application

Started by IceNine, September 30, 2007, 06:15:22 PM

IceNine

So, there is a lot coming down the pipes these days and my CC just announced that there will be some changes of command happening one of them with his promotion to Group CC.

I want to command our unit, but there is some competition.  I figure my best chance is going to come from selling myself better than the others. 

I have started compiling my thoughts and goals should I be selected, and have created a CAP resume.  Is there anything I'm forgetting?  Does anyone have an example of an "command application" that you used?

I looked over the documents posted for the UCC and used those for my assesment.

Thanks all 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Competition to be the squadron commander?  Didn't know such a thing existed in CAP.   Usually it is the competition to avoid becoming squadron commander.

mikeylikey

Just talk to the soon to be Group Commander.  I hate to say it, but if he did not approach you when he learned he was going to Group, he probably has someone else in mind.
What's up monkeys?

Camas

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 30, 2007, 06:15:22 PM
I want to command our unit. I have started compiling my thoughts and goals should I be selected, and have created a CAP resume.  Is there anything I'm forgetting? 
I looked over the documents posted for the UCC and used those for my assesment.

I've never been a commander so I can't speak from experience.  However I'd like to share some observations if I may.  The UCC material will certainly help; if you've taken the course that has to be a plus.  Become familiar with as many specialties as you can.  You certainly don't have to hold a specialty track rating in everything but be somewhat knowledgeable about what's going on.  Be very attentive to the areas of logistics, finance and safety.  Delegate tasks by appointing responsible and competent personnel and when you command - command - don't try to run everything.  Set the example in appearance with proper uniforming and insist that from all unit members.  Don't get lax on appearance.  Set the example by pursuing opportunities in professional development such as SLS and CLC and emergency services such as GES and SET and perhaps a mission specialty.  Get your Yeager Award if you haven't done so already and encourage your senior members to do likewise. Can't think of anything else; I'm sure there are alot of former and present commanders who can share much more than I can.

jeders

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 30, 2007, 07:23:28 PM
Just talk to the soon to be Group Commander.  I hate to say it, but if he did not approach you when he learned he was going to Group, he probably has someone else in mind.

This is definitely true. When I volunteered to become the Commander at the squadron I'm at now, I was the only one to volunteer. However, I didn't get the job because I was newest to this squadron. Even though I've been in CAP for some years now and have a good bit of experience, I wasn't chosen because I was the new guy.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Stonewall

If you become CC, remember, when in charge, be in charge.
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

In addition to all the other advice, sit down and write a list of goals for the Squadron and than how you would implement the changes.

IE: 50% cadet attendance at encampment
      3 New Mitchell Awards
      25% of seniors to attend SLS
      25% of seniors to attend CLC
      5 Yeager Awards
Include a precis of what needs to change in the squadron, What is doing well.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on September 30, 2007, 08:21:58 PM

That means.......change all of the former Commanders policies, reorganize the unit within 24 hours.  Move pilots to non-flying slots, change the Cadet Commander out immediately, DONT do anything logistics related, just trust the outgoing Commander.  Sign as much paperwork as you possibly can.  If someone puts paper in your face, sign it.  Don't have a meeting with your Officers.  Don't invite a few Cadets to listen to what you think the SQD should be heading.

OH   WAIT......if you want to know what to really do, DONT DO ANYTHING I POSTED ABOVE. 

KIRT would be a good man to get PM'ing, IM'ing, emailing etc.  He has been there, and done it.  I would like to help, but well......if you are really desperate I guess I could share some insights in the process of change of command.
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 30, 2007, 11:42:30 PM
In addition to all the other advice, sit down and write a list of goals for the Squadron and than how you would implement the changes.

IE: 50% cadet attendance at encampment
      3 New Mitchell Awards
      25% of seniors to attend SLS
      25% of seniors to attend CLC
      5 Yeager Awards
Include a precis of what needs to change in the squadron, What is doing well.

Yes,

Set goals and try to reach them.  The back page of our unit's newsletter is where we put ours.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NEBoom

And take a few minutes to read this:  http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000081.html#000081  IMHO, this is a very good article that addresses some key things units need to understand.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Ricochet13

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 30, 2007, 07:23:28 PM

On the other hand, he may not have thought you wanted to command.  If you don't ask, the answer will always be NO.

A year down the road, six months even, something may change.  Let the soon-to-be Group CC know.

Ricochet13

One of my favorite movie lines . . . from Major Dundee . . . "I gave you an order Lieutenant!"  "No Sir, you gave me a Command, from then on I gave the orders".  "Have a cigar Lieutenant" ;D