What course would you make?

Started by RiverAux, September 29, 2007, 05:05:52 AM

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on October 01, 2007, 06:48:07 AM
I think your lack of BTDT is showing again.

My lack of what is showing again?

JC004

pixelwonk

the quote in your sig line is classic when you consider what you just posted.
Quote"Using past performance as a predictor for future performance is common.  It is also dangerous."
-One of my Professors

Grumpy

Quote from: ♠1 on October 01, 2007, 10:33:11 AM

Say what?  Looks nice.  I used to get the one above the red service ribbon mixed up with the AF Outstanding Unit award

Eagle400

Quote from: tedda on October 01, 2007, 01:45:32 PM
the quote in your sig line is classic when you consider what you just posted.
Quote"Using past performance as a predictor for future performance is common.  It is also dangerous."
-One of my Professors

Not really, since it refers to a different situation.  SarDragon wasn't questioning my ability to do things in the future, he was questioning my past accomplishments.  Go back and read the full dialogue between he and I.  It isin't that long.      

pixelwonk

It doesn't matter what your quote is in reference to.  It's still ironic.

Sardragon challenged the degree of your experience and all you can think of is posting your ribbon rack?  Is that what you'd chose to do if involved in a face to face conversation?

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eagle400

Quote from: tedda on October 01, 2007, 09:10:28 PM
Sardragon challenged the degree of your experience and all you can think of is posting your ribbon rack?  Is that what you'd chose to do if involved in a face to face conversation?

No.  I would summarize these achievements:

CAP

Group Cadet NCO of the Year

Group Cadet Officer of the Year

Graduate, RCLS (2001)

Group CAC Advisor

Search/Find Medal (non-distress find)

Earhart Award (#11826)

Honor Graduate, COS (2003)

Order of Daedalians Flight Scholarship

Commander's Commendation Award Medal (x2)

Encampment Medal (x4)

Air Force Association Outstanding CAP Squadron Cadet Officer Award

AFROTC

AS 100 Year Completed

Left: Medically disqualified from military service

Eagle400

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 01, 2007, 09:21:57 PM
Show him your rack Dave!

This is turning into a pissing contest, and I don't want to play.  I'm just sick and tired of being treated like I'm someone right off the street with no CAP experience simply because I'm no longer a member.   >:( 

pixelwonk

good. 
Now that you seem finished with listing your achievements, we can get back to topic.

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠1 on October 01, 2007, 10:33:11 AM

[image redacted]

Yup, nice rack. You have more cadet ribbons than I had. But guess what? It doesn't mean squat, because they are ALL cadet ribbons. There are no SM ribbons there that indicate any experience on "the dark side". That's how I can say you are lacking experience. Watching and doing are two different things, and all you've done so far is watching.

[now we return to our regularly scheduled programming]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Good OBS Dave, I didn't pay attention to what ribbons they were.  Only cadet ribbon you can wear as a senior is the highest earned or encampment if your were on staff.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Grumpy on October 01, 2007, 11:25:34 PM
Good OBS Dave, I didn't pay attention to what ribbons they were.  Only cadet ribbon you can wear as a senior is the highest earned or encampment if your were on staff.

Actually, the only ribbons that carry over to the dark side from former cadink service are the following:

CAP decorations
Highest cadet achievement award ribbon (+ silver star if a grad of COS (Mitchell or higher))
Red Service Ribbon
Find/SAR ribbon
IACE
NCSA
NCC/NCGC
CAC (with appropriate device - only if earned as a cadet)
Encampment
Recruiter (converts to Sr. Recruiter if 7+ recruited)

I probably forgot something...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

star1151

Why do we need to challenge the new folks right away.

Sorry to bump up an oldish post, but this really hit a nerve with me.  We need to challenge new folks so they don't feel like they're just sitting around doing nothing, unwanted and unneeded.  Clearly a new member isn't capable of actually doing anything useful and never will be until they get through some training.  Level I does NOT give enough information at all.  Maybe it's because I personally joined to give me something to do and something new to learn, but that's my take on it.

SarDragon

Quote from: star1151 on October 07, 2007, 03:32:11 PM

Why do we need to challenge the new folks right away.

Sorry to bump up an oldish post, but this really hit a nerve with me.  We need to challenge new folks so they don't feel like they're just sitting around doing nothing, unwanted and unneeded.  Clearly a new member isn't capable of actually doing anything useful and never will be until they get through some training.  Level I does NOT give enough information at all.  Maybe it's because I personally joined to give me something to do and something new to learn, but that's my take on it.

Please go back and read both my post, and the post I quoted, in their entirety.

I was questioning the suggestion that we send new SMs to a boot camp-like environment to provide their initial training. This level of challenge is neither necessary, nor possible, in today's volunteer environment.

PM me for more insight on the big picture.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

What course would I make?

I would create the "CAP politics and how to be a spot-light ranger, and screwer over of friends while at the same time getting donut juice all over your uniform while complaining about the newest uniform change, and how to yell at Cadets from across a room to make yourself look important because you don't do anything at the Squadron meetings anyway.

The course would include at no cost to the member:

1) 10 easy steps to getting your son/daughter promoted faster and further than anyone ever has.

2) The 25 minute plan on how to go behind your Squadron Commanders back and get him or her fired.

3) The quick start guide to not wearing your uniform properly

4) 150 excuses for not attending CAP activities when you are really needed

5) Instructional video on the proper way of overlooking Hazing

6) 300 different meanings of "CAP" (i.e. Come And Pay) pocket card

7) 17 ways to violate CAP Regulations cheat sheet

8.) The answers to the Air Command and Staff College examination provided by Florida Wing

9) The contact information of five lawyers so you can sue the organization

10) 10 ways to better sue the organization

11) How-to guide on denying O-flights to Cadets (the extra easy way)

12) Quick start guide to choosing the right donut and coffee mug for weekly meetings.

All if this for $129.99      ACT NOW......OPERATORS ARE not STANDING BY!!!
What's up monkeys?

arajca

Moving back the real topic...
I have several courses in mind. They tend to revolve around Professional Dvelopment or Communications. One I am working on is a one-hour "How to Direct a Course" course for presentation at the next COWG conf.

mikeylikey

Quote from: arajca on October 08, 2007, 03:30:46 AM
Moving back the real topic...
I have several courses in mind. They tend to revolve around Professional Development or Communications. One I am working on is a one-hour "How to Direct a Course" course for presentation at the next COWG conf.

OMG!  I can hear it now..........."Gentleman....please plan to attend the How to Direct a Course Course before directing your next course.  Those that can't make the Directing a Course Course can attend the Course Directors presentation on Directing Courses at the end of the current course.  For those of you who have already taken the Directing a Course Course would be more than welcome to directing the How to Direct a Course Course at next months workshop" 

What's up monkeys?

arajca

Believe it or not, I am serious. I have had several folks ask me how to meet the "direct a course" requirement. I have also had a few tell me they'd be interested in directing courses, if they knew how. 

Cecil DP

"This is turning into a pissing contest, and I don't want to play.  I'm just sick and tired of being treated like I'm someone right off the street with no CAP experience simply because I'm no longer a member."   

As you stated, you're no longer a member. You finished your Cadet career and decided that you didn't want to participate as a senior member. But you do want to kibitz from the sidelines about what CAP should or shouldn't do. Your cadet resume is above average, but not extraordinary in relation to what many other people on this board have done, and are still doing. If you learned anything in your 9 months of AFROTC, it should have been led from the front, not from the sidelines.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85