Main Menu

THe Next Iowa Commander

Started by isuhawkeye, September 03, 2007, 09:49:34 PM

isuhawkeye

Lets try this again.

As you may know Col. Tomlinson is ending his time out in front of the Iowa Wing. 

Col.  Fegan is now in the process of accepting applications, and appointing a selection board. 

If you were in a position to advise the board what aspects of our program would you make sure the board knew about?

What would you tell a board member who knew nothing about the Iowa plan?

Pylon

I am not a member of Iowa Wing and I do not profess to know every detail of the IAWG plan, but knowing it's unique position, I certainly know that it would be important to select an individual who was fully on board with continuing the current IAWG direction and plan.

One important consideration is the continuity of Iowa Wing.  In other words, in the eyes of the TAG, IAWG CAP shouldn't change in any significant way because of a routine change of command.  The next commander should be posed to continue the same relations with the IANG and the TAG and demonstrate that the IAWG plan is bigger than just a few key people.

Successful seamless transition will also demonstrate longevity in the event that one or more key people to the IAWG plan are suddenly incapacitated or otherwise suddenly unavailable to serve. 

A transition plan may even be necessary, even if only a few pages long, to ensure that an incoming commander - no matter how in or out of the "loop" on the plan - is able to become fully aware of the status of the wing, the norms of his or her duties (i/e: what goes on in weekly meeting with the TAG, or what types of routine communications he or she should expect to receive, what things are routinely approved, etc.), and any other gems of wisdom.  Incoming and outgoing wing commander should work collaboratively during the remaining tenure of the outgoing commander.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

I would tell tell the Board that the Iowa Plan is as follows:
1- To Standardize ES training throughout the Wing
2- Instill Core Values, and initial Training Via the WTA
3- Promote networking and trust among members through the Wing
4- Be relevant to the State by actively pursuing missions with HLSEM
5- Work to better relationship with AF, even at the cost of own money.
6- Better relationship with State by filling a needed role.
7- Actually fulfilling obligations about operational activities.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ZigZag911

What you have done successfully in Iowa Wing -- partnership with the National Guard & the state government -- has important consequences for CAP across the nation.

You've created a model, a paradigm, of one very effective way to accomplish this.

While it may not translate directly to any other wing, the bedrock principles on which it is based -- the wing as a single team, working together in cooperation with the home state & its National Guard, further harmonizing its activities with the surrounding wings -- provides a road map of how to do this throughout the nation.

It is, in fact, a true return to CAP's historic roots in Civil Defense, a clear blueprint for how we can participate in and strengthen efforts at homeland security.

This is why it is essential that the next Iowa Wing CC be an officer familiar with and supportive of the work that has been done in the past several years.....someone who shares this vision and will do all possible to carry it forward.

IceNine

Well put,
  all too often commanders are abruptly removed/resign from office.  The joy of having the IAWG CC term out is they have the benefit of phasing him out.  If I were taking over I would ask the current CC to stay on board as a wing advisor, and maybe even keep him as a type of liaison. 

I think the new guy has a fairly large learning curve to overcome considering this plan is VERY unique.  But, if it works it could end up changing CAP as we know it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

Lt Col. Critelli put out a letter today removing him from consideration as Iowa's next wing Commander.  Many members were taken off guard, by this announcement.  To date No candidates have made a public announcement of their intent to be selected.   

With out the possibility of a Chief of staff, or a vice commander following Col. Tomlinson.  the question must be asked. 

What skill set would you desire from a wing commander, and what program experience should that person have. 

Is a pilot, or Operations person a better pick, or would an AE or logistics back ground be preferred?   

IceNine

I think you're going  to wind up with one of those special situations when there are no logical solutions (CV, CS) to take over, and the region commander will send down one of his trusted staff to, in the interim, take care of the wing.  I've seen that happen more than once
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

RogueLeader

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 06, 2007, 11:42:14 AM
Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

It Depends on what they think of the IAWG model.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

You could ask the LTC from 043, that was the Previous CV to be WG/CC.  I know that he would do a good job.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Nick Critelli

Captalk:

I got up this morning and found 52 e-mails reacting  to isuhawkeye's 11:33 pm posting.  CapTalk people don't sleep. Thank you for your support and the kind words. Some had interesting conspiracy theories others were downright angry with me for "killing any chance CAP" may have had to become a credible organization.  (Thank you for your confidence but  you may have overstated it just a little)

IAWG as transformed will survive and grow better ONLY if the people of IAWG take ownership.  I have confidence that they will not allow those GoB  forces to return and revert IAWG back to its hanger club status.

There are several good people in IAWG who share the vision and have the ability to lead. Now that I am out of  the way they'll  have no excuse for not stepping forward.

Attached is my letter which explains why I had to do what I did. 

Nick Critelli

MidwaySix

Nick,

Having been lucky enough to have the chance to spend a short time visiting the Team in Iowa, and speaking with you at length about the transformation that you've lead there... I figured you to be a natural for the post of Wing Commander.

...if I had a say in any of this, I'd suggest BG Courter tap you for National Vice Commander, or better yet, National Chief of Staff.

If you could do for NHQ what you've done for Iowa Wing, the organization would be in a better place.

s/v,

Midway Six
CAPblog
Always Vigilant - Never Boring.
http://capblog.typepad.com/

Skyray

I like what Midway has to say.  You and General Courter should start a dynasty.  There are some of us out here who are tired of the Knoxville Mafia with its Florida sub-unit.  Who knows, in ten years or so you may be able to clean up some of the damage.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

TDHenderson

Well, it is pretty obvious now that the #1 thing the next Iowa Wing Commander will need is support, plenty of it.  We all need to step-up and aid him/her through this and keep the ball centered.

But to answer your question, Hawkeye, Iowa needs someone who will bring the Cadet and AE side of the house up to par with Operations.  Ops has put the Wing "on the map".  Now it's time to keep it there.  

RogueLeader

Quote from: MidwaySix on September 06, 2007, 01:32:02 PM

...if I had a say in any of this, I'd suggest BG Courter tap you for National Vice Commander, or better yet, National Chief of Staff.

Ummmm.  She can't.  She's the Vice Commander, unless you know something we don't.  Shes not even the ACTING National Commander.  She just has the duties thereof.

BTW, Even though the IAWG has done very well in the past few years, that does not mean that all the change in IAWG will work well in all of CAP.  Not to mention that it took Iowa FOUR years to get where they are now.  How long do you think it would take to get all 51 other wings there?  Many more than the One is permitted for CAP/CV.  Of course, he could be re-elected.  Then again, term limits.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 06, 2007, 02:39:24 PM
Shes not even the ACTING National Commander.  She just has the duties thereof.

Off topic (and I hate to derail topics), but General Courter has had "Acting National Commander" in her signature line on several official documents, including the memoradum from NHQ I just received in the mail about National Open House Month.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP