Advanced Grade from Prior NCO Service

Started by DrDave, August 28, 2007, 02:42:44 PM

DrDave

I have a new member who's joined and is a retired Army E5.

I seem to remember the National Board approving advanced CAP grade for these former NCO's, can anyone point me in the right direction for that new policy?

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Stonewall

CAPR 35-5 only states something along these lines regarding Warrant Officers.

CWO Grade     CAP Grade Authorized
CWO 1 or 2     First Lieutenant
CWO 3           Captain
CWO 4 or 5     Major

Rank isn't affected, however Professional Development courses may be waived for certain military professional education courses.  For instance, I believe NCO Academy courses such as PLDC, ALS, or the Navy/Marine Corps' version of these course may be done in lieu of ECI-13.  And I think the higher the NCO course, the higher the CAP PD course may be waived.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Here, did a little research in reference to PME in lieu of CAP PD requirements.

NOTE:  To answer your question, no, there is no advance promotion due solely to being a prior E-5 in the military.

If he has proof of PLDC or BNCOC, he is exempt from CAP Officers Course, but that's it.

CAPR 50-17, Page 26, Attch 2:

MILITARY EDUCATION QUALIFYING AS EQUIVALENT TO CAP SENIOR OFFICER COURSE, REGION STAFF COLLEGE AND NATIONAL STAFF COLLEGE

NOTE: Equivalencies must be no older than 20 years from the time of initial application.

Equivalent to CAP Senior Officer Course

Code Z Any US Armed Forces NCO Academy (Pay Grades E-5 - E-6) or equivalent, resident or
correspondence.

Equivalent to CAP Senior Officer Course/Region Staff College

Code P Any US Armed Forces Senior NCO Academy (Pay Grades E-7 - E-9), resident or
correspondence.

Code W USAF Squadron Officer School, USA Basic/Advance Officer Courses or USN, USMC,
USCG equivalent, resident or correspondence

Code V All Service Academies, ROTC, OCS, or OTS

Code X Any US Armed Forces Command and Staff College, resident, seminar, or correspondence

Code T Any US Armed Forces War College, resident, seminar, or correspondence

Equivalent to National Staff College

Code P Any US Armed Forces Senior NCO Academy (Pay Grades E-7 - E-9), resident or
correspondence

Code X Any US Armed Forces Command and Staff College, resident, seminar, or correspondence

Code T Any US Armed Forces War College, resident, seminar, or correspondence

Note: To determine if other military courses apply as equivalencies, contact NHQ CAP/ETP with course information (name, course number, location, number of hours, completion date, etc.). Equivalencies may only be used one time. To apply for an equivalency, attach a copy of diploma or other proof of course completion (DD Fm 214) to a letter mailed or faxed to NHQ CAP/ETP. Equivalencies should be requested as soon as possible after becoming a CAP member.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Question......I received credit for Senior Officer course by way of ROTC.  I received credit for Region Staff College by way of my Captains Career Course (USA Advanced Course).  So is there a limit to the amount of equivalency credits you can request.  I read down below that only one equivalency, is that per military PME taken, or are you only allowed one total waiver the entire time you are in CAP. 
I am probably reading to far into it!
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

IceNine

Correct you slipped through somehow.  You are only allowed to use one PME for CAP equivalency.  The way it should be done to ensure that you get what you earned is to put in for the highest course available at the beginning and then be done with it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ddelaney103

Negative - the line "Equivalencies may only be used one time" refers to classes that can be used for more than one level: i.e. you can use SNCOA to skip either NSC or RSC, but not both.

If this weren't  the case, you wouldn't be able to take both ACSC and AWC for your stars on the ribbons w/o also taking an RSC or NSC to get the ribbon.

afgeo4

The member may enjoy the "advanced" grade of SSgt or become a senior member without grade.
GEORGE LURYE

Sgt. Savage

The august 2006 NB passed the advanced promotion of Senior NCOs so that E-7 = 1Lt, E-8 = Capt and E-9 = Maj.

It's in a reg somewhere now?

DrDave

August 2006 National Board, thanks!

Seems he's SOL as an E5 ... will have to do it the old fashioned way instead! :)

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

afgeo4

What about not having advanced promotion to an Officer grade is SOL for a Staff Sergeant? Did he like taking the express train to paperworkville in the Army too? I'd think he'd be proud of being an NCO since he retired as one. Proud enough to take the SSgt grade in CAP. Even if he wants an officer grade... SOL? I don't think so. He has to earn it like everyone else. We may give away ribbons like it's no one's business, but grade usually has to be earned.
GEORGE LURYE

Sgt. Savage

afgeo4

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 28, 2007, 04:35:50 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on August 28, 2007, 04:32:08 PM
, but grade usually has to be earned.

LMAO RAOFLH :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I'm sorry... what about regulations makes you laugh? There are TIG, TIS and Courses that have to be taken to earn most grades in CAP. The exclusions are made for pilots, doctors, lawyers, and chaplains, just like in the military.

Are they as hard to earn as military grade? Umm no, but they do have to be earned in their own way.
GEORGE LURYE

ddelaney103

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 28, 2007, 04:43:40 PM

I'm sorry... what about regulations makes you laugh? There are TIG, TIS and Courses that have to be taken to earn most grades in CAP. The exclusions are made for pilots, doctors, lawyers, and chaplains, just like in the military.

Are they as hard to earn as military grade? Umm no, but they do have to be earned in their own way.

Warming a chair at a couple of weekend classes you can't fail, logging some time as Asst AE Officer and paying your dues on time does not equal "earning."  It certainly does not equal the amount of work involved in becoming an E-5.

It hard not to laugh when the "high horse" some people get on in CAP actually sits outside the supermarket and takes quarters for rides.

Stonewall

I understand what afgeo4 is saying and I also understand that earning CAP rank isn't rocket science.

My silver oakleaf and $9.00 can get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but the fact is, I didn't just show up to meetings and get promoted.  There are steps to follow, requirements to meet, responsibilities to hold and time to serve.  I realize a monkey can do all of those things, but nonetheless, they are standards.

I agree, some folks go so far as to consider themselves as being owed salutes by military enlisted members and of course, people do sit on top of an imaginary "high horse".  I think that happens in all programs and organizations where there is a rank structure.  It's just important that we severely beat those that do so educate them...
Serving since 1987.

ddelaney103

True, but saying to an E-5 "you have to earn this - we don't give out grade to just anyone" is a bit of black humor because we do that so very much.

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on August 28, 2007, 05:11:12 PM
I understand what afgeo4 is saying and I also understand that earning CAP rank isn't rocket science.

My silver oakleaf and $9.00 can get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but the fact is, I didn't just show up to meetings and get promoted.  There are steps to follow, requirements to meet, responsibilities to hold and time to serve.  I realize a monkey can do all of those things, but nonetheless, they are standards.

I agree, some folks go so far as to consider themselves as being owed salutes by military enlisted members and of course, people do sit on top of an imaginary "high horse".  I think that happens in all programs and organizations where there is a rank structure.  It's just important that we severely beat those that do so educate them...

This monkey only paid $7.79 for his latte, so HA!
GEORGE LURYE

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 28, 2007, 04:43:40 PM

I'm sorry but, All you have to do is show up and **PING** you're an officer. Pick a specialty, go to SLS, have a job, which you don't have to do, and **Kazam!** your promoted.

If you're really special, you Go from Capt>>>>>>> Col (read as Wing King) because you knew which elbows to rub. Pilots, teachers, doctors, medics, nurses, lawyers..... I imagine that the whole entire class of Advaced Appointment individuals might just be 50% of all of our members. That makes the easy promotion idea a little more credible.

I say stick with your NCO grade. At that point, rank becomes a lot less important since you can't promote.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: DrDave on August 28, 2007, 02:42:44 PM
I have a new member who's joined and is a retired Army E5.

I seem to remember the National Board approving advanced CAP grade for these former NCO's, can anyone point me in the right direction for that new policy?

Thanks,
Dr. Dave

I know what you are talking about. It was discussed a few months back. The idea was to increase recruiting figures by throwing SNCOs a carrot E7 2nd Lt. E8 got 1st Lt and E-9s got Capt. (after lvl one and CPPT)

Then CAP had a "CAP Command Chief Master Sgt" come on the scene. He was from
Iowa I believe and convinced NHQ to squash the above plan while he tried to increase support for a "CAP NCO Corps" - not sure how he faired and I havent seen him on Captalk in ages (ask the Iowa guys)
Anyway when he showed up the advanced promotions went away.
So as of now- no soap.

I have a retired Army Command Sgt. Maj. and he was (for a time) mad as hades upset when he found out he couldnt make Capt.
But then I got his PME processed, he took ECI-13 and SLS/CLC and he made Capt the normal way.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DHollywood

Quote from: Stonewall on August 28, 2007, 05:11:12 PM
My silver oakleaf and $9.00 can get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks,

I often stop at Starbucks on my to and from various CAP meetings/activities in uniform and I haven't been able to pay for my own coffee in several months.....   seems there are a lot of Patriots that visit Starbucks!  
account deleted by member