Main Menu

CyberPatriot Badge

Started by HorseGirlUDI, March 22, 2018, 12:36:29 AM

HorseGirlUDI

Hi! I competed in CyberPatriots last year, and I'm wondering where I should put the CyberPatriot badge. Does anyone know?

Eclipse

Can you please provide a link to, or a photo of, the badge you're referring to?

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Sorry, but that is a lapel pin that is not authorized for wear with CAP uniforms.  NHQ is working on some sort of cyber badge but there's no telling when or if it may be authorized.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

HorseGirlUDI

Oh, ok. Thank you!

Also, do you know if I can wear the Cadet of the Quarter shoulder cord at Drill and Ceremonies Academy?

kwe1009

Quote from: HorseGirlUDI on March 22, 2018, 12:54:35 AM
Oh, ok. Thank you!

Also, do you know if I can wear the Cadet of the Quarter shoulder cord at Drill and Ceremonies Academy?

No idea.  That is a great question for your Squadron's Deputy Commander for Cadets though.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: NC Hokie on March 22, 2018, 12:50:08 AM
Sorry, but that is a lapel pin that is not authorized for wear with CAP uniforms.  NHQ is working on some sort of cyber badge but there's no telling when or if it may be authorized.

Correct; we're working on it!

http://www.cap-cyber.org/index.php/initiatives/cadet-cyber-badge
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

xray328

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 22, 2018, 12:08:05 PM

Geez, I know it's not at the top of their priority list but why does something like this take so darn long? You guys have been trying to get this approved for years.  You'd think they'd want to get as much light as possible on anything to do with youth and cyber defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Creed III

Quote from: xray328 on March 22, 2018, 02:45:58 PM

Geez, I know it's not at the top of their priority list but why does something like this take so darn long? You guys have been trying to get this approved for years.  You'd think they'd want to get as much light as possible on anything to do with youth and cyber defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members of the NHQ Cyber team are meeting with Brig Gen Phelka at NHQ next month. We have a plan to present :)

GroundHawg

99.99% of the time, I am in the no new badges crowd. This however is the future, and these badges along with remote pilot wings need to happen sooner than later. Please keep us up to date on this Sir!

Eclipse

CAP doesn't have "remote pilots", and won't likely ever in the sense that wings would be justified.

In this case, the proposal is akin to a cadet specialty track, and while I would have no issue with a
specialty-track style badge, it doesn't rise to the level of an MOS-style badge.  Those are for
operational qualifications, and CAP is never going to have Cadet Cyber Operations, let alone adult ones.

A CyberPatriot-specific ribbon, perhaps with an attachment to denote various levels of wins, would be more
then enough and appropriate, especially considering the very small group of members who participate and / or
are even interested.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2018, 04:45:10 PM
CAP doesn't have "remote pilots", and won't likely ever in the sense that wings would be justified.

In this case, the proposal is akin to a cadet specialty track, and while I would have no issue with a
specialty-track style badge, it doesn't rise to the level of an MOS-style badge.  Those are for
operational qualifications, and CAP is never going to have Cadet Cyber Operations, let alone adult ones.

A CyberPatriot-specific ribbon, perhaps with an attachment to denote various levels of wins, would be more
then enough and appropriate, especially considering the very small group of members who participate and / or
are even interested.

There is a specialty track-style badge currently in development rather than the wings-style as posted on cap-cyber and there's a competition ribbon in development as well (http://www.cap-cyber.org/index.php/initiatives/cyber-competition-ribbon).

Luis R. Ramos

If this info re the ribbon is dated 2015, is it still under consideration?

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 22, 2018, 06:09:53 PM
If this info re the ribbon is dated 2015, is it still under consideration?

I have not heard anything to indicate that it has been removed from consideration (although the current rev of the proposal for the cadet cyber badge includes a competition component).

Luis R. Ramos

Could it be those "powers that be" are waiting to see how popular CyberPatriot is, or may become?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 22, 2018, 06:42:10 PM
Could it be those "powers that be" are waiting to see how popular CyberPatriot is, or may become?

They are fully aware of how popular CyberPatriot is.

The NHQ cyber team is charged with creating an entire framework of cadet cyber which is being drafted now for presentation next month.

Sriracha

Quote from: HorseGirlUDI on March 22, 2018, 12:36:29 AM
Hi! I competed in CyberPatriots last year, and I'm wondering where I should put the CyberPatriot badge. Does anyone know?

I know which badge you're talking about. I know it's authorized for JROTC, but not CAP. 39-1 has no mention of it, so I wouldn't wear it.

CAPLTC

We totally will some day soon.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPLTC on March 30, 2018, 12:28:56 AM

We totally will some day soon.

Not likely, and certainly not "soon" - the FAA isn't going to budge on the "line-of-sight" rules
for the kinds of UAVs CAP will have access to any time soon, and by the time it does, and
then CAP decides to get involved, the conversation will most likely be moot.

Autonomous devices will replace the Mark 1 eyeball for AP type missions, and it won't need to be CAP
running them.  Your local EMA or municipality will have their own devices, purchased with one grant or
another, plot the course in the cloud and an hour later the whole town will be mosaic'ed, not to mention
some devices doing real-time video.

When L-O-S falls, the Predator civilian variants (H or J by then?) will take up the slack for AP and SAR
in a hurry.

As discussed many times before, this isn't the Jetsons, the tech for this already exists, it's just a
matter of iterations and evolution.

"That Others May Zoom"