What contributes to the retention rate? (Split from The Command Chief thread)

Started by NIN, February 18, 2018, 08:32:43 PM

NIN

Quote from: Cicero on February 19, 2018, 04:09:48 PM
Anecdotally I am told HS students are our largest segment of cadets. Am in process of gathering data and will report results when complete. But of the last 6 months cadets entering that I know almost all have been either private or home schooled.

That may be the case in your neck of the woods, but is not the case nationally.

It is certainly true that the homeschool'd cadet segment is growing. But they are not the "majority" of our cadets.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

About one in 8 middle and HS students are in not government schools (private and HS), and that slice of the population continues to rise. The larger population of school aged kids is likely to shrink over the next decade.

See https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/pss/tables/table_whs_01.asp for private school data.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2018, 04:31:28 PM
Anecdotally I am told HS students are our largest segment of cadets. Am in process of gathering data and will report results when complete. But of the last 6 months cadets entering that I know almost all have been either private or home schooled.

That may be the case in your neck of the woods, but is not the case nationally.

It is certainly true that the homeschool'd cadet segment is growing. But they are not the "majority" of our cadets.
Not surprising.  But for such a small percentage of students (see below) they are significantly over represented in our local membership and probably yours as well.
The new report concludes that approximately 1,770,000 students are homeschooled in the United States—3.4% of the school-age population. NCES said that among children who were homeschooled, 68 percent are white, 15 percent are Hispanic, 8 percent are black, and 4 percent are Asian or Pacific Islander.Sep 3, 2013

More data at: http://www.capenet.org/facts.html

OldGuy

I will bet you at least a small coffee that retention is much higher in HS student populations. More parental engagement, fewer "distractions" are both very real retention factors.

BTW getting an active "parents club" is part of my mid-term goal for our unit.

TX CAP Mom

Quote from: Cicero on February 19, 2018, 04:45:55 PM
I will bet you at least a small coffee that retention is much higher in HS student populations. More parental engagement, fewer "distractions" are both very real retention factors.

BTW getting an active "parents club" is part of my mid-term goal for our unit.

Our squadron is heavy on the homeschoolers. But then, so is Texas. I'm a homeschool mom. I agree wholeheartedly about more parental engagement and fewer distractions. Even if a homeschool kid is in several activities, because they aren't at school until 5pm there are still hours in the day for CAP.

I wish we had a "parents club"! Hmmmmmm

As for where to find the homeschoolers, I would first take to Facebook. Your town probably has a Facebook group (or 7)  for the homeschoolers in your area. Google and FB search  "homeschooling in ________" and see what comes up.

NIN

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2018, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: Cicero on February 19, 2018, 05:07:15 AM
They are our largest demographic.

Define.
Anecdotally I am told HS students are our largest segment of cadets.

By HS of course, you mean "Home Schooled" not "High School."

Because, generally, when you say "HS Student" anyplace in the US, you mean "High School."

QuoteAm in process of gathering data and will report results when complete. But of the last 6 months cadets entering that I know almost all have been either private or home schooled.

I'll save you some work:

Of the 15,548 cadets who have applied to CAP nationwide since the inception of the Online Application system, only 23.4% said they were home schooled.

Maybe you're seeing a higher number in your area (I'm not entirely sure what my number is but if I had to peg it, its 25-30%.. so yeah, higher as well), but nationally its less than 1 in 4.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on February 20, 2018, 09:15:48 PM

Of the 15,548 cadets who have applied to CAP nationwide since the inception of the Online Application system, only 23.4% said they were home schooled.

Its all in your perspective. You say "only" 23.4 percent.  But I see that as a huge segment of our Cadets.  ;)

And a segment of the population of kids nationwide that hasn't been anywhere near fully marketed to. Huge room for growth there.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2018, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: Cicero on February 19, 2018, 05:07:15 AM
They are our largest demographic.

Define.
Anecdotally I am told HS students are our largest segment of cadets.

By HS of course, you mean "Home Schooled" not "High School."

Because, generally, when you say "HS Student" anyplace in the US, you mean "High School."

QuoteAm in process of gathering data and will report results when complete. But of the last 6 months cadets entering that I know almost all have been either private or home schooled.

I'll save you some work:

Maybe you're seeing a higher number in your area (I'm not entirely sure what my number is but if I had to peg it, its 25-30%.. so yeah, higher as well), but nationally its less than 1 in 4.
Yes in context that use of HS was HomeSchooled. And 23.4% is more than 12 time their representation in the larger population, so that is not big, it is HUUUGE! Further, I suspect that our penetration into that market segment is tiny, leaving us a giant room for growth.

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on February 20, 2018, 10:24:34 PM

Its all in your perspective. You say "only" 23.4 percent.  But I see that as a huge segment of our Cadets.  ;)

And a segment of the population of kids nationwide that hasn't been anywhere near fully marketed to. Huge room for growth there.
Exactly! I agree.