Top official resigns after false missile alert in Hawaii

Started by OldGuy, January 30, 2018, 11:05:20 PM

OldGuy

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/human-error-inadequate-safeguards-blamed-162153888.html

The fallout came the same day the Federal Communications Commission revealed that the worker who pushed out the alert thought an actual attack was imminent. It was the first indication the Jan. 13 alert was purposely sent, adding another level of confusion to the misstep that left residents and tourists believing their lives were about to end.

PHall

The Warning Officer who sent the alert has been fired. Not the first time he has been confused about Exercise messages.

Geber

Quote from: PHall on January 31, 2018, 01:54:51 AM
The Warning Officer who sent the alert has been fired. Not the first time he has been confused about Exercise messages.

Long ago I created a personal policy that if there were a real event, I would never use the word "drill". If someone were to ask me "Is this a drill" my reply would be something like "This is a real world event. I refuse to say the word that starts with d. Do not use the word that starts with d during this real event!."

I have read that CAP uses, among other things, the phrase "no play" to indicate an event is real. It would be a sound policy to never use the word "play" during an exercise. That way, if the word "no" is unreadable, the word that is heard alone is sufficient to classify the situation:

If I hear "exercise" or "drill" it's a drill.

If I hear "real", "authentic", "genuine", or "play" it's real.

Blanding

Quote from: Geber on January 31, 2018, 04:12:41 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 31, 2018, 01:54:51 AM

If I hear "real", "authentic", "genuine", or "play" it's real.

I'd hate to not have a chat with whatever committee didn't decide not to use no play to signal that we were not passing exercise traffic.

OldGuy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5335047/Hawaii-missile-employee-confused-drills-reality-before.html

As part of it, a recording was played through a speakerphone at the State Warning Point which included the words 'this is not a drill'.

That was not meant to be played but it was played alongside the drill recording which said 'exercise' six times.

The employee said he did not hear 'exercise' and only focused on 'this is not a drill' so pushed the button to send out the alert.