Main Menu

Visit from the Black Van

Started by sardak, April 08, 2007, 06:20:01 AM

sardak

This was in my email tonight.

To: <me>

Subject: Duty Assignment

Date: Saturday, April 07, 2007 13:52:51

Please do not reply to this email.  You have just been assigned to duty position Emergency Services Officer at level (WG)-001 by (redacted). The assignor can be reached at : (redacted)

My unit number has not changed in E-Services, but suddenly I have a stack of requests in the "Ops Quals Approvals Waiting" from the noted wing.

Has this replaced communications at the local level?  Nothing from the commander(s), CS, DO, DOS, or the "assignor," by email, phone or in person.  I think I know what this is about, but why not ask me first, and at least say something to me if it's going to be done without asking.

I had something similar happen before.  One day a new ID card showed up in the mail.  I didn't notice the new unit number on the card until 3 days later.

Oh well, lots of emails to send and phone calls to make tomorrow.

Mike

SarDragon

Welcome to IAOD (In Addition to Other Duties). A member can be assigned a wing staff position without being assigned to the wing HQ. At least a third of the CAWG wing staff is assigned to units other than CA-001. You must be on someones favored list to get this job. Wear it well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

I had something like that sent to me about a month back...

I showed it to my commander and forgot about it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I'd say that its more than a little unusual for anyone to do this without speaking to you first.  I know I wouldn't assign someone such a critical position without asking them if they wanted to do it in the first place. 

JC004

I had a member forward me one of those e-mails.  It said that I assigned her as PAO for a given squadron.  I did not, and it happened after I left as Group Personnel Officer and no longer had the restricted application.  This was about 3 weeks ago.

You know...I keep seeing one of these going around my block.  I guess I should load my guns.

mikeylikey

^  I think that is the van that ran over my neighbors dog! :'(
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 08, 2007, 05:55:20 PM

Did it have a tag like this?

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 08, 2007, 05:58:52 PM

That's the one that hand delivered a "ceist and desist" letter for selling things that weren't from vanguard.  They are so touchy!!!!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

You sure it wasn't this van?

From I understand they need a new leader to run the "team".  You must be willing to wear black gloves regardless of the temperature and have a cigar dangling form your mouth as you say "I love it when a plan comes together".
Serving since 1987.

stillamarine

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 08, 2007, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 08, 2007, 05:58:52 PM

That's the one that hand delivered a "ceist and desist" letter for selling things that weren't from vanguard.  They are so touchy!!!!

Hmm someone should tell them their tag is expired!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

lordmonar

Quote from: Stonewall on April 08, 2007, 08:01:11 PM

From I understand they need a new leader to run the "team".  You must be willing to wear black gloves regardless of the temperature and have a cigar dangling form your mouth as you say "I love it when a plan comes together".

I don't qualify.  I can hit a target at 10 meters.   :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

alexalvarez

I saw a van like that in my neighborhood last week. It also had flames painted on the sides.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Pylon

Quote from: alexalvarez on April 08, 2007, 11:25:14 PM
I saw a van like that in my neighborhood last week. It also had flames painted on the sides.

Those flames are the vehicular version of "farts n' darts."   Be careful.  If it had three sets of flames....   :o >:D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Is that the van that has the m-2b cannons on board?  Cause that's what I heard.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

sschwab

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 10, 2007, 05:26:25 PM

No I think it is a ground team, 4 members, a ground team leader, plenty of gear.  The regular military is alway trying to get rid of them.  One problem, it looks like a sunny day, and they have a pilot, so why aren't they in a 182?

----
2LT Schwab
Gateway Sqd.  Missouri Wing

RogueLeader

Quote from: sschwab on April 10, 2007, 07:17:04 PM

No I think it is a ground team, 4 members, a ground team leader, plenty of gear.  The regular military is alway trying to get rid of them.  One problem, it looks like a sunny day, and they have a pilot, so why aren't they in a 182?

----
2LT Schwab
The 182 is down for it's 100hr eval.
And just who or what is the RealMilitary trying to get rid of?  The gear or the GT?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 10, 2007, 07:25:08 PM
Quote from: sschwab on April 10, 2007, 07:17:04 PM

----
2LT Schwab
The 182 is down for it's 100hr eval.
And just who or what is the RealMilitary trying to get rid of?  The gear or the GT?

It's either wind conditions or the fact that one can't get B.A. and Faceman in a 182's cramped interior, especially since B.A. won't fly while conscious. Definite weight limitations too. I would suggest getting the GA8 for this mission.
GEORGE LURYE

ColonelJack

Would you want to be in a 182 with Howlin' Mad Murdoch?????

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

isuhawkeye

hey. 

you might want to slow down.  some of these young kids might not know who you are talking about

arajca

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 10, 2007, 10:39:43 PM
Would you want to be in a 182 with Howlin' Mad Murdoch?????

Jack
Murdoch, sure. At least Murdoch is only annoying. BA, on the other hand...can you imagine the results if he came to whilist at 10,000 agl?

sardak

The black van returned today, or so I was told.  I don't remember.  Witnesses say two men in suits jumped out, zapped me with some flashy thing, then ran back to the van and took off.  Something about being late for an intergalactic kegger.

Anyway, no changes in anyone's staff positions or functions.  Wing was doing some administrative cleaning and didn't realize it was going to trigger the email from NHQ.

I can go back to my advisor/consultant/PITA role.

Mike

RogueLeader

Quote from: sardak on April 11, 2007, 01:56:27 AM
The black van returned today, or so I was told.  I don't remember.  Witnesses say two men in suits jumped out, zapped me with some flashy thing, then ran back to the van and took off.  Something about being late for an intergalactic kegger.

Anyway, no changes in anyone's staff positions or functions.  Wing was doing some administrative cleaning and didn't realize it was going to trigger the email from NHQ.

I can go back to my advisor/consultant/PITA role.

Mike
The flashy thing is their new To Be Tazer, it just didn't work right, because they forgot to bypass the by-laws as usual.  So I guess its a Not To Be Tazer.  There is no question.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

Cummon guys, we all know it's not real. Like you would see a CAP pilot on a ground team.... ;D

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 11, 2007, 03:13:00 PM
Cummon guys, we all know it's not real. Like you would see a CAP pilot on a ground team.... ;D
In case you didn't notice, it was just a green bag, the pilots wings were missing.  I guess somebody forgote their CAPF 5, huh?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

brasda91

Quote from: JC004 on April 08, 2007, 03:08:27 PM
I guess I should load my guns.

Guns?!!  We can have guns in CAP now??!!  It's about time.   >:D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

Quote from: brasda91 on April 12, 2007, 04:30:59 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 08, 2007, 03:08:27 PM
I guess I should load my guns.

Guns?!!  We can have guns in CAP now??!!  It's about time.   >:D

No, no.  I keep them at home.  My Springfield XD follows me just about everywhere except CAP, though.  I am looking into something nice like a Barrett .50 just in case the Black Van is better equipped than we know.

Bring it on, Black Van:

LTC_Gadget

I saw the new Barrett a couple of months ago on an episode of "FutureWeapons" I think it was.  I went Googling for it.  I found a dealer in Arkansas that'll sell them for a shade over $10K.  Now *that's* a gadget!!  ;D
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

JC004

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 13, 2007, 02:02:47 AM
I saw the new Barrett a couple of months ago on an episode of "FutureWeapons" I think it was.  I went Googling for it.  I found a dealer in Arkansas that'll sell them for a shade over $10K.  Now *that's* a gadget!!  ;D

THAT is what needs to be issued to CAP ground teams (with a pack mule to carry it).  Why buy GPS units when we can have these?   ;D

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 13, 2007, 02:30:00 AM
Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 13, 2007, 02:02:47 AM

THAT is what needs to be issued to CAP ground teams (with a pack mule to carry it).  Why buy GPS units when we can have these?   ;D
Nah, we need twin 50's on a top turret w/ remote fire system.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Black van update: We were going down some highway here in Florida and there was a black van, not unlike the one pictured in photos I previously posted from the interweb.  It didn't bother me until I read "Stars fell on..."  I thought to myself (a rarity in of itself)..."that's strange...AHHHH!"  But alas, it passed without incident.  SOOOO, either:
1. It wasn't OUR black van;
2. It was going to report to Maj Gen Pineda;
3. It was returning to AL and got lost (it was heading south);
4. It was going to do its duty on some poor FLWG member, possibly at Sun N Fun (any members go missing today?)

I thought it might be coming for me, but they would have seen me and taken me out.  I have to say, I thought "CRAP!  I didn't get that .50 BMG yet and I'm entirely unarmed!"

afgeo4

Did it have a "Havana or bust" bumper sticker on it?
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 22, 2007, 05:41:35 AM

Other than some scratches, it was completely unmarked.  Well, I can't say if it had an orange triangle on the roof, but it was pretty plain.  The windows weren't as dark as I expected, though...

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 22, 2007, 05:47:02 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on April 22, 2007, 05:41:35 AM

Other than some scratches, it was completely unmarked.  Well, I can't say if it had an orange triangle on the roof, but it was pretty plain.  The windows weren't as dark as I expected, though...
A light at the end of the tunnel?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: JC004 on April 22, 2007, 05:37:07 AM
Black van update: We were going down some highway here in Florida and there was a black van, not unlike the one pictured in photos I previously posted from the interweb.  It didn't bother me until I read "Stars fell on..."  I thought to myself (a rarity in of itself)..."that's strange...AHHHH!"  But alas, it passed without incident.  SOOOO, either:
4. It was going to do its duty on some poor FLWG member, possibly at Sun N Fun (any members go missing today?)

I thought it might be coming for me, but they would have seen me and taken me out.  I have to say, I thought "CRAP!  I didn't get that .50 BMG yet and I'm entirely unarmed!"

Fact is, its well known that they will make you think they are after you and then not follow you to make you think that they aren't after you when in fact they are after you making you think they are not after you while still being after you.

Just because I'm paranoid DOESN'T mean people AREN'T following me....

alexalvarez

A blue van with dark tinted windows keeps going by my house. It also has speakers with loud music playing. Little children keep stopping it and buying ice cream. What do you think is happening here?  ???
Group V Chaplain
Fifty Year Member 2014

LtCol White

Quote from: alexalvarez on April 22, 2007, 05:12:33 PM
A blue van with dark tinted windows keeps going by my house. It also has speakers with loud music playing. Little children keep stopping it and buying ice cream. What do you think is happening here?  ???

Is it always the SAME children who go out to the van??? Have you ever really seen them WITH the icecream??
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 22, 2007, 03:22:38 PM

Fact is, its well known that they will make you think they are after you and then not follow you to make you think that they aren't after you when in fact they are after you making you think they are not after you while still being after you.

You are being watched from above
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: LtCol White on April 23, 2007, 01:00:57 AM
Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 22, 2007, 03:22:38 PM

You are being watched from above

So you are saying we need to worry less about NHQ's Ground team and more about their aircrew?

Do they fly the OV-10 that Ive seen on several "CAP Special Operations Unit" webpages?   Napalm and NVGs? Archer and SDIS....  ;D

I think we would need a .50 to take down an aircraft.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JC004

I guess there are black airplanes and maybe helos too!  OY! 

alexalvarez

How about dark colored bicycles with long red streamers hanging from the handle bars?
Group V Chaplain
Fifty Year Member 2014

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: alexalvarez on April 23, 2007, 04:04:09 AM
How about dark colored bicycles with long red streamers hanging from the handle bars?

Those red streamers are the "Remove before flight" tags that pilots forget to take off before they go flying.

JC004

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 23, 2007, 04:08:45 AM
Quote from: alexalvarez on April 23, 2007, 04:04:09 AM

Those red streamers are the "Remove before flight" tags that pilots forget to take off before they go flying.

I've got one that says "REMOVE TO ARM"

Great, so the race car budget savings went to black vehicles of all descriptions...

When I become National Ruler, after my purging is complete, that money goes into Cadet Programs and one paperclip for each wing and region.

SAR-EMT1

Id like to see CAP get a few Helos from DRMO... be they UH-1s or UH-60s Im impartial.  ::)

And MAYBE we COULD get some OV-10s or OV-1s... get some WP marking rockets for our SAR work. I think willie pete would be perfect for marking wreckage for inbound ground teams... yep.  :)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 23, 2007, 03:04:42 AMSo you are saying we need to worry less about NHQ's Ground team and more about their aircrew?

Do they fly the OV-10 that Ive seen on several "CAP Special Operations Unit" webpages?   Napalm and NVGs? Archer and SDIS....  ;D

I think we would need a .50 to take down an aircraft.

Nah, them guys in 122nd Special Operations Squadron fly the O-2 Pushme-Pullyou.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

floridacyclist

I saw our wing DO's plane this past week in Lakeland....an O-2 complete with WP rockets and .30-cal miniguns in pods under the wings. He said that the  miniguns were actually authorized for a short period but too many O-2 pilots picked fights with the wrong bad guys....like 37mm AA emplacements so they adjusted their attitudes a little by removing them.

Major cool for a Cessna.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Sgt. Savage

aww man....

Where did I leave my aluminum foil hat and my bronze coated sun glasses?

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on April 23, 2007, 02:09:04 PM
I saw our wing DO's plane this past week in Lakeland....an O-2 complete with WP rockets and .30-cal miniguns in pods under the wings. He said that the  miniguns were actually authorized for a short period but too many O-2 pilots picked fights with the wrong bad guys....like 37mm AA emplacements so they adjusted their attitudes a little by removing them.

Major cool for a Cessna.

That has to be the best little Cessna ever.   ;D  Those guns would be great for taking out annoying traffic in your claimed airspace.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2007, 02:54:14 PM
Quote from: floridacyclist on April 23, 2007, 02:09:04 PM

Major cool for a Cessna.

That has to be the best little Cessna ever.   ;D  Those guns would be great for taking out annoying traffic in your claimed airspace.
Like over your Wing, or wherever you want to go.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

stillamarine

Hmm you guys have made me paranoid now.  I know it's not black but with the really really dark tint, maybe they are trying something different to throw us off!!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RogueLeader

What? you didn't hear about the elctronic trackers on your photo ID?  The REAL reason that the images look so bad is to cover up the computer program enlaid into it.  If you are on their good side, your ID looks pretty good, if not, well you've seen the results I'm sure.  Sorry if its a shock.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 23, 2007, 04:32:22 AM
Id like to see CAP get a few Helos from DRMO... be they UH-1s or UH-60s Im impartial.  ::)

And MAYBE we COULD get some OV-10s or OV-1s... get some WP marking rockets for our SAR work. I think willie pete would be perfect for marking wreckage for inbound ground teams... yep.  :)
*Bump

No this is WAY better
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

pixelwonk

Skyray

QuoteId like to see CAP get a few Helos from DRMO... be they UH-1s or UH-60s Im impartial.

Just try to avoid the HH-65s with frog engines.  They are so underpowered that they need ten to thirty knots of wind to hover.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SAR-EMT1

UH-1 Hueys and OV-1 Mohawks...
The god days are yet to come.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

RogueLeader

Bump,
Now that the CAP/CC has been put on ice, do you think that the Black Van has been put back in the hanger?  Or, maybe, it was repainted.  I heard from two unreliable sources in two wings that said BG Courter liked the color Blaze Orange.  I won't say which wings, but they both had an "A" and one had a "P" while the other had a "C" >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Trouble

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 29, 2007, 04:08:24 AM
Bump,
Now that the CAP/CC has been put on ice, do you think that the Black Van has been put back in the hanger?  Or, maybe, it was repainted.  I heard from two unreliable sources in two wings that said BG Courter liked the color Blaze Orange.  I won't say which wings, but they both had an "A" and one had a "P" while the other had a "C" >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Recent Intel suggests that the Black Van has been retired from service and that the Black Bus will be filling the Member Interdiction Role as well as Errant Vendor missions.

See attached photo from recent field trials.

Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

SDF_Specialist

The license plate on the black van was the one I've attached. Don't let them fool you. They aren't always undercover.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more </a>
SDF_Specialist

Cecil DP

Quote from: 1Lt on August 31, 2007, 01:59:38 PM
The license plate on the black van was the one I've attached. Don't let them fool you. They aren't always undercover.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more </a>

The way that plate reads, in some neighborhoods its an endorsement to shoot at the police.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyerthom

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 29, 2007, 04:08:24 AM
Bump,

Winston, there is no black van ...
TC

SDF_Specialist

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 01, 2007, 09:59:32 AM
Quote from: 1Lt on August 31, 2007, 01:59:38 PM

The way that plate reads, in some neighborhoods its an endorsement to shoot at the police.

I'm sure TP would look in the budget to bullet-proof the van. Wait, I smell a new Uniform to come with the black van  :D
SDF_Specialist

Skyray

According to NOTF this morning, the Black Van people now have a web site.

www.caprealtruth.com

The Hayden Interview with the IG is posted there in excerpt form.  Wonder where the information came from?  Not another conspiracy theory Kieloch, just an honest concern with who breached the confidentiality that is supposed to surround IG investigations.  And why there are no excerpts from Pineda and Parker's recorded interviews?
Doug Johnson - Miami

sparks

Don't know where it came from but I'm waiting for the complete unedited version or an official IG report (never see that one). These out takes probably have an agenda behind it somewhere and don't include anything supporting whatever point it's supposed to be making.

Skyray

Quote from: sparks on September 05, 2007, 04:55:47 PM
Don't know where it came from but I'm waiting for the complete unedited version or an official IG report (never see that one). These out takes probably have an agenda behind it somewhere and don't include anything supporting whatever point it's supposed to be making.

Don't know how much you know about Ray Hayden, but IRL he is a certified video deposition technician.  You may get your wish, because he is threatening to post the video of his interview to counter the selective editing of what has been posted so far.

I don't know how germane it is, but a few years ago Andy Skiba and some other high ups in CAP sued Angelo Porco of California Wing and Marie Gorgans of the Southeast Region IG office for defamation over the George Metz matter.  Their attorney was Douglas Abruzzo, a Pineda terminated Florida Wing Senior Member of the Year.  Abruzzo demanded a copy of the Metz IG investigation in discovery, as he is entitled to do.  Rather than produce the investigation, they dismissed the suit.  So there used to be a profound aversion among the Corporate Officers to letting the membership know the truth.  Hopefully that will change with the coming housecleaning.
Doug Johnson - Miami